Increase Sales With Two Words

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Pawtato, May 10, 2020.

1. strongbus Augur

is that what they kinda did with rof think it was. I know one of the last 5 or so exp if you got all the ach you got a class based uber weapon.
  2. Dhurgan Augur

I agree with you on the Rallos Zek earring. Most people don't want an "epic", they just want an item with a unique click effect that is beneficial through expansions, which the 2.0's had.
    Tucoh likes this.
  3. ForumBoss Augur

A weapon with cool graphic and clicky is nice, kind of like what rof progression yielded. Even if it gets out classed, maybe it can be used as house decor or a click for a while. The artisans prize is useful as it's an aug, but some folks hate tradeskills.
  4. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Maybe they will bring back Everquest Online Adventures...

lockjaws likes this.
  5. Zolav Augur

Ha!, 16 diff immersive quest lines.. ya that is not gonna happen. Although your right it would be awesome.
  6. Questoften32 Augur

That is cheap, there not point without the imagination aspect of a fantasy second is stats, you need both that is all. I play for what many would call convoluted, eccentric stuff, but which I would call the imaginative adventure aspect of a game.

I have imagination, stats are not enough, story and quests and creativeness is needed. If you never played dungeons and dragons or went back and played it, or cant envision yourself doing it regardless of format, then you need to higher a consultant about ever quest. Ever quest is tasteful camp, innocent but cult ''like a cult classic movie people love'' stuff and grinding.

Thats whats fun.

I like the old world task also partly because the dialog is so odd, in a cult classic sort of way, like some of ravens tasks in halas very early on.

Even eq2 comments ''a nightmarish shroom has died from pain and suffering'' That became a meme around my household, more so used when commenting on the news ''like sarcastically when the media gos overboard to wring sympathy until its like a senseless mantra that devolves into nothing, disrespecting the event itself.''Hey ho lets go!''

I buy the new expansions to support the game and for features, but this is why I stick to old content basically. It lacks the sword and sorcery element, campy, involved fun, otherwise quality standard, and is mindless.

I want to be able to f up and have guards chasing my character. Its immersive and realistic. I actually think.

DEVs should Play dungeons and dragons, watch old B movies, and Red Sonja, Konan the barbarian. Make it fun. Failing that higher a dramatic artist that made anime in the 90's but has that tell tell nod to western culture that was prevalent. Even if they got it wrong they would at least do it with feeling.

Put secret things you can say to the npcs in there. Stop the streamlining neutralizing stuff for player that need crash helmets in there head slots.

Not everyone that plays is a cow chewing cud...some of us play in marathon sessions, wonder off and come back forever, and often. Yet we do have lives and enjoy art.

I think eq worth playing because of purity in variation and imagination. I want the quest to tell me something like request a single hair off the rump of the god of hate for this to work. Get the golden hair of sif in the wake of a fleeting thought. It turns me on in a platonic sense of course.
  7. Ngreth Thergn Developer

This is not a promise. This is a question.

Would you pay the full 40 (and extra for collectors, premium, family and friends packs of some sort similar to what we have now) for an expansion that had NO new (or even revamped) zones, limited new gear, limited new spells, limited new AA's, BUT had new Epic Quests?

Because that's the extent of it. Though we might have the art time for new zones, we wouldn't have the design time to populate the zones and add quests that are not part of the new epics. Any raids we had would be focused on the epics as well. The items, spells, and AA designers would be pulled into making content, so they would not have the time for a "full expansion's" worth of their usual systems work.

I get bug reports every-time I do this :(
  8. Pawtato Augur

Yes, I would. It would be better value than ToV. Sounded a little more harsh than I’d prefer, but 12 month expansion cycles seem to be crushing the team. I wish you all would move towards 18 month cycles. Giving the development team and the player base a shared interest would give both sides a lot of energy and kindle some RPG passion.
    Questoften32 likes this.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I would not pay the price for a full expansion just to get one quest-line.

I would rather want a real expansion. :)

Exploring new places and getting new items(more than one item!) is part of the charm of this game...
  10. strongbus Augur

How bout something in between ngreth. Such as the last few exp ear item quest line. do the same thing IE one big quest line for everyone but instead of a ear. have it be a epic. this way instead of having to do a new epic quest line per class. It just 16 weapons you have to make. Don't even have to make them give a weap at each quest. Just the final quest. To be fair to raider and non raiders could do like you did for the 2.0 vs 2.5. Could do a second quest that you get a raid drop turn into a npc and get a selection of stat augs to chose from to custom a persons epic to how they play. With raid stats. Could even do it where the group one is as good stat wise as the raid weaps in said exp with the upgraded raid drop one is better like the ears are now.
    Vumad and Caell like this.
  11. Discord Ocean of Tears Conservationist

How about an expansion specific to the TLP community that had new raids with new gear and new unique challenges / keying
  12. Duder Augur

That's a hard one. Short answer would be that I'd pay it, but I wouldn't be happy about there being nothing else to do other than the epic quest for the next year, especially if the effects/long-term usefulness on the epics were trash. Would there also be no new gear(other than the epics), no new augs, and no new raids?
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What is really epic about this? Sounds like it would just turn into more content to do for everyone. The epic quests at least had a story line for each class.

Also you should compare the 1.5 and 2.0 as both the 2.0 and 2.5 required drops from end game raids when they where introduced in different expansions.
    Questoften32 likes this.
  14. Questoften32 Augur

It would encourage me to play more characters on higher levels I would buy the Premium for such a long awaited thing, and do the quest on every class I find playable eventually. The collectors edition onward could have a epic related, get going, sort of pack that was useful. These should take a bit as current. No pure guides.

So a lot of replay value there. More than a conventional uniform thing, if truly epic.Why more of the same? You could do something epic, and long awaited get inactive accounts back, this would help the game.

If people would worry add as easily implemented all level feature to satisfy the, oblivious, uncaring, flash in the pan player. Things that dont take much work ie just enable, or a graphic, a hotfix. That will function as such.

Think of age of discovery on eq2 with bst: the scope was limited but specifically better than many others and more worth the money. Content over quantity.

''You remember the old joke from ''Young guns 2'' about whats for eating, the good news and bad news, the one that ended: that the good news was there was lots of it.'' Zones we have.

Like that but not really. This is also very specifically completing, anticipated and arguably needed.

The epics should likely be unique though, like a continuation of where the stories played out before, don't you think? If it was a multi-class rehash on any really noticeable level it wouldn't work...but hell yes.

As for the bug reports, trash em In/out.

If they don't have a sense of humor are are that literally, fundamentally minded, ''robot has to be on task, dose not compute'' well that is not in the spirit of eq if its clear its got nothing to do with the quests ''direct outcome'' then there is no problem. Eggs are fun. Unexpected eggs are better.

I'm sure somewhere some ones saying weird things to the npcs...imagine them just coming out with a witticism or frank comment if the right thing is said, right out of the azure sky? The left field in limited measure, is well worth exploring and adds the spice of life.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

18 month expansion cycles? Worst idea ever!

They would lose subscription revenue (players already knock out content fairly quickly) and people would drift away from the game (find other games or join a MMORPG that drops a yearly expansion).
  16. strongbus Augur

Could do it like the epic retelling. Something that has some store for each class. I am just looking for something that works for everyone.
  17. Pawtato Augur

You’re right, but it’s hard not to notice how tight their work schedule is becoming. They need to release a new expansion, new TLPs, corrective and routine issues, Overseer updates, new marketplace items. As much as they love EQ, their schedule is just too compressed.
  18. Belkar_OotS Augur

I would pay $40 for the quests in addition to the normal cycle. I would not want them to replace my yearly cycle of content. I would want new zones and some quests to do other than just slamming through epics.

I could go for a split cycle. Half the quests and half the normal content 1 year, then the other half the second. First gut is split plate and leather, cloth and chain. Or do half the quest line each time in a 3.0 to 3.5 style. No level increase. But make sure the reward is basically a forever scaling useful item we will want ... Forever. Go back and get it 5 years from now because it is cool, class defining and useful.

The quests should also be on the overly fun and amusing side. I want gags and humor in spades. Like the commentary of the bees in Bixie Warfront and the Nagafen monster mission. Battles and feuds. Would be fun to have SK/Paladin play opposite sides on a battle. There should be a good amount of replay value in doing these too imo since we will be doing these fights for YEARS to come for every character most of us make. Do not make the final click different than what a mid tier semi ragtag raid could accomplish. A stats only increase from a uber hard said is fine.
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

So you're acknowledging that the dev team is hard pressed on resources, time, and content. Yet, you want them to create 16 lengthy quests (1 epic for each class) of which each player will probably only do a few or a handful at most?

We aren't even talking about losing the raid demographic.
  20. Pawtato Augur

Dude, yes but I’m trying to push for it by the 25th anniversary with community involvement. It’s been 16 years, it’s wholly realistic to expect epic quest lines to be completed in a 20 year window.