The "Patch"

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Braveheart, May 19, 2020.

1. Braveheart Augur

24 hours? That's like 20 Everquest Years.
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

Thanks. Like I don't feel old enough already.
    Metanis, Elyssanda and Claan like this.
  3. lockjaws Augur

This has been common knowledge for like 2 months now.
  4. Kuvaras New Member

while true... 24 hours is a long time. If the drag is the server merges... why not just take those down for the extended time.
  5. Nadisia Augur

Hey !!!
    It's a long and delicate process to find the right floppy disc and to put it in the ... powful puter :D

[IMG]

[IMG]
  6. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

Pretty sure I knew that 1 EQ hour is 3 minutes / 1 EQ day is 72 minutes two decades ago
    Veteran_BetaTester, Dyna and svann like this.
  7. Duder Augur

Look at those graphics!!!!! /mind blown
    Andarriel likes this.
  8. Herf Augur

Now I'm nostalgic.
    Andarriel likes this.
  9. Herf Augur

Seriously though. In about 1999 I was told by a former Sony employee I worked with that EQ servers were, then, Windows machines. Maybe Vista? Damn old age...can't remember for sure. But he said there were a lot of them. Of course he could have been misinformed but in those days it's possible.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Sure brings back a lot of memories. still miss playing one of my all time favorite games m.u.l.e.

Andarriel
  11. MiataDriver Augur

When did they upgrade from paper tape to floppies?

Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  12. Nadisia Augur

Out of topic :
    The C64 was an insanely good machine.
    My very 1st computer, offered by my brother.

A few years later, I got the Graal : An Amiga 1200.
    (a strange gift for a girl, for sure, but my father was a geek)

In my humble opinion, the best machine EVER (yes, I'm very biased lol :D)

Feeling nostalgic Herf?
    Remember all the C64, and later, all the Amiga demos, with fractals, blobs, etc ?

/em jumps into the DeLorean, 88mph

It was before Everquest (maybe not this one, but the demo scene).
    And it's still active, some weirdos are still coding stuff for these machines :)
    Zaray, Ninelder, Claan and 3 others like this.
  13. Runes Augur

Why would servers not affected by the server mergers need to be down for 24 hours? I understand the patch needed for some downtime but don't get why the other servers being kept down for the entire time?
  14. jeskola pheerie

Test server is up!
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  15. Greymantle Augur

There was a post on this by one of the devs. Apparently there are multiple databases that are shared by all servers. So if those databases are not available the standard servers will not run.
  16. Visitor Augur

Okay, anyone who did not catch the error is in for remedial arithmetic, one EQ day takes 72 Real time minutes, 24 real time hours is equal to 20 EQ days. So with 24 hours to kill, do your catch up number skills now. LOL.
    Coagagin likes this.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Well, I'm sure it would be a range of years, and depend on the type of institution.

For one data point, I started HS in '77, and the computer we had used paper tape, but they had just recently gotten a floppy drive... an 8" floppy drive!
  18. Khabarakh New Member

Given Windows Vista didn't RTM until 2006, I'd say it's unlikely they were that advanced ;)
    Some of their servers were on WinNT4 at the time, but I've no idea if they were the actual game servers or not.
  19. Sissruukk Rogue One

Oregon Trail on a Trash-80
    [IMG]
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon

Dig the groovy color monitor. I am going to ask Santa for one.