Kiting Advice (Necros)

Discussion in 'Casters' started by balphegor, May 22, 2020.

1. balphegor New Member

Just like the title says.
    Any necros have advice for spell lineups/aa for kiting with a bard in group ?
    Specifically at level 115
  2. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

With the dot mana changes this really isn't efficient in my opinion not sure if the bard song would offset the new mana costs?

Basically you want efficient long tick spells, a debuff spell for aggro assistance and whatever else you want to use to kill the mob. Magic spells are still untouched and some are still efficient for mana / damage.

At the high end root rotting is the most efficient way to kill the most mobs in a given amount of time.
  3. Beergoggles Elder

Root rotting is probably the most efficient but if you are high end you will have too many sympathetic procs to keep mobs rooted unless you swap out all the augs every time you want to root rot. Easier to just pet tank. Pet can tank t2 mobs in tov fine and t1 named fine while moloing.
  4. Graves Elder

Or maybe don't use sympathetic nuke augs in the first place?
  5. Szilent Augur

"or maybe suck" isn't a good solution for raiders
  6. kizant Augur

So, I'm brand new to playing a Necro and I'm coming at it from the point of view of a Wizard/Enchanter. I'm trying to learn stuff myself since I don't think any Necro would want to talk to me about this subject...

That said, what I've ended up with right now seems pretty good for kiting. I'm using two versions of ignite memories for mana, wounds are still useful, and the last disease combo DoT seems pretty efficient. Just don't use it with that twincast AA. And I'm saving pyre or dissident when I have GoM or extra mana. Oh and Broiling Shadow and Pallid Haze seem to be good compromises for efficiency and damage when you got nothing else to cast. Plus Assert for Blood when enough decent DoTs are running and recasts of Flesh to Venom. I think that spell is worth it? I don't really know yet.

Anyway, I still need some AAs and to refine spells better and add in swarms or pet damage. But my group geared necro seems to do OK. I had 22 kills while running around for 20 to 25 minutes and still had plenty of mana. DPS is a lot higher than I can do on my Enc of Wiz trying to solo that's for sure and I don't even know what I'm doing yet...

MasterMagnus and Sancus like this.
  7. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

I gotta admit. My eyesight is getting worse. I thought this thread was Killing Advice (Necros) and folks would be talking about their best tactics for killing necros in game. I'm a little disappointed.

That said, I would be curious, like the OP, to hear from folks who do bard/necro kiting and what their strategies are these days. Maybe there aren't any, but if there are, would be nice to hear what you do. My days of 10 hour kiting sessions for aas is long past, but it is a fun tactic to dabble every now and then.
  8. Magickon Augur

What tools does a bard have to maintain being highest on agro? Quit my bard at level 70 so I don't know.

Obviously the nec can aa feign to drop agro whenever they need to. If using that to drop agro when needed, to the op's question I think if the nec can stay stationary they would gain the ability to be able to cast more frequently.

Should also lead with wounds, and use any gifts on the revamped dots of course.
  9. Nidel New Member

I know you didn't ask but just wanted to give my input as a nec on phinny, Kizant. If I'm kiting in an open space like your video - my goal would be to apply wounds to all right away (aiming to kill them at near the same time before the secondary dot and snares wear off).

I like to utilize Flesh when possible but there are a few annoying quirks to consider.
    1) Don't use during Heretic's Twincast. This will result in 1-3 extra charges being eaten up for every cast. When I'm starting a burn, before popping anything, the first thing I do is check buff bar for flesh and click it off.
    2) Flesh will strip Death Bloom if you cast it while DB is still running. So just have to be aware and not refresh Flesh during that 1 min window. Or do so before popping DB for mana.
    kizant likes this.
  10. kizant Augur

Thanks. That's some great info and I actually thought intellect might give mana back too but it doesn't... Gonna change some things around and post some other examples once I improve.
  11. Graves Elder

Don't worry, there are options other than nuke agus that might help you stop sucking.

Seriously though, if all you do is raid knock yourself out with nuke augs. If you solo, don't.
  12. Nidel New Member

Aye I wasn't sure if that was your thinking behind Ignite line but either way it is still a good dmg efficient line (we'll see what happens with revamp). So I could still see it being viable just because of the efficiency and fishing for GoM procs.

I'm ignorant to hp values in current content but currently in TDS on phinny - depending on the zone and mob it just takes 2-5 dots to definitively kill a target (without having to rely on wounds). When I'm exploring a new area I'll take the time to determine exactly how many casts it takes to reliably kill and then adjust the rhythm from there.
  13. Graves Elder

The Ignite line doesn't give you mana afaik. They are dots with a mana drain component, not a mana tap.

You are obviously leaving a lot of DPS on the table not using the rog pet, but you know that.

With the new dot changes it is probably better exp/time to burn hard and med rather than shooting for efficiency, though I've not done enough experimentation since the patch to know for sure.
    Barton likes this.
  14. Forcallen Augur

Since it’s all going to be taken away soon enough.

In terms of pure xp root rotting falls well behind kiting. Gear, aa, spells and skill all impact performance but 60-80 mobs in a lesson is possible. Not much has changed from older videos on the matter. You want to spend the least amount of time per mob as you can to kill it and move on to the next, so 2-9 mobs are chasing you at various stages of dying. This equates to AA snare to open and after dots are applied, 3-5 doom dots (more most damage per mana dots the weaker you are in gear, aa and spells) with burn tools and mana tools staggered throughout.

Kizant is already showing you how to half turn on a stop to not be interrupted with server lag and to use whisperwind to speed things along.
  15. kizant Augur

I think I managed 38 kills in 30 mins this time and ended at 476k DPS. Still need to add in my regular pet and time burns better when they pop back up and just generally get better lol. Still. Did better than last try at least.

16. kizant Augur

Got a decent burn going at the start this time. Finally hit above a million DPS over the first 3 minutes and still had most of Hand of Fear and the old robe clickie to work with. I am still pretty bad with leaving some alive toward the end...

Sancus likes this.
  17. Ibudin Augur

Very nice Kizant, goes to show I learn something every day. Been playing a necro too long with my blinders on lol.
    kizant likes this.
  18. Graves Elder

Have you made yourself an audio trigger for darkness wearing off a mob?
  19. kizant Augur

I really should do that and stop living so dangerously. :D
  20. Graves Elder

Darkness worn off and failed FD audio triggers are a must for me.
    kizant likes this.