I called it- downtime extended 6 hours

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tutankamen, May 20, 2020.

1. Viper1 Augur

Predicting an extended downtime for eq isn't really "calling it"
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Metanis like this.
  2. IcebergDX Lorekeeper

Has anyone played Eversapce? It is not made by DPW, so I have hope....
  3. Herf Augur

The real question was NEVER "will it be up in 24 hours" but rather "will it come up within the estimated patch extension time."
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

Corrected it for you.
  5. geteven New Member

This is my life now. Reading a debate about server downtime.
    Vumad, Corwyhn Lionheart and Herf like this.
  6. Herf Augur

Yep. ForumQuest.
    geteven likes this.
  7. Jondalar Augur

You were saying?
    Whulfgar, Pano and Nennius like this.
  8. Elyssanda Bardbrain

it is now extended to 10pm PDT, so 36 hours.. and counting..
    Andarriel likes this.
  9. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

so did I. I said wait another 1 hour and they will extend it again and like 30 minutes later it did.

Andarriel
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Before servers went down I shouted see you in 48 hours lets see how close I come.

Andarriel
  11. Elyee Lorekeeper

"dreamweaver
    Community Manager

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

New

Current server downtime has been extended 6 hours to 10 PM PDT.

We wanted to provide some additional background for this extension and the prolonged downtime for you.

We started the server merge and the first merge test was done by 2 PM yesterday.

Unfortunately we are not able to test these changes on live servers before the changes occur, we started running checks and things were progressing as normal. Around that time we started to run into issues with real estate, in addition to that, there were problems with deleted characters that were causing the script to allow duplicate player names.

Resurrecting older tech is fraught with surprise dragons, and this tech was resurrected when we merged Vulak to Fippy, which if you played at the time you recall the real estate issues. The goal this time around was to make sure that issue would not be repeated.

However at 2 PM on 5/19 we had to restore data for all players on our merged servers, we fixed the discovered issues in the merge process and started them again only to discover additional issues revealed by the fix.

I want to reassure you, in some way, shape, or form someone from the ops and engineering team have been working to solve these issues since 10 AM yesterday. This is our top priority, and all hands are on deck until it is solved.

The specific reason for this extension is that we have finalized checks on a successful merge at 2 PM PDT. We can now move forward with the other merges and the live patch, which is what is accounted for in this extension.

At this point we are unable to stop the server merges and just bring everything up because of several threads that have already begun their processes and a full rollback of those would take significantly longer than the time extension.

We know that you are all eager to play and thank you for your understanding and patience while we continue the process."
    Jennre and Andarriel like this.
  12. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Thanks a lot for the update much appreciated.

Andarriel
  13. Kahlev Al-Calen Augur

As a long time player, there is no suprise here. Patches always take longer due to hamsters farting on the wheel. Merges always cause issues that double or triple the maintenance time. Even if the servers are up by 10pm, you can totally expect something to go wrong and being forced into another patch tomorrow (that rollback to level 50 on TLPs a few years ago was epic).

As someone said, "it will be done when it is done".
    Magneress likes this.
  14. Fian Augur

I do appreciate a more detailed explanation of the downtime. This is the type of communication that we all hope to receive in the future. One thing that isn't clear to me is why the non-merging servers couldn't be patched and brought up early, leaving only the merging servers with a 36 hour downtime. That would have been a better customer experience.
  15. Whulfgar Augur

I stand corrected good sir. I bow down an beg forgiveness hehe
  16. mikey anchorage Journeyman

So why does everyone have to suffer because there is a server merger that doesnt have anything to do with the server i play on? why can you just ruin those servers instead of the ones that have nothing to do with the few that already work?
  17. mikey anchorage Journeyman

Why dont you shut down DC universe too since there is a merger on a game thats made by lamebreak games?
  18. Korea numbah3 Elder

Nice patch! Got lawn mowed and smoker I bought 5 years ago put together and seasoning!
    Whulfgar and Magneress like this.
  19. Magneress Augur

I appreciate what they are going through having been there in the middle of the night running servers across the street at 3am in the morning infront of church services feeding people downtown. Yeah, not exactly the same thing but...

Thank you @Dreamweaver and daybreak. I hope someone sends you some thankful emails, this stuff is hard sometimes. Really appreciate just knowing what the hiccup was! Going to go and stop spamming the poor forums now lol.
    Jennre likes this.
  20. Jimmy2times Elder

How many hot fixes and patches after this giant patch are y’all thinking. I’m taking bets and collecting the copper up.

At least 2