Paladin (or warrior) + _____________

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Cicelee, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Cicelee Augur

Currently play a magician and bard combo. Each account has free heroic characters on it. I have always wanted to play a tank class, and as my magician gets closer to being done with everything I am contemplating using a heroic on each account and trying the tank box.

I prefer to play a paladin, although I do not know how much time during combat I need to spend on it. I do not want a SK. I would consider a warrior if they are easier to box and are not time consuming during battles.

Keep in mind during combat on mage/bard I spend all my time on mage. Bard is an attack, melody and forget character. Would prefer my heroic duo to have one forget about it during combat toon as well.

So having said all that, what is the best combo for the paladin (or warrior)? Also which one of the combo would you put on mage account, and which goes on the bard account? In the event that the heroics get to 115, I could always box the mage with whomever is on bard account.

Thanks all for your opinions and responses
  2. Metanis Bad Company

In the long run you'd be a lot happier putting a Pally on a 3rd account.
    Petalonyx likes this.
  3. Zalamyr Augur

Pallies are pretty focus intensive. Warriors significantly less so.

Bards are good boxes for pallies, but you've already got one. I'd go druid with bard being out. Fills in extra healing, DPS, tracking, and box convenience (ports).

If extra accounts aren't an option, I'd put the pally on the mage account and the druid on the bard account. That way you could still play pally/bard when need be. It would also open up mage/druid, which is another solid combo.
    Quatr, Skuz, Waitwhat and 1 other person like this.
  4. Wikichant New Member

If you pick paladin, then box a caster - something you can quickly click to, hit a dps macro, and click back. Paladins will basically always be casting at high levels (mashing multi-bind key) so you need to have 90% of your focus on them (in current content). Just my 2 cents.

Use Warrior if you want to be more active on whatever class you choose to box.
    Allayna likes this.
  5. p2aa Augur

People that constantly writing that warriors are significantly not mash button intensive, just have to stand in front of the mob, click 1 thing per minute or so, and be done with it, have either not played a warrior, or have played a warrior at a very low skill potential.
    As a warrior main, i'm always clicking something, like my always on mash key, but also an aggro mash key, chaining my mitigation ability, clicking DPS disc as they refresh ...
    You can always play a subpar warrior as a box tank sure, but if you think that you have played your warrior to 50 % of its potential by clicking your single aggro button once per minute, and one mitigation thing every 2 min, then you are very far of reality.
  6. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Everything stated here is absolutely true but the otherside of the coin is that if you are just two boxing pretty much any of the tanks can hold aggro with a few clicks at the beginning of a fight, a few throughout and auto attack. You really don't need that much threat in a two boxing situation unless the second box is going full burn or something.

One of the "problems" with adding a tank to your box is that it sort of becomes your 'main' character by default. My reccomendation even despite what I said above is that if you don't want your main focus to be on the tank character then don't add one. Rely on a tank merc, a mage or beastlord pet or whatever and you can still do 99% of the content in the game outside of T2 or above in recent expansion.
    Skuz and Metanis like this.
  7. Petalonyx Augur

I'd really consider paladin on 3rd account, as someone mentioned early on.

You will run at roughly half or worse dps vs live mobs if you don't.

You get campfires with 3, and empowered campfire stat boosts.

You fill out group with a 3rd merc.

You may play paladin as 2H dps healer, which is very effective, AND a fairly easy box role.

You have 2 easy-to-box chars already.
  8. p2aa Augur

The parts about the warrior were clearly wrong.
  9. Raptorjesus5 Augur

It was you I quoted so I'm confused... are you saying you think warriors don't have lots of buttons to press and can be played to their potential with mostly auto attacking?
  10. Cicelee Augur

I agree and understand all you and Metanis said earlier.

At this time, a third account is not part of the equation. Mostly from a financial standpoint- I can afford it, but my wife would probably forbid another $140 per year for a third toon year subscription and expansion. She hates I play two to begin with LOL

And in all honesty if I did play a third it would probably be either an enchanter or a druid, something more beneficial to the magician...
    Metanis likes this.
  11. Metanis Bad Company

In light of this I'd put a warrior on the mage's account and try boxing a war/bard combo. You'll need a healer merc and probably a melee dps merc to round out the group. Your bard can shine with melee dps songs.

For ranged stuff you'll be at a wicked disadvantage however. A wizzie merc will just get summonsed and die a lot.

You'll have to split time between the bard and the warrior depending on the difficulty of the mobs, the pulls, and how much crowd control you need to do on the bard.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  12. Tucoh Augur

I hit a lot of stuff too but a warrior can pretty much run up to a mob, mash a few keys to get aggro, activate a few defensive abilities and auto attack + concordant expanse to maintain aggro and be at about 90% of their potential in simple 1/2 mob situations you find in boxing. All the extra DPS and mitigation from spamming abilities like shield sunder are great and good warriors should use them on cooldown, but they are nearly as critical as what a pal/shd spams out.
  13. Tucoh Augur

You've got a few good options:
    1. Third account, which you aren't interested in.
    2. Level up from heroic together. Here I'd recommend paladin/bard, paladin/druid, war/bard, war/sha
    3. Use vitality to level up a paladin / warrior to where they can group with the bard or mage.

If you do #2, any of those options are good. If you're looking for something fresh I'd recommend war/sha because it is the most different from mag/brd.

If you do #3, it's worth considering doing pal/mag so you can use your strongest and best equipped character, though pal/brd or war/brd are two of the strongest duos on live. With a pal/mag group it's reasonable to actually drive the group with the mage like you do with mag/brd, and use the paladin as a healer and 2H DPS. This will also be much easier to start with as you gear/level the paladin.
  14. The real Sandaormo Augur

Warrior is not an oh by the way I have an alt Warrior kind of class. There is too much work to be put in to make them relevant. Unless Warrior is your real focus I would go with a Paladin of an SK.

This coming from a Warrior that would never change classes too lol
  15. p2aa Augur

Ok i took it wrong, i thought what others said was what what you considered true, sorry there.

Similar for a box knight then, a box knight could mash one time his aggro spell multibind, activate one defensive ability, and auto attack, and be done with it, that's not different than a warrior. And in both cases, this is certainly very far of 90 % of the potential of a well played tank class.

To the OP, there isn't any class in modern EQ that is not constant clicking something nowadays, so just choose the tank class that appeals you the most, and work on it.
    If paladin style is what you prefer, then go paladin.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  16. Petalonyx Augur

I think it's less about class and more about roll.

Tanking takes much more effort to reach 90% effectiveness. That's true even for a pet class maximizing their pet tanking potential with runes, heals, positioning, etc.

In contrast, a Paladin can easily reach 90% of their DPS role with a few button activations, auto attack, and afk. That, in combination with a half dozen instant cast party saved is why Paladin is actually a respectable choice in box groups as a non tank or emergency tank.

Cicelee, have u considered Pal/SK, Pal/Nec, Pal/Bst? Those combos would allow you some latitude in the paladin non tank role as DPS/Healer.
  17. IblisTheMage Augur

You told your wife that when you box, you have to pay for multple accounts?

Noob.

:-D :-D :-D

Have you considered a F2P melody-bard as third? War/Mage/Bard sounds uncomplicated, you can get arround, and you can do alot quite simply, while still dive into more complex utilization when you want to start tuning.
  18. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I'd suggest getting the balls out of her purse first, lol.

EQ is extremely cheap entertainment. You can spend more in ONE night out doing something than in a YEAR of playing eq. Keeps people out of trouble too.

I know of several people that used the game to help get rid of their drinking problem.
    Allayna likes this.
  19. Maedhros High King

I would say that none of the 3 tank classes tend to be great as alts. I've known a lot of alt tanks that can get by but very very few that excelled. Even if the person behind the toon is an elite player, there is simply too much effort needed to max out a tank alt to put it in the same category as an elite tank main.
    Also, alt knights take all of the same effort as warriors do with their gear to be relevant, but about 15k more AA.
  20. Allayna Augur

And I'll disagree with a few others above. ToV was one of the easiest expansions in years. My 100% group geared alt paladin with many many empty aug slots, tanks just fine in ToV.

What I'm getting at here, pick up a third F2P account as a paladin. You can wear a full set of ToV T1 gear without ever owning the expansion, I'm sure it'll take you a bit to get it caught up to 115 anyway and just buy the family pack this year with the new expansion.

Obvious benefits of a paladin is the self and group healing. Downside is that you'll mash heavier on a paladin than an SK or War in my experience.

Hell. They even gave SKs a backdoor AE stun. Presence of Fear.

Although it was easier to tank pre-belt nerf.