DPS Racing VS Camping Courtesy - Which is it?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Blason, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Blason New Member

Hey all, I could use some help or clarification, or maybe I just need to vent?)

I'm still trying to figure out camping courtesy. In giant fields people will come rip the mob off of you, but if you camp anywhere near an exp camp or named in a dungeon they lose their minds.

I've asked about this in a few places, and lots of people have responded that the giant fields are a 'toxic wild west' scenario. I'm okay with dps racing and the rule that there are no camps but everyone seems to switch between the racing rule and courtesy rules when it benefits them. Where is the consistency? I don't get how that's the rule at giants but if I camp the charred bp mob with mages who are just sitting (afk?) I'm the jerk.

The other day I was camping a mob and I was the only one there for two hours and an exp group comes in, and after about 10 minutes they were cussing me out in tells and ooc for pulling their mobs, despite being there first! I was even leaving every single mob up that wasn't the mob I needed but I'm in the wrong again. If I really wanted to be a jerk, I could have pulled everything and kept them myself!

I'm expecting most people to reply that I have to toughen up a bit in regards to how I treat camps and in regards to how I take the feedback I'm given when people aren't happy, but I'd love to hear how other people feel about this, and if they have any suggestions.
    Aenvar likes this.
  2. Pumpernickel Lorekeeper

For the TLP community "camps" don't really exist but they are somewhat respected. It's all FFA and DPS race. Also don't pay too much attention to people freaking out over camps. The same people who will fill your tell windows with angry vitriol because you pulled that one froglok in front of their hamlord camp that they have not been pulling for 45 minutes are the same people who if given the upper hand will come and steal your named mobs.
  3. Blason New Member

Thanks, this is exactly the feeling I get when this kind of stuff happens.
  4. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

A) Are you a d*ck?

B) Are you a pushover?

C) Or are you a normal person?

A people will bring up dps race on everything, will pull mobs off you, will wait for you to spawn a named then steal it, will trash talk in open channels and mock you in tells, and will do this all while talking about how its "just a game" and mocking people when they get upset.

B people let A people do what they want, and just whine about it in open channels, whine about it on the forums, or log off and/or quit and wallow in feeling aggrieved.

C people are most of us. We respect a camp if you're holding it. If you leave mobs up for a long time, we'll not feel bad about pulling them. We won't ever pull a mob off you that you are already fighting. If we see someone else at a camp we want, we'll ask politely how long you'll be, or just go find something else to do. If someone starts encroaching on our camp, we'll evaluate what its worth and what we can do. Sometimes you fight back, sometimes its not worth it.

Doesn't do any good to whine about the type A people. They won't change. You can fight back against them with yourself or friends if its worth it, or just let it go and recognize they are pieces of sh*t and there is no use fighting it long term.

This is about the game of course, in real life sometimes A people need a severe beat down.
  5. jeskola pheerie

IKR, I hate having to DPS race IRL when I go camping and find someone in my tent.
    Marton, Yinla, Boze and 1 other person like this.
  6. Gynek Lorekeeper

This is honestly the funniest thing I think I have ever read in these forums. Might be the sleep deprivation.
  7. discordkitty Augur

The POLITE thing to do is respecting the camp,but DPG sanctions DPS races. Just find something to do that doesn't have to involve screwing over another player is the best thing to do. Nothing stopping you from being a complete tho.
  8. Beep Elder

DPS races are basically how real life works, not sure why you'd expect it to change in a game. Get some bootstraps!
  9. Tweakfour17 Augur

DPG's official stance is DPS race since they can't be bothered to police every play nice gripe that people would have. This gives a subset of people the impression that they can do whatever the hell they want because "DPS is king", which is true, but being right and being a good person don't have to go hand in hand. For the most part people will generally respect your camp if you are keeping it clear (although sometimes a polite "hey, I'm here" can go along way if their pick collapses or they don't notice you etc). DPS racing is more prevalent on OW raid mobs, rare spawn epic mobs (Verina Tomb for example), Expansion progression pieces/mobs (PoStorms Giants) or rare mobs without a static spawn points like Ancient Cyclops.
    Vinlail and Weebles101 like this.
  10. Stune Augur

Just make 4 box accounts and DPS race the other 4 box accounts sitting there, and 1 extra watching the zone IN for named to pop. Usually a top end guild, with a very bad rep.
  11. Vanyana New Member

https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/230629007-Everquest-Rules-of-Conduct

1.1 Play Nice Policies - Activity within EverQuest

In addition to the Rules of Conduct listed in section 1.0, players are also subject to these supplementary guidelines while playing EverQuest. While by no means an all-inclusive list of the do's and don'ts in EverQuest, it provides a suitable foundation by which the player can determine what activities are appropriate:

There will be no first in force or engage rules arbitrated or enforced by a Game Master or Guide on any server. We believe players can resolve disputes about camps and raid bosses between each other. Game Masters and Guides will not help negotiate these disputes between players and guilds.

1. Foul language is not permitted, in any language.

Excessive use of foul language in an inappropriate context, including swear words, real-world racial slurs, and other language that is not consistent with the fantasy environment and designed to hurt, will be considered a disruption. The existence of the filter (/filter) is not a license to be profane.

Now as you see, they have every right to attack said mobs, likewise you had every right to attack the mobs that they wanted.. It's survival of the fittest. However you should have reported them for foul language and let them enjoy a few days outside to get some sun during the middle of June. After all it will help their bodies to produce vitamin D, which in turn will help to keep them healthy. It's actually the polite thing to do. :)
  12. Ronluwen Elder

People will freak out over everything in this game. I had a level 45 bard at seafuries pulling 5 at a time tell me that he hopes i get aids and die because i would dot up two or three of them and ks. I felt like I was being generous, but he did not agree. I have had death wished upon me no less than 10 times at seafuries, because people are just kind of crazy.

A good portion of the people freaking out about "tagged" mobs are P99ers. They aren't quite used to the ruleset here.
  13. Thrawnseg Augur

If you are a normal player, you most likely respect camps.

If you are in "Thats EQ Baby", you DPS everyone while taking what you want. It's how we roll. The server is ours, all OW targets are ours, "camps" are ours. You want it, you gotta beat us for it.
  14. HicksAradune Augur

Sound like you're a little upset - please send me a tell in game and i'll comfort you
  15. Cydonia Elder

I tend to respect camps, but I’m not above responding in kind when people abuse that and don’t reciprocate.
    For instance, the example you gave where you were there first, I’d have pulled absolutely everything once they started giving you crap.
  16. Hinastorm86 Augur

The vast majority of the playerbase respects camps. The definition of a camp varies, but essentially it's within a certain radius of where a group is pulling to. The radius will varie by zone, and by the group.

If mobs sit unkilled in their camp radius for X amt of time, they are free game. X being however generous you feel.

For what it's worth i've let mobs sit there by groups for over 20 minutes sometimes, i'll go to pull them, then suddenly they show up to snag them. I'm not quite sure what that's all about, but it's happened multiple times recently.
    Yinla likes this.
  17. Cydonia Elder

Because we all play online fantasy games cause they reflect real life right?
    Dunamys likes this.
  18. HoodenShuklak Augur

A lot of people I've found on eq just have no social skills, and you really can't reason with them. It's bizarre but not at all uncommon in eq.

Their aren't many rules in eq so they're free to do what they want. But you are as well. If someone comes up and says camps aren't a thing then just get ready for a dps race. Any normal or decent person will just move on, but arguing with eq autists is an absolute no win scenario.
    topple, Yinla, Kittany and 2 others like this.
  19. Bardsong29 New Member

"Camps" only exist within the mind of a weak player who is out-of-touch with this game. All that matters is DPS.

You only see dungeon camps "respected" because of the difficulties to coordinate DPS with multiple random players and the threat of training as retaliation. If a group was on Discord they would have no issue (and don't) taking an entire exp camp away from another group.

The other group would cry about camps and threaten reports but they are just trying to bully a stronger and more coordinated force into leaving with lies and guilt.
  20. HoodenShuklak Augur

Wow we couldn't have asked for a better example to illustrate the post exactly one prior.
    GamerGramps, Pelrond, Kittany and 5 others like this.