IS Boxer

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mesc, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nadisia Augur

Haha.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince anyone, stubborn like you or not.
    And I'm not defending anything.
    In fact, I don't care. I'm using ISB for about 10 years now, since its release, and before I was using WinEQ2.
    This software has always been tolerated on non truebox servers, always.

But as Jumbur said, a lot of people are confusing ISB with the other /\/\Q program.

But if for you, ISB is automation, good for you then, I'm ok with that.
    Earth is flat after all ;)

He's prolly trolling, yep.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  2. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

3. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

QUOTE]
    [/QUOTE]

:)

You give us links on 2012 and 2013 from ex employees?
    https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Developers
    This is your way of thinking, it is OK?

Because I have had game support ticket answers within the last year say these programs are not allowed.

This is why I STILL comment on threads about 3rd party programs. The GM told me clearly and simply. NO automated programs are allowed.

So I would like it if someone could reference recent proof, not by others that are no longer in the company.

We want current answers.
    It is pathetic to see auto groups in the entire zone of Dead Hills when I'm doing a DH HA and forced to drop a merc or be in a /pick finding out 10 groups are just standing around waiting for one mob to spawn all automated.

Live people should have more rights then a program.
    I also read comment about hitting one key to do one thing on all characters, That I read is NOT allowed in many other threads. Hail by 6 characters at once.

What is pointless is, why these threads are still active, they need to be given an answer.

There is no point in paying to play a game where groups of programs are hunting the content you are.

Developers need to tell us what is legit and what is not, and enforce the GM's to do what they need to do.

"this thread... " " oh here we go again " ...

We get it, you are one of the 'program players' and feel you have a 'right to speak'.
  4. bucktoof Journeyman

Oh look its the 100% predictable, almost obligatory "he's a troll, he probably uses x software himself" blah blah bit of nonsense no where else to turn defense. Well played oh little one, well not really but no...and for the record, I sincerely hope you ARE banned for it. ;) Cheers.

[IMG]
  5. Tuco Augur

Machine Men! With Machine minds and Machine HEARTS! You are not machines, you are not cattle, you are MEN!

Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  6. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Those automated groups in Dead Hills aren't using this! Good lord man, get your software straight. It's really not hard to know there are programs that automated your chars and you walk away from your computer.. and those aren't allowed. Then there is the one we're discussing HERE which you have to push a button or your chars stand there doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
  7. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

lol
  8. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Cool! Educate me!

Explain what to look for.
    *be right back (coffee)
  9. dizzadar Lorekeeper

Yall dellusional if you think these programs are illegal have you ever not noticed how said program is now not made to work on Truebox because EQ and said program have a deal as long as they keep it off truebox they will not do about it
  10. Tuco Augur

If you see a group using /follow or call of the hero to move around and they're sequentially using their abilities, as in, the tank will start moving, collect the mobs, then the healer will start casting then the DPS will start doing stuff over a few second period, they're probably alt-tab boxing.

If you see a group using /follow or Call of the Hero to teleport around but they're all synchronously spamming their abilities, as in, they all start doing stuff at the same time, they're probably using inner space boxer.

If you see a group that is moving around oddly and robotically, and have a very rhythmic feel to their reaction to mobs spawning they're probably using macro quest 2 or similar stuff. They may or may not be AFK botting.

These aren't 100% ways to differentiate of course, a macro quest 2 user can use /follow and someone can make a macro on their logitech keyboard to just spam stuff while AFK.
    Cadira likes this.
  11. Tanise Elder

It is not specifically allowed, no 3rd party software is not even eqwindows or even magelo.

The devs cannot respond officially for 2 reasons:

1. By officially allowing 3rd party software they are basically endorsing it. Then lets say someone else introduces software that does the same thing. Now they will have to evaluate that software, or be accused of playing favorites.

2. While isoboxer (and EQW and Magelo) right now do nothing that violates the eula, tomorrow they could be reprogrammed to cheat. Then they would have to pull out of endorsing the software.

Just easier to not endorse anything.

So it's a use at your own risk. But tons of us use it to box and have for a long time with no issue. Theres nothing in it that I know of that violates the eula, it just makes controlling multiple characters easier. However keep in mind it's a total pain to set up lol. Once you get past the initial set up it's fairly painless to maintain unless you all of a sudden change everything around.
    Metanis likes this.
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

DBG wont name specific programs which are not allowed because the issue is not with the programs but rather how they are used.

For example, ISB allows you to assign instances of EQ to specific screen regions. It allows you to set pre-determined window locations/sizes and prevents the window resize bugs inherent to EQ. It also removes windows boarders (going to argue auto-hiding the windows taskbar is cheating?). None of this is against the EULA. It also clearly does not meet any example you have provided of automation or cheating. Arguing such would be like saying that my 34" monitor is cheating because you only have a 19" monitor. It is not.

With a properly formatted screen, you can click windows instead of alt tabbing. It is a huge advantage, but it is simply a change in format and accessibility. It is not automation. It is not cheating. You can do all of this without ISB.

Moving on to key passthrough...

I can use 2 PC to box, which is not automation or cheating. You simply press 1 on your second keyboard and your second character does something. This is not automation or cheating.

So far we have established that not using ALT + tab to box and not having to change windows to box are both not automation and both are not cheating.

Now if you use ISB and press 3 and it passes through to the background application to cause a wizard to cast a nuke, and it is only setup to cause the 1 character to take an action and no other character to perform that action, then it meets all of the same criteria as above and does not meet your definition of automation.

See how this is working? Saying you have to use alt tab or you have to use 2 PC is purist ignorance.

Since I play my mage with 2 hotkeys... /assist /malo /pet attack /swam and the second being /nuke, there is no difference between using a second computer and a keyboard to Press 1 and 2 or using a single computer to press 1 and 2. Since I play my cleric with just spam heals, I only need 6 keys, 1 for each group member. Again, same criteria. So I can control my mage with 1 and 2 and my cleric with 3-8.

Nothing about this meet your definition of automation.

The truth is, I can use a Drinking Bird to press a key on my keyboard so that I can forage/fish/autoinventory hotkey AFK and that better meets your definition of automation than all but a few features of ISB.

Now the slippery slope argument is going to be, that is a person uses a single key press of 9 to make both characters follow, rather than 9 and 0 (2 keypresses would be required using 3 computers) then OMG AUTOMATION YOU ARE A TERRIBLE PERSON STOP CHEATING is kind of a legit argument I guess, but no not really.

Since I think very mechanically, I am going to tell you that if I was 3-boxing and had to use 3 keyboard, I would simply design a type-writer looking device that would mechanically press keys on multiple different keyboards at the same time. Such would be a mechanical advantage and would not meet the definition of automation. Could you imagine if person A was trying to get a staple out by hand and person B used a staple remover, then person A started shouting at them AUTOMATION! YOU'RE A BAD BAD MAN! lol.

ISB is the software equivalent of a mechanical advantage. A digital manifestation of a physical action. It's like a pry bar. It makes work easier, but it it does not substitute the work.
  13. Falien New Member

I think folks confuse the software that is used to do window management to the software that is used to automate. While they can, and often are, used together, they are completely separate and have no dependencies on each other.
  14. Smokezz The Bane Crew

They also intentionally do it, because they want things like it was in 1999 for some unknown reason. It's not 1999 anymore.
  15. Voktar Journeyman

They really need to relax the rules and allow anyone who pays for more than one subscription & expansion packs to control more than one account under the same EQ instance, that is key press broadcasting but without the need of external programs like [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software].

The /follow command its here. The simpre macro system is already here. We need no more.

I really don't see nothing wrong with it if you still need to press the keys to control any of your chars, this is not automation. Unless you too call automation all the macros you are using in any char in any single account.

Now, modern keyboards like Corsair comes with macro keys, anyone that want it can keep pressing Forage all the day without attending, are they going to ban them?

A Windowed full screen borderless play mode would rock too. Not DayBreak Games not anyone can't controll any of this, better they offer this capabilities in-game so people dont need to look elsewhere those external programs.

P.S: I only use GINA and WinEQ. Why dosent EQ supports already Visual Triggers like Gina?????
  16. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I use tabless chat windows and old spell icons. :D
  17. seber Augur

Developers need to tell us what is legit and what is not, and enforce the GM's to do what they need to do

I have read 8 page cant see any one tell us why they need this crap
  18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

No-one "needs" IS boxer or any other 3rd party program! The game is perfectly playable without them. IS boxer makes it slightly less cumbersome to juggle multiple game-instances at the same time. That is all.

No-one "needs" to box, either. ;)
  19. AlmarsGuides Augur

The class is the easiest class to play in the game by a large margin, here is a page of parses I did with Wizards comparing regular playing (with Is boxer) and regular playing (with Macaroni quest) to show the difference in DPS. People, including myself, choose Wizards to box because of how insanely easy the class is to play.

I kinda agree with you that you can't "macro" a Wizard and do as much DPS as someone who is boxing them and playing them regularly (as I have proven this is the case on the page I linked above)... However it all depends on what you mean by the word "macro". Some people consider what Is boxer lets you do as "macroing" and I can do as much DPS on a Wizard using Is Boxer as any raiding Wizard can do.

The main reason macaroni quest sucks on Wizards is because it slowly engages and slowly pops burns. This is actually the reason it does crappy DPS on all classes (except melee, they use a different plugin that lets them do wayyyy more DPS with macaroni quest than without; a discussion for another time maybe).

Also, Kizant if you wanna see someone play a group of Wizards and do as much DPS as a "solo" wizard on each of the Wizards that he boxes hit up Isuli in your guild. I'm actually surprised to hear you say Wizards are complicated and that you can't macro them since you're in a guild with multiple boxers who use wizards on their team and parse as good as they do in raids on their whole box team. Maybe you're just trolling though, if you are I obviously missed the memo. =P
  20. Thash Zoner

After 10-15 years of mostly soloing, it's nice to be more self sufficient. Why should a lot of annoying waiting, clicking, and inefficiency be an artificial barrier to playing more group members? Would a smart group act one-at-a-time?

It shouldn't concern people who don't choose it. Some players just aren't interested in heavy guilding or adventuring in-era. Any group can be toxic, if that's the fear.
    Vumad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.