How to transfer your hotbuttons & such (Server merge)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sissruukk, May 20, 2020.

1. Sissruukk Rogue One

Hello all. I just wanted to make a quick post here on how to ensure that your hotbuttons, ui settings, loot settings and such can get transferred from your old server to your new one.
    It is pretty easy to do. Just open your EQ folder (normally installed in the Users>Public>Daybreak Game Company>Installed Games>Everquest) and make the following changes (I will use my files as examples):

Sturmere_fippy.ini > Sturmere_vox.ini (just change fippy to vox, keeping the underscore)
    UI_Sturmere_fippy.ini > UI_Sturmere_vox.ini

Now go to the folder Userdata, and do the same as above to the following files (if they exist):
    Abilities_Sturmere_fippy.ini > Abilities_Sturmere_vox.ini
    AT_default_Sturmere_fippy.ini > AT_default_Sturmere_vox.ini
    BART_Sturmere_fippy.ini > BART_Sturmere_vox.ini
    GN_Sturmere_fippy.txt > GN_Sturmere_vox.txt
    LF_AG_Sturmere_fippy.ini > LF_AG_Sturmere_vox.ini
    LF_AN_Sturmere_fippy.ini > LF_AN_Sturmere_vox.ini
    LF_Nvr_Sturmere_fippy.ini > LF_Nvr_Sturmere_vox.ini
    LF_Rnd_Sturmere_fippy.ini > LF_Rnd_Sturmere_vox.ini

If I have missed anything, please let me know.
    Vumad, Buster_Shruggs, cadres and 2 others like this.
  2. Nadisia Augur

Oh noes, Lady Vox, please, save us ...

If one Sturmere wasn't already enough, now we'll have to deal with 2 ?

Run, you fools !!! This server is cursed.

/depressed

[IMG]
    Sissruukk likes this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I just wanted to throw it out there for those of us less technically inclined that others or whose son custom built your computer so files are not where they should be that you can right click the EQ icon on your desktop and select "open file location"

This will bypass all the places where it "normally" is installed and take you to where it really is installed :D

Then you can continue.
    Nennius, svann, Vumad and 1 other person like this.
  4. Tuco Augur

5. Sissruukk Rogue One

/Copylayout works, but I have run into issues in which my chat windows, target windows, etc. have not been copied over exactly and I need to spend time readjusting them. Also, the /copylayout doesn't transfer the loot settings and such. I just found the way I described as being "easier" to ensure that my hotbuttons and UI settings remain the same regardless of what server I move to (yes, I have moved off of Vox a couple of times).
  6. Voktar Journeyman

copylayout dosent works reliably, as Sissruukk says some windows positions may or may not be saved / restored correctly. Neither saves the hotbuttons sizes.

They really need to consolildate the config files, some UI settings are scattered thougt different archives.

Its pretty difficult to save & restore UI settings reliably.
  7. Buster_Shruggs Augur

Thanks for the information. Omg, you've moved off Vox and now you're being sent back!? :eek:
  8. Nadisia Augur

Sturmere? Nah, he's still haunting us on Vox.
    And now we'll get his malevolent replica too.

Wait what? The malevolent replica of a malevolent rogue could be nice?
    Hmm, interesting :cool:

I'm kidding by the way, Sturm is a cool one ... as long as he doesn't break the server ... again :p
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

For example, Copy layout does not copy chat filters by window. You'd have to reassign almost everything from the main window on every character.

The steps in posts 1 take more work out of EQ, but eliminate all work in EQ. After making those changes, you'd never even know that the merger happened (from a UI perspective).

You can actually do all of the same steps for different characters on the same server, skipping the in game tool for copying UI to avoid those same issues.

Probably the biggest value comes from the fact that you can do this while the servers are down. Meaning when they are up again, you can instantly get back to playing as if nothing happened.

Sissruukk likes this.
  10. Sissruukk Rogue One

LOL, no. I am still on Vox. I was just using the _fippy as an example of a server merging with Vox. There is only one Sturmere, Nadisia :p
  11. Sissruukk Rogue One

I also make a copy of these files on a device other than my computer, just in case my computer goes down and I need to reload EQ on a new one.
  12. lockjaws Augur

I used command prompt ;p

I copied all of my files to a backup folder - copy *oldserver* folder\back\location
    I then renamed the files - rename *oldserver* *newserver*
    made sure I did it in root EQ dir and in the userdata folder as well

*cross fingers that it works!*
    Cuuthbert and Sissruukk like this.
  13. Voktar Journeyman

They really need to make all of this more easy. I know lots of people that play the game that dont know even how to install a custom interface. Much less to make a batch file to automate the backup process.

This needs to be addressed in-game reliably.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Nah, it not DBG responsibility to do that for us. They give us the bare bones and we can build on that. Just like every quest in the game is a series of hints. DBG does not provide the entire quest - it is the fan sites that provide the walk thrus.

We are provided a basic interface. If you want more then you can change it by moving the windows around. If you really want more then you can go with a custom interface off another site. That is not a skill that is needed to play the game so its ok if someone does not know how to get one. I have never found a custom UI that is worth the effort. But to you it is important. Good thing its their world now and not mine or yours!

If you want a back up just pop a stick in and there ya have it. Copy the game onto a USB - most computer users can do that. But is that really needed since you can just download the game again very quickly?

It would be terrible if they forced us to play with something we could not customize to our own preferences.

The output files have been helpful for many so there is some progress there.

I don't expect a chef to cook my meal when I buy my hamburger meat at the store. I figure if I don't know how to cook it then I can look it up.;)