Necs - How are you managing your mana on Lesson XP grinds?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Deux, May 22, 2020.

1. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

I'm killing a bit faster mainly due to having to use fewer dots on the high hp mobs I grind on. I'm using wounds and the highest efficiency dots based on the new mana/damage calcs but I'm still running low on mana about halfway through Lesson. What are you guys doing to manage mana with spells, items, AA, etc ?
  2. Antasirras New Member

Well, I went from stacking 6-10 DoTs on a mob to only using 3. But mana is still an issue. Have to hit mana tap every time it's up, and Death Bloom as well. And it still doesn't solve the mana issues. The need to retune the mana costs, because multiplying DoT base damage by 2.5x but the mana cost 5x is absurd. It was bad enough having Paroxysm cost so much mana, now half our DoTs have ridiculous mana costs along the same line.

Retune, please.
    Deux likes this.
  3. birdsong_pawn Augur

I haven't gotten around to that yet. I'm still trying to figure out temporary spell lineups and keyboard bindings for this month. After all, there are more spell changes coming in the next patch.

I wish this hadn't been rolled out half-finished. I'll leave it at that for now. I'd like to provide some constructive ideas, but I don't know what the next patch will bring.
  4. Tucoh Augur

Rangers listening to necros have mana conservation problems:
    [IMG]
    Vumad and Yaze like this.
  5. birdsong_pawn Augur

Let's not turn this into an avatar thing, hehe.
    I have a 115 necro (and mage) on the same account.
    My enchanter is the one with the mana problems :p
    Tucoh likes this.
  6. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

I did these things before:
    Break up lesson if you can bind near your spot. Zone to PoK/House/GL/GH/etc while letting mana/timers refresh.

Alteration & Conjuration specialization augs.

Visions of Suffering tribute.

These are suddenly things on my mind:
    Am I on a mount?

Can I sit here?

Is skin rune on?

Switching to HINT augs.

Living much more dangerously with Blood Magic.

Paying very close attention to Gift of Magic procs.

Probably an oversight that will be corrected or just waiting for another "phase" but 2 casts of Chaotic is cheaper than 1 of its pyre with the benefit of the debuff and possible extra DoT.
    Zynt likes this.
  7. Zynt Augur

I'm being way more strategic with my GoM procs and that's handling most of the issues plus I'm using the magic line a bit more since they haven't been reworked yet as well as mana tap. Once I got into the swing of things again it's not terrible but it still needs to be tuned down. I will say that those crit, twin caste pyre ticks are super sexy.
  8. Szilent Augur

hm. This doesn't match up with the spells I just real quick tested. Chaotic charges its own cost plus the cost of any dots it triggers.

Also, two casts of Chaotic isn't sure to get you the dot you want? but that's a whole other thing
  9. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Szilent is correct, I misunderstood how it works out the mana. Applying the debuff and the fire DoT with one spell slot was more interesting when reconfiguring some spell sets now that the disease and that pyre are higher damage.
  10. Ibudin Augur

Interesting discussion - GoM matters dot line up helps here, click BM right out of the gate, and deathbloom when that's down, and roll those as they refresh. Could try less dots, and see how that goes per mob - the mobs will live longer but you wont refresh a high mana cost dot that lasts 3 tics and the mob dies. Tribute, big help. I've consider going HINT augs, but will wait and see till they are done with the revamp. Anyone try the shaman potions that give you a mana savings (blue bottle one)?
  11. Atvar Augur

Your goal should be to hit death bloom then blood magic a few minutes in so that once blood magic wears off, you're at 99% mana. The 18 minute recast means you'll only get 1 refresh either way on your burn, just don't wait too much past the first ~5 minutes.

Pop jester about 10 minutes in once blood magic is off and you start losing mana again and hope for a refresh.
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

Lol. This thread is awesome.
  13. Yendar Augur

Not sure how you get low mana on your enchanter unless you’re running mind over matter and getting hit. I keep all 3 dots on every mob, cast dissident everytime it pops, and am casting the 2 mind nukes nonstop, and I rarely ever use gather mana or a mod rod.. on my mage I’m clicking both mod rods every time they’re up.
  14. Maym_Cazic Journeyman

Not to hijack this thread, but my enchanter is constantly having mana issues going through the same process you just described. The only thing I can think of is not having a sympathetic mana proc; but I did some quick parsing when I did have the mana aug and it didn't look like it was going to be make or break.

So I am really curious how enchanters that aren't constantly fighting tooth and nail are doing it. I mean, I have to constantly hit chest clicky, use GoM strategically, and spire as available.
  15. Lyyr Lorekeeper

You are probably killing more mobs per minute than Yendar. When I down a mob every 15 seconds my enchanter has mana issues, along with everyone else but the cleric, if I slow it to one mob every 30-40 seconds the only character with resource issues is eventually the bard.
  16. kizant Augur

What does your group look like or are you solo? What level? Mind coil does return a good amount of mana now.

I assume you use crystal mana tonics, horn, gather mana, etc too? Keeping your key abilities on cool down should be expected I would think. If people were getting by before without doing that I think that's a problem.
    eqgamer likes this.
  17. Lockdown Elder

At my level, Scryer's Trespass is still useful to have. (Apparently, we get no upgrades to it.) I generally burn through it quickly, but I have Gather Mana.