Where are all the Shaman spells located?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by SmoochyOfWolfington, May 17, 2020.

1. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

I have been playing it like Classic, but finding my spells are spread out among different places. Halas has several. There is a person in Everfrost Peaks that has a few at odd levels. But I just jumped to PoK to check something and they had about a half dozen spells more that were already to my level, even below me.

I had assumed my Shaman spell sellers in Halas would have everything I needed in that regards anyway, as I am playing a Barbarian. Is there a one stop shop for all things spells? I am not sure if I need to go back to Crescent Reach at this point just to double check. I just find it odd that EQ devs did not give the old towns the new spells, at least at such low character levels.

I assumed something like this would not of occurred until level 50-80 or something when the content was basically completely new and you had to use the books to travel to different planes. Now I have to use the blasted books to purchase them early on. ^^!
  2. SunDrake Augur

Plane of Knowledge will be the optimum location to purchase spells by level.

In classic there were all sorts of peculiarities regarding spells. Vendor spells were sometimes divided by spell types, rather than levels or tiers. Some merchants had spells based on levels. Some spells were not available on vendors in all locations. Some spells were drops in era. Some spells were quests in era. You can still do it that way if you wanna go that route, or you can buy them in PoK. PoK, as the repository of knowledge in the realm, is where you find the largest number of spells with the best organization, it makes sense.
  3. Karanthal Augur

Annoyingly in classic spells were spread around starting cities. As an elf druid or high elf cleric I often had to buy spells from rivervale. You may need to make troll and send them over, might be more for sale in Grobb. Over time new spells have been added at low levels, they may not feature outside if PoK.

Mages/Enchanters have it worse, some of their early pet spells were only for sale in HHK for some reason.
    Yinla likes this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

No one has clarified that it is the Library in POK where all the spells are :)

Around the time they made Cresent Reach as the new easier to start in city they also consolidated all the spells so they are available thru your class NPC in the Library in POK.

Under your find button you will see "Shaman spells level X " or Shaman spells level Y. Click that an you will get the yellow brick road to take you to the shaman npc who sells them. They start at level 1 and go up to the 80's or so.

If you want to find where each and every spell might be in other cities I would suggest you look them up here - find the level you want and then look under "sold by"

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db...type=shm&level=1&opt=And Higher&action=search
  5. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Thanks everyone. I too vaguely remember there were oddities in where spells could be purchased as in a BST spell might be under a SHM spell seller type of thing, which I actually did check. But I had no idea you would have to travel to other cities to get to some of them. And yet it is one sure fire way that a person does go out into the world.

However is it clued to you by conversation with an NPC or otherwise that you need to go to such and such and speak with so and so in order to acquire them or all word of mouth and by happenstance by the players? The act of traveling itself does not guarantee you will find all the spells. It could be a needle in the hay stack even if you came to the right place, especially if it is not even under the seller you would think it is or a lucky mob drop.

I don't ever expect to be the best nor have all the best equipment. I know that will never happen, even if I played beyond the Classic mindset. I mean you have to be able to get the right mobs and have them drop the right stuff and I am not even sure if dice rolling to split loot is even a thing anymore if grouped. But for some reason I do expect to get anything I can craft myself, even with enough patience and perseverance and all spells as I thought those were sold by your own NPCs. I guess I need to rethink somethings. Thanks again everyone.
  6. Fredescu Augur

In a lot of cases the spells you're missing were added in later expansions, so the spells themselves are sold on NPCs within those expansions. When those expansions were new, it was at the forefront of everyone's mind to go and get their new spells. Now it's quite easy to forget which expansion had which spell and whether it's worth it to travel to buy it, which is why the PoK library exists in the way it does now.

There probably isn't an easy in game mechanism for someone actively trying to avoid PoK to figure out where their spells are. If it makes you feel any better, at the time everyone used external sites to find this stuff anyway, even when it was way less complex. So the method above regarding checking Zam is still "in era" really.

If you want to be really sure, you can run the command /output missingspells missing.txt. Then go and read the text file to find out what you're missing.
  7. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Yes that makes sense. I'd argue if I am still in the Classic areas if the new spells are even really needed or if they changed some what with the expansions themselves to a degree. And yet when I see some spells like the light spells are for low level characters and only at PoK it does help to see as a night blind barbarian

Does an external light source like the lantern help attract attention from NPCs? I know in PVP I would just avoid all external light and only cast in between ridges so as to keep unwanted attention away from me when possible. ^^!

Also how does one run the command? In game or at a prompt?
  8. Fredescu Augur

No.

In game. I tried it just now. You can leave off the .txt file part and it will default to something that makes sense. It will even link directly to it in your chat window. If you click that link it will launch that file in notepad (or your default .txt editor).
  9. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Oh. I had always thought that was part of the EQ equation. Humans died more easily at night. ^^!

And thanks for the follow up.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Up to level 90 you can purchase all your spells in Plane of Knowledge, after that you need to go to each expansion and purchase them from there. :)