Time to BAN all the 'special trackers' out there

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Trebor, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Trebor Journeyman

The amount of people clearly using 3rd party programs to track everything in zone is *staggering*. It should be easily detectable, they're all using it on the same PC they play Everquest with (compared to the old days of packet sniffing on another computer)

I get we no longer have the Play Nice guide, and there's thousands of people who don't care about other people's experience (camp stealing, named sniping other psychopathic behavior). But now we're just enabling their ability to grief everyone.

Imagine how many bans they would get if everyone using this unnamed program were banned right now.

Devs, why is nothing being done about this?
  2. Tucoh Augur

Would definitely be interesting to see a clandestine operation that tracked who was using it over a month and then a ban wave on them all, but my guess is that they don't have the balls, would send out a suspension/warning and everyone who still wanted to use it would take trivial precautions to continue using it in an undetectable way.
  3. Angered Augur

EVERYONE IS DOING IT SO THAT MEANS ITS OK! IF THEY WONT POLICE BOTS DO YOU REALLY THINK THERE GOING TO POLICE SOME CRAPPY MAP HACK? GET REAL! GET MAP HACK AND FIGHT BACK ! #AVENGERSASSEMBLE! wE KILL BOTS AND FARMERS TRYING TO START A NEW THING
  4. Jaime Lannister Augur

Afk necros and mages at prime camps are about 10 more worthy of bans than Wizard Track, and they don't even begin to police that.

Think they are going to ban half the server for Wizard Track?

Just go Download it, it's free and easy af to set up.
    Or spend 10$ and Dl a version that's set up for you.
  5. Honkietonk Lorekeeper

Yeah, honestly, if they banned everyone using ShowEQ, the majority of the playerbase would disappear overnight. You might as well just download it at this point, it's been available for what, a decade? They haven't cared yet and I doubt they will. Ban waving everyone using it would kill their own game.
    TheChosenOne likes this.
  6. KimchiGoddess Augur

What does it even do that isn't on the two letter programs maps? I don't think that program is the be all end all for seeing what's up in game. I've never used it though so I could be horribly wrong.
  7. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Tracking is the less bothersome aspect of this program, since playing a tracker class can often help almost as much as the program.

But being able to see a map of ground spawns, especially once you get to RoF+ expansions when collectibles come in to game, I can't imagine the number of hours it would save me being able to have a map that shows every ground spawn in a zone versus the current method of running around fairly aimlessly trying to figure out where each collectible is. It is so bad in some Heroic Adventures where finding the 4 collectible spawns takes longer than the actual mission itself.

Rather than banning everyone using it I would much rather see Tracking farmed out to more classes through AAs like Forage was, and add ground spawns to tracking or make Sense Heading useful again and make it Sense Groundspawn and direct you to the nearest groundspawn. This way people not using the 3rd party program aren't at an extreme disadvantage.
  8. Honkietonk Lorekeeper

It's the real eyes in the sky. It'll show you everything up in a zone, it keeps lists of spawn points with timers for when they'll repop, it will give sound alerts when chosen things do repop. The second you enter a zone, you'll know every rare in the zone and if anyone else is close. You'll know as soon as a rare mob pops. The "top guilds" in every TLP run these on level 17/46 monks, feigned in random corners of any raid boss zone attached to an alert that pings a discord as soon as any open world boss spawns. And this isn't just limited to them. A very sizable portion of the playerbase uses this, even casual players, because it's just too much of a disadvantage not to.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

I don't think there is any way to detect when folks are using S h o w E Q.
  10. Duality Augur

That ban wave would hurt them badly. I've never used the stuff, but back on phinny in just about every group I was in, at least one person claimed to be able to track that wasn't a tracker. Just on aradune I watched a Mob spAwn and beFore it Appeared on druid tracKing, the guy from Another camp was already there snatching it. But, there's more important stuff they should focus on over a few second jump, like adjusting outdated server rule-sets!
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think the ban that the OP is calling for would be a massive mistake.

I get that he is fed up of getting beaten to spawns etc, I get that he is angry, but if his idea was realised he would never have to worry about missing a spawn ever again, not because he gets beaten to it but because this game would end up getting shut down.
  12. Tucoh Augur

That's true, but I think most people are using the windows version that they can find by inspecting processes running on the windows PC. Anyone who wanted to be secretive can use the linux version in a VM (which EQ can also detect if they wanted to) and anyone who wanted to be super secretive can echo network traffic to a completely different PC or tap into the network stream at a hardware level.

But yeah, if they just iced everyone using the windows version it'd probably hit 90%+ of people using it.
  13. nodontcarekkthxbye Augur

The word youre looking for is sociopathic, not psychopathic.

Think I may download this if everyone else is using it.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware there was a Windows version. Makes sense.
  15. Healiez Augur

Except what you are saying is illegal.

They are not allowed to monitor or inspect the processes running on your computer.
  16. Trubles New Member

They totally can inspect running processes on your computer. That's what a EULA is for kiddo!
  17. Captain Video Augur

There is, and always has been, a totally different approach to the problem. Simply make it so a non-raid OW mob can't be engaged until at least 30 seconds after it spawns. This would give players and groups using legal in-game tracking a fair opportunity to reach the mob before the "insta-trackers" can engage and destroy. Would it affect gameplay strategies all over the place? Yes of course. Is it still perhaps the lesser of two evils? Not my place to say, but I wouldn't complain if they did this.
  18. Honkietonk Lorekeeper

yeah, so now if you're camping in a room with a rare as it spawns, all the special trackers have 30 seconds to reach you to dps race you for it when it's attackable!
  19. KimchiGoddess Augur

Okay so it's definitely a bigger deal than I thought!
  20. That0neguy Augur

I think calling for a ban is against the rules.