Across zone "others" spells spam

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sheebea, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Sheebea Augur

I have noticed this lately. 2x b4 I changed the chat settings. I have "so and so" cast a spell. Well, I looked around to see who was near. Nobody was. I went searching and found so and so on the other side of the zone. Odd. Never had that happen b 4. Had the same with NPC's casting buffs.
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

Some spells have a very long range, which seems to factor in to how easy it is to see these messages from a distance for whatever reason. When I see this, it often is something like banestrike (from any class) or various SK spells/abilities.
  3. niente Developer

This is a bug and will be fixed soon™. Killshots from PC spells have infinite range.
  4. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

It's definitely not just kill shots.
    lockjaws and Duder like this.
  5. niente Developer

If you have time to make a post in the bug reports forum with more details i.e. logs or what type of target/caster/spell causes infinite range hit reporting, I would be very grateful.
  6. Axxius Augur

Speaking of killshots... Will the double reporting of melee killshots ever be fixed?
  7. Beimeith Lord of the Game

That's been fixed for a while now
  8. Nniki Augur

If you're referring to double killshots, it's been happening all last year and this year.

Examples:
  9. Beimeith Lord of the Game

That looks like it might be the combat messages are out of order, (that happens for some things) or it might be that it isn't properly exiting the combat routine when the target dies and generating a second message? It's strange.

Regardless, the double killshot thing was when the last hit was reported twice and that isn't what's happening in that log.

This seems to be some other (new) kind of bug. (Or it could be an old bug that was covered up by the previous bug and now that's fixed we see this bug).
  10. Axxius Augur

Old or new, happening all the time. I suspect it happens when the mob is killed by a double attack, or something like that.
    Code:
    [Mon Jul 06 19:33:53 2020] Daman laments, 'How could this happen? Must I lose ALL of my dearest friends before you're satisifed, Nosja?'
    [Mon Jul 06 19:33:53 2020] You gained raid experience (with a bonus)!
    [Mon Jul 06 19:33:53 2020] Lerty has been slain by Thunderkiks!
    [Mon Jul 06 19:33:53 2020] Lerty has been slain by Thunderkiks!
  11. Tevik Augur

Clearly, Thunderkiks is the Chuck Norris of Norrath. She'll hit you so hard, you'll die twice.
    Eaiana and Thunderkiks like this.
  12. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Possible, but it clearly isn't melee combat given that all of Nniki's examples are spells.

I'm thinking it's caused by Zone/World lag causing the spell combat routine to not exit properly (aka early) when the target dies.

I haven't been able to make it happen on demand, which leads me to believe lag might be playing a part.
  13. lockjaws Augur

I just like it when GamParse shows someone else's DPS on a mob I am not fighting and they are nowhere near where I am. Like, one strike for 14k damage, and then nothing else.
    Fenthen likes this.
  14. lockjaws Augur

[Thu Jul 09 08:17:00 2020] Player1 hit a frozen fright for 524627 points of fire damage by Ethereal Brand.
    [Thu Jul 09 08:17:32 2020] Player2 hit a restless Coldain for 35917 points of physical damage by Gut Punch Strike XIII.
    [Thu Jul 09 08:19:05 2020] Player3 hit a restless Coldain for 531862 points of chromatic damage by Mindslash.
    [Thu Jul 09 08:19:09 2020] Player4 hit a restless griffin for 2532947 points of magic damage by Mangler's Resolution.
    [Thu Jul 09 08:19:16 2020] Player5 hit a mammoth for 48004 points of cold damage by Restless Lance Rk. II.
    [Thu Jul 09 08:21:20 2020] Player5 hit a frosted mammoth for 84710 points of disease damage by Vkjen's Disease Strike.
    [Thu Jul 09 08:22:00 2020] Player6 hit a dire wolf for 24917 points of disease damage by Cadcane's Horror Strike II.

These characters are more than 1500 units away from me. Why is this spell range so long?
  15. Nadisia Augur

And while some messages have a silly range, some others are ridiculously short :

Soandso 's detrimental magic splits with Twincast.

If you're not in melee range, you won't see it.

It would be really nice to be able to track others players procs, at least in your own group, or raid.
    But no, you need to sit literally on his head to see the message :p.

This dmg and spells messages system really needs to be consolidated, because for now it doesn't make any sense.

It's like working with iterations on mixed 0-based and 1-based indexed objects at the same time.
    It's silly, stupid, counter productive and it hurts the brain :D