Selo Truebox

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Pappasalt, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Pappasalt Augur

So I just wanted to put my two cents in on this and not sure how the rest of the population feels but will be posting this in appropriate discords to see if people agree.

Not just for Selo but for servers that start to dwindle, which seems to be around PoR - SoF, why isn't truebox rule removed around then exactly? Selo for example is about 8 months out from going to Live version, which we have heard no information on what will be done at that time (I personally hope for a server merge), but with that do you mean to tell me we are going to be a non truebox live server? I don't understand the point once the population drops off? Perhaps something for the team to look at if you don't mind :D.
  2. FranktheBank Augur

We talk about this a lot. Truebox is really seen as a way to combat the early stages of EQ where you have open world targets to hit and things to contest. I think after PoR would be a fantastic place to end truebox.

Post PoR I can't think of a single flagging requirement that is contested that is not resolved with picks. There is a couple OW bosses in TSS that drop mid-tier gear. SoF has the mini boss in Fort Mech who drops like low tier raid loot.

As for what happens when we hit live, I kinda don't want to know what DBG has planned yet, if they know. I know I definitely do not want a merge. I think keeping us semi-unique would be cool. Maybe something like remove truebox, remove faction bonus and half lockouts. Keep xp bonus and aocs.
  3. Nolrog Augur

4. Duality Augur

Long overdue. If they're going to keep up with the yearly deja-vu, start one true box limit 1 and the other free box. Merge by OOW when one can support both. I think it's better for it [free-box] to be in before the 75 slum to keep interest.
  5. jeskola pheerie

The last time they answered this (a while ago), it was along the lines of "server rulesets are permanent, you knew what you were getting into when you started there" which is a completely lazy way to look at this. Hopefully minds have changed.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. gladiatoreq Elder

Bumping this for relevance on Phinny too. Remove Truebox post-PoR.
  7. Tweakfour17 Augur

And Coirnav, no reason for Trubox on any of these servers anymore beyond being artificial handcuffs
  8. Pikollo Augur

Pros and Cons

Pros - More people would probably pay for more accounts. Would boost the community slightly and give Darkpaw some more money. On Selo it can be tough flagging in a month and it would give us the ability to sign a raider on that has to miss a night to get them flags. I personally hate 2 PC boxing and would rather window so I can use one KB/mouse. And as the community dwindles away its easier for those wanting to stay to form their own groups.

Cons - (Correct me if I am wrong) removing Truebox would allow for more 3P programs like . While not everyone uses things like for nefarious things some do and we'd have to accept that. Bot armies would be more rampant. There wouldn't be anything to stop them and it may cause a problem in new expansions when trying to group progress. Not to concerned with box armies as anyone running their 6+ groups is probably already using a 3P program. Darkpaw either doesn't care or doesn't have the resources to police stuff like this other then with Truebox.

Lets face it. The cons already exist on every Truebox server. The only difference is removing Truebox makes it easier for the cons to exist. With that being said I'd agree to remove it. But they won't even listen to their community about the needs of individual servers so why listen to this? In the end the point is probably moot as nothing will change. Rizlona and Aradune have been released so all previous TLP become the unwanted older child they screwed up on and military school is to expensive.

tl;dr Darkpaw is bad parents.
  9. Thalliius Augur

Coirnav with truebox rules going forward is pretty sadistic... the XP was soooo slow on that server
  10. HoodenShuklak Augur

Looks like the majority of the server has weighed in at this point.

It's definitely a good idea that's been mentioned before. Mature servers pre mercs but long past their prime just bleed players.
  11. Sarcasm Bird New Member

I'm going to agree that true box has a drop dead date and we've gone past that.

Aside from the first week of a new month everything dies down as people go play on live or other TLP servers.
  12. That0neguy Augur

Probably a bad idea to list breaking the rules as a "pro" to removing truebox.
  13. HoodenShuklak Augur

If you break a rule and there is nobody around to enforce it, does it make a sound?
  14. Megazen Elder

I really wish they would do this, I'd love to be able to 2 box on Selo without this idiotic true box stuff, such a useless pain in the rear.
  15. HoodenShuklak Augur

This is another pro that was brought up the first time this idea was pitched...

IF they remove truebox around PoR then all the people that would have quit already may or may not change, but it's almost a certainty that some of the players will add more boxes because they do not want to TLP hop, and are trying to continue on a "dead" server.
  16. HoodenShuklak Augur

So here is a legitimate question, what are the negatives of removing truebox around 70 era (at least in my experience this is when EQ's content almost drives people away and mercs are still not there to help soloists)?

The only negative I can think of is that groups may get harder to find, and there is definitely merit here, but how big is the tradeoff? I did not pug a ton around level 70, and all I can do is surmise that because groups were so hard to get already, that casuals simply left.

(The other negative I could see possibly being an issue is if truebox is tied to macaroni then you end up with stuff like Lockjaw where 40 man raids afk farm zones for days on end, ala Sirens Grotto.)
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

There are none, IMO. At 70 you likely aren't doing PUGs anymore anyway. It'll be friends and guildies grouping.

I'm a TrueBoxer and even if it were removed on Phinny I'd still true box. But for everyone else who despises it, I say remove it.
  18. Tierdal Augur

Truebox really should be removed at this point. Might actually bring people to the server.
  19. Tweakfour17 Augur

Yeah, wish they would consider it, so much easier to fill in gaps without having to buy another cheap laptop that barely runs windows lol
  20. HoodenShuklak Augur

I'd argue the damage is sufficiently done on a server as mature as level 90+, but current and future tlps really have a vested interest in this idea if the player wants to actually progress rather than play groundhog day eq.

There's nothing wrong with people who want to roll classic every year or 6 months but they have a lot of options. Players trying to see progression through the eras, meanwhile, face constant attrition with the deck stacked against them.