Getting started

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Rapax, May 6, 2020.

1. Rapax New Member

I am sure that this has been asked and answered a few times but I was wondering what recommendations players have for a relative newbie? I've dabbled with EQ a bit but never really got into it.

What servers are recommended for a total newbie? What classes should I potentially check out?
  2. Xerzist Augur

Bristlebane has a great community with competitive guilds and from what I have gathered plenty of newbie friendly ones. Just sayin' ;)

As for class composition I'd say it entirely depends on what you enjoy doing in the game. As a new player raiding might be an afterthought but you should still think about what role you prefer doing later on: healing, dps, main tanking, off tanking, etc.

Tanks and healers have arguably the most stressful roles. People expect you to play well. I am not going to mock DPS classes because their is some serious work that goes into performing well in that role but as far as raid/group scenes go they are generally the most laid back and may provide the easiest way for you to learn the game.

If you aren't sure:

Main Tanks = Warriors
    Off Tanks = Paladin, SK
    DPS: Rogue, Beastlord, Wizard, Necro, Magician, etc
    Healers: Shaman, Cleric, Druid

People will argue with me but those are the traditional roles. Some players can turn any class into being good at many things.
  3. Dre. Altoholic

Echo Bristle. Get an invite into The Dark Reign. Lots of friendly folks there who would help ya out.

Class - Druid, Monk and Ranger are good for newcomers.
  4. Rapax New Member

Well I did not appreciate such responses.

I did start on Bristlebane as a Magician and I'm playing through the tutorial to see if I can learn the ropes. Any further advice is welcomed.
  5. Loki4567 Lorekeeper

On may 27th there are new servers launching. Aradune will have by far the most active low level community when those servers launch. Jump on the bandwagon and have a ball for a month or two, then re-assess and figure out where you want to play.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

https://www.eqmagetower.com/forums/index.php
  7. Fluid Augur

Good choice! Between the pet and a merc, you will get a good feel for what goes on when grouped.

Most Magician play is straightforward. You treat the pet just like it is a group member and you will have good success. I think the first pet you get when you are level 2 is ~level 4-5 water pet. Having a pet a couple of levels above you makes it a dream for a number of levels<up to about level 20?> before the pet falls behind.

If you haven't done it already, complete the introduction quests in Gloomingdeep to get the SoW speed enhancement. Stay there until you get the charm slot reward as it is good enough to last until level 50. It is a good idea to go in and out of the tutorial after about level 5. https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=5592 is one I always do so you have a good weapon, shield and belt.

Don't be afraid to drop equipment on your pet. *IF* you can, find an advanced mage to summon some pet toys like armor and jewelry. If money isn't a problem, I always drop any stat giving armor loot on my pets. It's a 6 of one, half dozen of the other deal. Some people treat their pets as disposable, I have a tendency to use the same pet for at least four levels. The fire pet has the lowest starting stats but comes with a better damage shield then you can put on it. IIF you are willing to fully twink out your pet with armor and toys, it makes the best pet for leveling. They still have some limits in that gear is level scaled, i.e. something that may give 4 strength to a level 40 pet may only give 2 strength to a level 20 pet. Still, a fully equipped fire pet can survive OK and wear down MOBs as they beat on it. If you go the other way, malachite is cheap, not so much.
  8. Rapax New Member

Thank you all so much. I realized that I said "I did not appreciate all responses" I meant I did not expect them my apologies.

I'll keep all these recommendations in mind.
  9. Buri Augur

10. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

I was wondering about that. I thought it odd (the "Q" word is censored...) for sure. o_0 Makes much more sense now. A shame we can not just go back and edit out those embarrassing little details later or past thirty minutes anyway. ^^!

The game is not quite like it used to be and others are much more knowledgeable then myself. However something that has survived the test of time is choosing a race and class that seems interesting to you and fun to play. No matter how powerful something is or potentially could be, if it is not what you are "feeling", it wont do you much good in the fun factor department or long term. Picking something you can connect with, regardless of the racial penalties or positives, trumps basically everything else.
  11. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Druid is the easiest class in EQ to play & learn the game.
    Mage is also a decent beginner class but the difficulty level is a little higher.
  12. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

What makes the Druid the easiest to play though?
  13. Fluid Augur

+1 I wouldn't say easiest. SoW & Stinging Swarm at level 10, tracking, forage, ports, all make for a strong character if you play into their strengths. Not to equipment dependent or ability to solo are good too.

One of my bosses years ago jumped all over me when I replied to a question he had "Its easy." He said "Sure it's easy for you because you know how to do it!"

I would reserve easiest as being the 6th person in a group with 5 other people that know what they are doing. :)
  14. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

But how truly different from a Shaman is a Druid? They get SoW at level 10 as well and a whole slew of buffs and debuffs. Gate as well, although I am not sure if that is the same as porting, you just get to go back to your bind point which is useful. It's saved me more than once so far.

I am not sure if a Shaman get's tracking though, which is useful. Forage you get so much food as it is I doubt that could be useful.

Unfortunately a Shaman is gear dependent I think with highest is chainmail and you can not carry swords or spears which is a bummer. Although I am using a Barbarian so he does have a bit of brawn to make up for other weaknesses.

Also has SoW been nerfed? It seems like I am not running as fast as I use to in Classic when I was bestowed with it. Now I am going just ever so slightly faster it seems when I finally get to cast it on myself. o_0
  15. Xenze Elder

They're post "priest" classes that were meant to be "healers" first and foremost. So they're both good healers, though Shamans pull ahead. They both have DoTs, DDs, Roots, buffs/debuffs.

It more or less comes down to player fantasy. And Shaman will add more adps to a melee group while a Druid will do more so with a caster group.

And gear dependency doesn't really fall back on "what type of armor you wear" as opposed to what your character is meant to do. Casters can get by with gear that's lagging behind since they don't need the HP/AC (they shouldn't be getting hit) - so long as they have the foci to increase spell damage and the mana to cast their spells.

Melee toons biggest upgrades are weapons since most of their abilities are based off their weapon damage (is this correct?)

And then there's Tanks who are very gear dependent since they're taking all the hits and need as much HP/AC to help mitigate damage as well as augs to further enhance both those, and the AAs which increase damage mitigation in their own ways.