Going to be sad to see EQ go

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Megazen, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Megazen Elder

I don't want to infer that this current round of....ineptness?...is going to be the nail in the coffin, but it's got me thinking about the demise of EQ. I've never been actually worried that the game was going to "sunset", it's always sort of hobbled along enough to seem viable. That's changed for me. The recent debacle with Aradune, and the seeming solution (enough people will unsub that the problem will go away), doesn't bode well for the future of the game.

I love EQ, in my opinion, it's the best video game ever made. The lore, the classes, the sheer scale, the interaction, the difficulty... EQ does a lot of things right that I can decipher, and some things that I can't. It's those things that I can't decipher that keep me coming back, year after year. There is a magic to this game that just doesn't exist in other offerings. I will be incredibly sad to see that vanish.

I'm on the fence about omens in general, but the "Aradune" debacle doesn't bode well for me. I think you have to be really careful when you name something, especially something that carries a lot of weight for a long time community. If you are going to put your cards out like that, you better make damn sure you can back it up, nothing could be farther from the truth in this case.

/shrug. I've never been worried about this game closing, I am now. I hope I'm wrong. If I'm not, it's been a great run, with some great people, and for me, the best game of all time.
  2. code-zero Augur

Not this again, aren't there already enough of these threads?
    Axxius, minimind, Fenthen and 4 others like this.
  3. Szilent Augur

Their newest fun project turns out temporarily too popular to keep up with, and you interpret that as EQ being *un*healthy? What an odd perspective
    minimind, Fenthen, Kaenneth and 4 others like this.
  4. svann Augur

Instead of starting a new thread please just reply to the other thread with a "me too". Its starting to seem like you just want to spam us.
    minimind and Fenthen like this.
  5. Pawtato Augur

For as much as I poo-poo this game, it made $40m in 2015 and according to Holly she was able to grow revenue. This game isn’t going folding anytime soon, especially with them continually proving they don’t even have to make new content to generate cash. They can get $35 and $15 for a subscription by just opening a new server. Easy cash.

The only negative I’d say about the game’s future is that JChan probably shouldn’t be the studio lead, because it’s obvious they can’t replace her technical skills. It really sucks to tell someone, they’re literally too good at their job to be promoted. I don’t envy her position. There are so many things requiring her attention that I doubt she gets any time off to relax. Hope JChan doesn’t burn out.
  6. IblisTheMage Augur

Megazen, you will encounter some resistance wrt to your opinions, since the game is in a better position economically than it has been for 6-8 years.

Given this, your position wrt the “game’s demise” seem uninformed, and better suited for the TLP fora - this is the Veteran’s Lounge.

Buster_Shruggs likes this.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

LOL. Another "EQ is dead" thread.

Will you lot never learn? :rolleyes:
    Fenthen likes this.
  8. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

yea this is been going on for what 18 19 yrs now?

Andarriel
    Coagagin likes this.
  9. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Even if EQ went into maintenance mode (aka no more content,) it would be years before they actually sunset the game. It doesn't cost a lot of money just to maintain the servers.

So no, EQ isn't going to sunset for a very long time. Ultima Online (1997) hasn't had an expansion in many years and it's running just fine.
  10. Khat_Nip Meow

This thread is as dumb as our president.
    Xyphen, Fenthen, Xanumbik and 4 others like this.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

EQ is stroger than ever thanks to Torment of Velious, many players are enjoying and completing this expansion that couldn't get passed the first zone last time.

We have seen many players return over the last few months, I don't see any reason to think EQ will be ending anytime soon.
  12. Bigstomp Augur

I feel like 2000 is calling. EQ has been on it's death bed since then if you read the forums.
    But... it's still here.

Oh, you were talking about a progression server.
    They're still stuck in 2000.
    So since we're in 2020, you have a good 20 years before you have to worry.
    Coagagin and Yinla like this.
  13. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

Whats an aradune?

TLP? Never heard of it.

I'll be on Xegony with the real players if you need me.
    Coagagin, Yinla and code-zero like this.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Top posts in forums:

#1 I am quitting
    #2 EQ is quitting
    #3 No one cares about #1 or #2 cause both are fake news
    Zamiam and Buster_Shruggs like this.
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

16. Cicelee Augur

There will be a part of me that will be sad when the game sunsets.

However, there will be another part of me that will be excited to have all that game time spent on EQ for other entertainment things I like. As of now when I do have free time away from work, family, sleep, errands and chores... it is spent on EQ. Other games and other hobbies have been completely neglected as I try to "finish" the expansion I am in on my main. And then there is my box and my alt (on the main account) that have a ton to "catch up" on.

I have to make a choice with my entertainment time, and because I am behind on my main I choose EQ. It will be nice to not have that as an option at some point...
  17. Pawtato Augur

There are resources out there for gaming addiction. Maybe I’m reading your post wrong, but just reads as a call for help.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  18. haaaalp Augur

The thousands of subs on Aradune alone beg to differ. LeTs JuSt ThRoW aWaY mIlLiOnS oF dOlLars
  19. p2aa Augur

The game was existing before Aradune, each time a new TLP server launched, some TLP players think their sub are what keep EQ alive.
    It's always starts and ends the same way on these TLP servers, lot of sub at start, then it declines to the point the population is worst than on the worst population Live server. Then the TLP bunch waits for the next TLP server to launch to do it all over again.
    During this time, Live players are the constant influx of income in this game.
    So here is an information for you : the game will still live despite the Aradune income loss due to queues problems and people rage quit threatening to leave with their 50 friends lol.
    Yinla and code-zero like this.
  20. Cicelee Augur

I can understand your concern and where you are coming from, and I thank you for that. Even though it does not apply in this situation.

To me, a gaming addiction (or any sort of addiction per se) is where the person neglects everything else in life and focuses only on that game. They neglect their family, their housework, bills, exercise, etc all in the name of the game. Where they miss work and do poorly at their job because the game consumes them.

For me, as I mentioned previously, I have all the life necessities done. When I do have free time, I have choices. I have games on my Xbox 360, books to read, online poker, two PC games, movies, television shows, and Everquest at my disposal. And because I am wanting to finish everything on my main, and I still have some checkmarks in game to get, I choose Everquest.

I could play a round of golf on my 360 and be done in an hour. I could play an online poker tournament in four hours and be done. I could grab a 300 page book, read an hour of it at night before bed, and be done somewhere within two weeks or less. None of that is true with Everquest, because this game (if you want everything done) is never ending. There is always a carrot to chase, a quest to do, more skill ups to get, and only very few can say they are 100% done with everything.

If EQ sunsets, or I leave it, then that opens up my free time to other things that I know I can start and finish in a timely manner. That is the part of me that is looking forward to that.