Increase Sales With Two Words

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Pawtato, May 10, 2020.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

Interesting. Epics don't have to be weapons. Worth considering IMHO.
    minimind likes this.
  2. Zamiam Augur

I would of taken new Epics instead of Overseer .. still wondering how or why that was voted on.. and how much dev resource's were used (wasted) on it vs new content (ie - new continents, zones, spells, aa's )

If its between just Epics or the current Expansion handbook i'll keep taking the expansions with the limited copy pasted, zones, spells and aa upgrades .

at least with the current expansions we get a few zones albeit cloned from previous expansions . we also get a few nice things illusions , familiars, few bags , and the clicky gate to the said current new expansion zone ..

If they ever release an expansion without those items i doubt id pay the price they want for the collection, premium or family .
    Koveras, Chopin.Xegony and Vumad like this.
  3. kizant Augur

I don't see a point in epic quests. Just add some more unique weapons/items like the ones in RoS or EoK every so often.
  4. Triconix Augur

1. Awesome lore that offers some of the best immersion an MMO has to offer.
    2. Nothing beats the feeling of accomplishment of finishing an Epic quest. In a time of "must have everything asap" and instant gratification, an Epic offers something unique.
    3. More enjoyable than anything in this game
    4. Builds closer relationships between friends and guilds from questing together and assisting each other more so than any raid can. Raids can be done for selfish reasons. Helping with epics is usually selfless.
    5. Unique class weapon award from a quest that's completely oriented around that class and your class's lore.
    6. Unique bonuses - titles, clickies, etc - only seen on Epics that can last literal decades. I'm sure you, as a former SK, can appreciate how special and powerful an item was from doing an Epic. There aren't many items in this game that has had such lasting importance and usefulness. Necro 2.0 has literally shaped that entire class, for better or worse, for nearly 20 years.

Do you need me to continue?
    Koveras, Maedhros and Questoften32 like this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

o_O
  6. Madruk New Member

You could probably just streamline it and have one over-arching quest for all the epics and you just get the epic based on your class once you finish.
  7. kizant Augur

Since when did EQ have lore?

What's even better is the feeling of not wasting time on items that are useless the next year.

Raiding is what makes this game fun.

What's selfish about beating raids? It's the only challenge you have in the game and takes a lot of people working together. Epics are completely selfish because only one person benefits and most epics haven't even been very good.

Does it increase my DPS? That's all that matters.

I play Wizard and our epic has never been very good. I'm glad that a couple classes have gotten something out of theirs but that's not the case for the majority of classes.

Yes.
  8. Pawtato Augur

Raids are really boring content. Group content is too, but raid content is more boring.

Also, they’re pretty tremendous waste of the games resources. EQ hitched their carriage to the wrong horse. Mearatas had like 11 guilds complete it in era? Quite a few of those play in multiple guilds, so the raid game really isn’t that healthy.

I’m not saying stop making raids, because they are nice community events. Plus, at this point that’s the audience that is left.
  9. Triconix Augur

If that's your mentality then you really are a shallow individual who truly doesn't like this game. All you care about is a number at the end of a 20 minute fight. Cool.

Coming from someone arguing for block models, I find the contradictory mentality confounding.

P.S. Epic 2.0s lasted 4-5 years for most people. You should probably learn a thing or two besides spamming your one multibind key.
    Galarian and Questoften32 like this.
  10. kizant Augur

Raids and parsing are the only two challenging things.

So, based on what I posted above you're surprised that I don't care about pretty graphics?

False.
    Kuvani likes this.
  11. Bigstomp Augur

Proposal: Ban people who are cheating and automating.

Make your paying customers who play fair happy.
  12. josh Augur

I get that this isn't what most people are asking for, but personally, all i want is the epic. The item design time might be lengthy but i feel like all you really need to do is make one quest line, similar to the rallos zek earing from tov in scope, with a unique reward for every class. The unique quest isn't necessary to me, just the item. Still a lot i know but a much more reasonable request i think.
  13. Moege Augur

We are currently used to things being done in a certain way deviating from that makes us wonder if something is not again broken and thus the complaints. So all well and good to put easter egss in place just do not be surprised when you get bug reports.

Unfortunately the track record on misspelling/left out keywords/missing npc/tiny trigger areas/outright mistakes on items speaks volumes on the testing that is not happening.

Then and expansion or so later a dev feels that it is time to fix/change the things that was irritating players all along and it just gets reinforced that players need to loudly and continuously complain for something to actually happen when it matters.
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

I think there are 2 different topics that need to be discussed....

1) Upgrading the existing epics and 2) new epics.

1) An upgrade should just replace the RoS/ToV earring and TBL evolver cycle. I think that it should be tied to expansion ACH instead of arbitrary things like old ACH and tradeskills. An Epic Upgrade is a great way to motivate people to complete challenger and Vanquisher in era. The next expansion (or the 1 after if it is too late) is the best time for that.

2) New epics. That would be a 25th anniversary goal. That creates a dev timeline of 4 graphics and story lines per year. We don't need individual events, just individual lore. That is a reasonable request. And if raids are important, reducing it to priest/caster/melee/tank would bring the raids down from 16 to 4.

GMM proved how much can be done with a single zone. A lot of the epic stories can be carried out in a single zone/instance with different objectives and mob models. 16 stories, 1 round of tuning.

I think if it were DLC, people might pay, but I think from a global perspective that is a terrible idea. It's the difference between finding a way to bring value to customers vs trying to squeeze every last coin possible out of them. People are not naive and the long term loss of loyalty is more costly than the gains of DLC.

An Epic Celebration is a much better marketing tool and an Epic DLC.
    PCSS and Pawtato like this.
  15. Pawtato Augur

That’s a good phrase for the 25th anniversary.
    PCSS and Skuz like this.
  16. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Those were the days! You really did get your money's worth back then. ^^! However EQ was not free to play either in those days.

Loyalty? Steal and then say you should go back years later, most likely stealing even more games in the process? Yea... that's something to aspire to. Let's look at Steam and point the finger at their DRM practices, but shake the hands of pirates who would slit your throat if it meant they could get something for free. No thank you.
  17. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Not actually epics. I could (not this time, sorry already have the plan and it's better for the story than...) do unique weapon graphics. But no. The long quests with the evolving item grind are not "epic" enough. (At least IMO) I'm not saying they are "easy" but not quite epic. They are not class specific enough. A main party of the epics is a "class" story for each. The TS quest is not class based, just expansion story based.
  18. Maedhros High King

I'd happily pay $40 just for new epics. Hell make it $100 for the epics and raise the expansion base price to $60. You guys are unselling your customer base that is mostly old and doesn't have to ask mom to take us to Electronics Boutique to buy the latest expansion anymore. Other than Fintank.
    Astral64 and Duder like this.
  19. Maedhros High King

*under-selling.
    Astral64 likes this.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yeah please do not do this Daybreak. I dont want to be forced to pay for epics a few players are jonesing for. IF you can just charge the ones that want them an extra 100 bucks that is fine with me :)

I suspect if they ever did this they would lose subscribers but I could be wrong.
    Coagagin and Vumad like this.