Kiting Advice (Necros)

Discussion in 'Casters' started by balphegor, May 22, 2020.

1. Graves Elder

Oh how could I forget my spell interrupted audio trigger. Very important for kiting so you can get you stop turn cast game on point.
    kizant likes this.
  2. kizant Augur

Servers down so I might as well post one more video. It only ended early cause I got disconnected but some burns were back up and I had a bunch of mobs ready to go. I'm pretty confident I'd be back up to 550k DPS or so in the 25 minute time frame. Getting a little better and my burn at the start came close to 1.5 million DPS which was nice. I think my goal of 600k sustained after a few more tweaks and getting some decent procs is prob doable. I imagine people who have been playing a while can do a good deal more? Should I be aiming for 700k maybe?

And I'm using Mind Erosion and death bloom and have plenty of mana. I don't even use them on cooldown... I'm still playing way too dangerously or I'd use blood magic and prob have too much.

MasterMagnus, Sancus and Wulfhere like this.
  3. Wulfhere Augur

As much as I enjoy the video, I remember such evidence leading to swarm abilitiy nerfs of first bards, and then warriors (shakerpaging), and later knights. The other dot kiting class is the druid in this case. Can they handle a swarm as large as a necromancer? My druid doesTime for more popcorn.
  4. kizant Augur

I think druids could probably kite just as many mobs or even more. Their snare lasts longer and they can cure/heal themselves better. But as far as I'm aware they don't have good mana recovery options and don't have good DoT burns. They rely a lot on enchanters and bards for their DPS. So, I'm guessing it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as what I'm getting with a necro.

I'm not against nerfs when they make sense so it's not usually something I worry about. Plus I'm sure everyone is expecting significant changes to necro DoTs over the next couple months. Raids parses are going to be more to blame than my kiting videos but if history is any lesson then necros are going to end up in a very good place no matter what happens. And anyone who watches my videos can see how often I almost die lol. It's not exactly safe doing this and they could always bump up the restless ice rate if they really hate kiting.
  5. Wulfhere Augur

Dangerous is good. It's less frowned upon by the Devs. Necros have always been in a very good place though ;)

I agree that druids aren't nearly as good at DoTs. It's all about mana regen. I don't believe a druid can DoT kite that many mobs in the same time period without a med break. Much fewer mobs I believe. On the other hand they can quad/quint kite (with targeted AE nukes) fairly well. A say "quint" because all unlimited target TAE's were nerfed last year. I'm curious enough to test where that balance is on a slow day.

Oddly, the devs have nerfed Restless Ice several times already and many other anti-kite, anti-solo dots in ToV in the last patch. They are making ToV zones easier for sub-optimal groupings (including solo). The only classes that can truly solo in ToV (especially) are the classes that can cure detrimentals of various flavors. Everyone else needs a cleric merc.
  6. Ibudin Augur

Kiting is just to busy for me for the reward. Kizant is a wizard, he's programmed to kite from way back, I only liked kiting when fear kiting was a thing (long time ago). Your DPS is solid for sure, keep it up!

Other zones have summoners, this is only an option on a small amount of mobs, I don't worry about nerfs, as you can see its not as easy as it is with a warrior or SK to run in and snap up 20+ mobs and stand in place blowing them up. This is a way to experience, that takes a lot of work and chances of death are high.
  7. kizant Augur

Kiting definitely isn't for everyone but yeah I've been trained to mindless kite for hours at a time and not notice how long it's been. Also, restless ice seems to be more of an anti-swarm thing to me. If I stay within casting range the entire time I don't get hit with it much. They probably just don't want you to aggro tons of things at max+ range and run around trying to collect as many mobs as possible.