Make a server where only 1 log-in per account is allowed.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Strawberry, May 28, 2020.

1. Strawberry Augur

Hey,

Make a server where you can only log in once per IP address.

(yes I messed up the thread title lol)

Trying to prevent multiboxing by GM presence is clearly failing, costly and unsustainable.

People have suggested a server with only 1 log-in per IP address for years.

It would greatly halt boxing and allow single account users to have a server they can play on without being campstealed and trained by multiboxers.

And I'm sure the people who play with a family members, who already have 20 other servers to play on, will understand if people who don't have someone to play with out-of-the-gate, get a server too.
    Scipio5 likes this.
  2. Creedmonk Augur

Just stop, this is silly. You could easily circumvent it by using a VPN it would never work. Go back to yelling at cashiers and demanding their managers, Karen.
  3. Strawberry Augur

VPN are super easy to block. I don't know any VPN that allows you to log into the other MMO I play on.

Try logging into Netflix with a VPN, good luck, you won't be able to log in and you'll have your account blocked 24 hours later.
  4. Mezrah Augur

It is trivial to overcome your one login per IP address solution for anyone that is even remotely technical. It also ensure that members of the same family residing at the same household cannot play EQ together, not to mention the issues it would cause for people in college/university dormitories / or who use small ISP's where there are insufficient IPv4 addresses for everyone to have a unique IP address.
  5. Creedmonk Augur

I'm watching Canadian Netflix now from a VPN while in the USA... You're very wrong here, there are many VPN's out there.
    Nordgaren likes this.
  6. Strawberry Augur

I doubt you're telling the truth. Blocking and detecting VPN has become very easy, it's not the wild west anymore like it used to be.

The few people who manage to use a VPN on Netflix get banned 24 hours later because Netflix can easily detect if you are changing location on the fly.
    Scipio5 likes this.
  7. Overcast451 Augur

Then what's to stop me from having two internet lines coming into my house? Or more?

I'm sure the ISP will run as many lines to my house as I want to pay for. Heck, I'd suppose even dial-up would work still... lol

Look - I get your point, but you can't penalize people who happen to be playing in the same household because of the other jerks that abuse it.

I'm actually with you 100% - I don't like the botters and crap that abuse the system and will report them.

I keep my nVidia instant playback set to 30 minutes to make sure I can save it on the fly. I did just that on Mangler a couple weeks ago and put a YouTube link in the petition for the video. "They" were obvious botters.

But preventing people from legitimately playing just because they are in the same house isn't good for the game overall. My wife introduced me to EQ back in 1999. We've played together for years. Even got an exception on P99 (too toxic there for us though).
  8. Strawberry Augur

The idea of letting a company dig multiple lines to your home, just to play EQ, is not only far fetched, the cost would be far beyond the means the average person has.
  9. Overcast451 Augur

But botters making 100 Krono a month isn't 'average' either. I can get a base 250 MB plan from a local ISP for $40.00 a month. I have a maybe 40 foot run to the pole. They might very well do it.. and if you do business class, I have no doubt they would do it.

There's no way I would even consider having multiple internet lines much less paying for 6+ accounts at $14.99 a month. I have two accounts and the wife has one. Along with some DB cash and a Krono here and there - that's more than enough spent on this game!

I get what you are saying - but to be honest.. I think the GM enforcement on Aradune is probably our best chance at a less toxic botter environment. And it doesn't penalize people in the same house.

P99 did the IP address restriction - and it was obvious a lot of people were getting around it. P99 was good in concept I suppose and I'm glad it existed as it seemed to push Sony into taking these progression servers seriously. It was great at the lower levels - but once you started getting into the higher levels, it became nasty toxic.

I know a lot of people 'claim' that they have multiple people in the house playing and it's total BS - but also a lot of people are being 100% honest about family members playing. I know in my guild - there are at least three couples who play EQ together and two brothers who do. They are on discord - so there's little doubt they are really separate people :)
  10. Dre. Altoholic

Fascinating concept! Can you please source your IT/Networking knowledge? Others may like to learn about these things too.
  11. error Augur

You don't even need to do that, there are plenty of VPNs that offer residential IPs. They're pricier than normal VPNs, but because the IPs aren't associated with a datacenter you won't get range blocked. I somehow doubt that someone paying for 6+ accounts (even with krono) is going to gawk at having to put down another $20 or $30 dollars a month.

Honestly, if you want to stop box crews, it'd be a lot easier to just have a couple knowledgeable GMs that actively monitor for it. Yeah, you might not catch the guy who secretly boxes a shaman and buffs himself at the zone line, but is he really the problem? Or is the problem the *extremely* obvious setups where they have 6 necromancers monopolizing the efreeti camp 24/7 for 3 months straight? I mean, the box crew hotspots on TLPs aren't exactly secrets at this point, and those are the ones that actively disrupt the gameplay of normal players.
    Overcast451 likes this.
  12. MrZev New Member

So, p99 only allows 1 account logged in per IP. If you want to play with your friend, you need to get added to a whitelist. Well, it takes a while. They waited a week or two, he still couldnt play with his girlfriend, so they gave up on it. Yeah, they can go trough a VPN and bypass it, but thats work they dont want to deal with. So, this goes both ways. At 2, you can get your roomate or spouce to join you. If someone wants to run a box, thats not a big deal. When someone rocks a whole group, yeah thats an issue. The 2 limit forces them to go trough the hassle. The hassle will limit some people, and the other people will go trough the effort. So, i think the 2 is good. But yes, GMs are practically non existent, and that is an issue. When its common knowledge that there is no police, that extra effort wont go to waste. So... moral of the story... 2 is good. If they dedicate a few more GMs for the first week, it will deter the farmers and give some semblance of consequences.
    Overcast451 likes this.
  13. Overcast451 Augur

Indeed, plus hopefully the ones that keep up on trying to work around the rules will end up with the ban hammer. I mean, seriously - there's another server with open boxing, so no excuse for the 'normal' players, you can go box all you want on Riz. It's the RMT players that really cause the issues... and I suspect some of them make all or a good part of their income doing this - so they will keep trying.. each to different degrees.

I know a couple people who box a bunch of toons, but are respectful of others. Not my cup of tea for sure though.

Really the only answer to deal with RMT, Toxic Botters, and such is GM enforcement. It's just like speeding - most people will skirt the law when they can. On my drive to work, you'll notice the speed ratcheting up over time - until state patrol starts enforcing it - then people are back to their normal 80.. lol
  14. Dingodog New Member

The server allows up to 2 boxed accounts so do not go all Judge Dread on everyone as you will soon wonder why you are blocked by half the server. If it is obvious report it however do not report regular grps as casters do sit stand up cast sit. If you become known for being a Karen you will never get grps again.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

When I was considering a VPN for other purposes, I looked at one that is $40 a year. Up to 5 computers.
  16. mark Augur

simple if there was 1 ip per account you would patch eq with your normal internet then you would use a mobile phone for each pc.
    code-zero likes this.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

Ah, Strawberry. We've missed you.
    Creedmonk and Dythan like this.
  18. Tucoh Augur

Releasing a TLP server that limited you based on IP address and also made an attempt to block VPNs would be wayyyy more effective than whatever we're going to see for Aradune. Whether DPG has the expertise to pull that off is a different question.
  19. That0neguy Augur

Your lack of understanding here is astounding and you should just sit down. I can easily have Comcast (or any other ISP) configure my modem to hand out 6 unique IP addresses to my CPE's without needing any additional lines laid down.
  20. Piznut Angry Gnome

GM's will be able to enforce it after their 2 hour login queue is done.