Overseer Quests not giving Mercenary experience

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by ABShaman, Jul 7, 2020.

1. ABShaman New Member

I've been running Overseer quests that offer a character experience reward along with a mercenary reward. The character experience reward is being granted but the mercenary experience is not. I've tried these quests on multiple accounts over the past couple days.
    I have screen shots showing the Overseer quest with the promised bonuses for both regular/merc exp percentages, along with before/after screen shots that show the normal exp increasing but not the merc exp.
    Riou likes this.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

You need to have your merc out for it to work.
    lockjaws likes this.
  3. haaaalp Augur

No? I've gotten 30 merc aa through overseer and not once did I unsuspend my merc.
  4. Velisaris_MS Augur

You get merc AA xp in two ways via Overseer:

1. You choose the Mercenary Experience option for your reward (you don't need to have your merc out for this)
    2. You choose the Character Experience option for your reward, which includes merc xp (you MUST have your merc out to get the xp from this)

At lvl 115, you get 3 times as much merc xp if you choose the Character Experience option than if you choose the Mercenary Experience option. The Research quests give the most, followed by Exploration/Trade/Diplomacy, then Military/Stealth, and Plunder/Haresting/Crafting give the least merc AA exp via the Character Experience option.
    Jumbur, Mukkul and lockjaws like this.
  5. Riou EQResource

The main problem is that the "Character Experience" option is worded as if you get Mercenary Experience with no mention of "having to have mercenary out"

It is worded pretty much the same as the "Mercenary Experience" option

So the wording should change to mention this or it should give Mercenary Experience without having to pull the Mercenary out
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Im honestly not sure if it is intentional that the "normal" xp reward should give merc-AAs in the first place?

It makes the "mercenary experience"-option completely irrelevant...
  7. Nenamile New Member

If it is not intended then it is somewhat strange that the rewards for character experience clearly state the percentage of character experience and the percentage of mercenary experience you will receive.
  8. Velisaris_MS Augur

Prior to 110 (I think that's the break point), choosing the Mercenary Experience option gives way more merc AA xp than the Character Experience option. It's only after that point where the Character Experience reward starts to be better than the other option.

So, if you're playing a lower level character and want to get merc AA out of Overseer, you definitely need to be picking the Mercary option as a reward.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

My theory is that the description of the exp-rewards is generated by a generic "tostring function" that describes exp-values, and that they never actually checked what it returned for that particular category of overseer rewards.

The "mercenary exp" and "normal exp" rewards need some tuning if they are supposed to make sense for high levels...

My suggestion, is that they remove the "mercenary portion" from the normal exp reward(maybe add a few AAs instead), and boost the values for the mercenary exp reward instead. Make military/stealth/plunder quests worth something even at higher levels...maybe even add a "fragment of mercenary gear" or something...
  10. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Right and wring. The "Parsed reward exp description" function was added last patch.
    Before that patch, we knew that the player XP option was giving Merc EXP.
    We also knew, it was not intended.

We do plan to move the Player AND Merc to be just player EXP (that was the original intent)

AND We'll decide if we need to tune the merc AA values in the same pass.

BUT we are waiting for some changes under the hood to make all the design changes at once.
    Jumbur and RPoo like this.
  11. Velisaris_MS Augur

Translation:

Everybody get your merc AA xp NOW because we're about to nerf the hell out of it.
    cadres, GoneFission and Fanra like this.