You must have a skill of at least XXX to attempt this merge/patch

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tanacious, May 21, 2020.

1. Tanacious Lorekeeper

I'm sure you are all working hard dealing with various issues and what not, but this is getting out of hand.

What I don't understand is, isn't there a risk assessment howler monkey that talks about worst case scenarios and risks before an undertaking like this?

Also just like everyone else is saying, if it was this risky, why wouldn't you do a clone test? I know it's not exactly the same thing, but it would be close enough to make you aware of potential hazards.

But oh well. I guess lesson learned for next time, just remember, too many times of things like this, and you eventually you won't have to worry about a next time.

The community of EQ is understanding, but their patience is not infinite, and there have been a LOT of seriously bungled things over the last 6 months or so.... like more bungled than what OG SoE did back in the day.
    dreadlord likes this.
  2. Rhaane New Member

But servers have been merged before. This is not entirely a new concept for them. =/
  3. Time Burn Augur

They haven't raised their subscription rate since what, 2005? Consequently, they seem to have zero cash to do any testing, and they seem to have zero cash to do any new development beyond cut and paste expansion revamps.

Until their cash flow changes for the better somehow, this is what EQ is, I guess...
  4. Herf Augur

Ok, the title of this thread made me LOL :)

Thanks, I needed that :)
  5. That0neguy Augur

resources....
    Barton likes this.
  6. Tanacious Lorekeeper

No problem, it made me LOL too when I thought of it.
  7. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

It's certainly not new but they did break a process for doing server merges. The only reason we've only seen a couple TLP servers merged in recent years is they didn't have housing yet from what people say. Dreamweaver did reference housing was a big bump in the road for them on this week's mergers.

All part of the fun of playing a 21 year old MMO. It can become broken AF from time to time. :(
  8. Ninelder Augur

The only thing I can think of is they had one "Dan Akroyd-Type Guy from Spies Like Us." He was the only one who was actually good at his job and a bunch of useless executive-types took credit for all his work. Since he never got credit for his work he was let go instead of the useless executives.

This is just a theory of course, but they have let some people go in the last couple of years. The theory fits.
  9. Barton The Mischievous

"The answer to any question starting, Why don’t they- is almost always, Money."
    — Robert A. Heinlein
    Herodotus likes this.