Everquest RP

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by enclee, Jun 2, 2020.

1. enclee Augur

So, I’m bored and wondering whatever happened to EQ Roleplaying? Was it ever popular? When did it die off?
    Seor likes this.
  2. Lumenace Journeyman

About five minutes after the first ninja loot.
    Julius, Tatanka and Buster_Shruggs like this.
  3. Chopin.Xegony Augur

Ive been playing since august of 1999 and never really encountered much roleplaying other than men pretending to be women and that roleplaying still goes on plenty today.

If you are talking about D&D tabletop style roleplaying I've never seen it be a part of EQ
    Buster_Shruggs likes this.
  4. Buster_Shruggs Augur

ROFL. That's funny; I suppose we are all roleplaying, with the exception of those of us who have human characters!
  5. Buster_Shruggs Augur

A friend of mine got me started on EQ; during AIT in the ARMY, I would hear him yelling and cursing in his room... he played on a pvp server.
  6. SylSyl Lorekeeper

It existed at launch. There were whole guilds of just-trolls, or all-gnomes, that did well, and various other RP guilds, especially guilds that had formed in earlier games and moved to EQ. But EQ ultimately caters to a different audience. Raiding, for instance, tends to require all classes; most races can't be every class. Mixed-level groups weren't well supported. And staying busy grinding was important to success, spending time RPing anything other than grinding loot and XP tended to get you left behind. A particularly high percentage of the rewards (money, loot, etc.) went to the highest-level characters. There was no way to be part of both a raiding guild and a RP guild at the same time. There wasn't much, if any, support for RP on the EQ forums either; guilds could fashion their own websites, but RP just wasn't encouraged, nourished, or supported as a community.

Or, if you mean the EQ tabletop roleplaying system, with the hardcover books... it was never real popular. It wasn't a particularly good or innovative system. Also it's hard to find a dense enough concentration of EQ fans (who aren't busy playing EQ online) to get a game going locally. Nowadays people would just play online with Roll20 or Discord or somesuch, but that wasn't practical at the time.
  7. Wulfhere Augur

Rallos Zek had a grand pvp roleplaying community for the first year or two, By Luclin it was on the wane.
    Julius likes this.
  8. Vumad Cape Wearer

The Tier`Dal are the one true race.
    Lilybeme and eqgamer like this.
  9. Kalabourene New Member

I had several people RPing for about 15 minutes on FV in the middle of PoK simply because I RP. If you RP, even if only lightly ( i am not super strict on it) others naturally fall in (this is where I make some general sweeping statement about people who dont roleplay like the fellow above did about people who do). Honestly, if you like it, just do it whenever possible. You will find others will respond in kind.
  10. Grove Augur

Something like, "Kind, Sir, I would be ever so grateful, if you would bless me with fleet feet" comes across as welcome conversation.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

Wretched halfling. You and your fur foot brethren hold no value within Norrath beyond your inferior spells in the absence of Tier'Dal blessings. Cast your beneficial spells before I smite thee as I did the false god Innoruuk.

Still welcomed? Just clarifying if you like the fantasy verbiage or just the back side kissing you do not deserve from a Tier`Dal.
  12. Shanarias Augur

Absolutely hilarious! :D
    I once heard a guy in EC (Years ago) tell someone "prithee remove your self from my immediate presence lest I polish my JBoots on your nether regions". It took me nearly a week before I could think about that without laughing.
  13. Seor New Member

My old guild on Karana spent probably the first year of the game RPing and we had a war and rivalries with other guilds and racial issues etc. it wasn’t as dedicated as DND but it was far above anything seen in recent years. Evil players still at least goof RP though. The other day I saw some SK in an animated discussion about eating different shorties. Don’t give up on it. It can still add some humor and spice at times. But it’s never been an RP paradise. The fact that there is a switch for it....

Now some old MUDs used to really be RP intense but now everyone prefers graphics
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

The RP was in EQ when a large number of the EQ players were RPers from D&D. Same on Ultima Online which had even more D&Ders on it. Ultima had some hard core RPers for the first few years. As the online population got diluted by the general populace RPing died out.

You have to remember that RPing was central to D&D play but wasn't nearly as well supported in online games so those new to online didn't get into it for the most part. I can't imagine a D&D game without RP but its not even close to being required in most online games.
  15. Vumad Cape Wearer

Role playing is what I do from the time I log out of EverQuest until I log back into EverQuest. There's no role playing in EverQuest. That's the me time.
  16. Vumad Cape Wearer

The best part of boxing is that all of my personalities get to breathe. I'm not sure everyone even realizes they are boxes as they have conversations with each other. They each represent a part of myself. Like my wood elf ranger, which represents the part of myself that disgusts me.
    Celephane and Kalabourene like this.
  17. minimind The Village Idiot

In 1999, I RP'd because that's what I thought was appropriate. I disappeared and came back during Velious did the same. I disappeared again, came back during LDoN, and things changed. I would communicate in character in /shout and then I'd see people "LOL" in /OOC. Then people would ask me, "Why are you shouting?"

I haven't RP'd since. I've almost missed it at times (being a big, stupid ogre is a great excuse for not having responsibilities in-game), but it feels like less of an option as the game has gotten more complex and more clear communication is required.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

19. Kalabourene New Member

My group of three has conversations with each other as well.
  20. Questoften32 Augur

Just suspend disbelief for the sake of enjoyment, in game....and as told you in life, come to think of it.