4th box for this group?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by hiolpe, May 9, 2020.

1. hiolpe Journeyman

I’m considering adding a 4th box to my existing group consisting of SK/Ench/Wiz. I know this 3 box isn’t optimal (no tracking, healing, coth), but I really like these classes so I stuck with them. All toons are lvl 111-113.

I’m alt-tabbing but I think I have the bandwidth to add a 4th toon. Some options I’m looking at are mage (off-tank, coth, dps), druid (track, heals, dps, adps), and bard (adps, dps, track).

The mage probably brings the most dps + incredible synergy with ench and wiz. Off-tank would be useful too. No track unfortunately.

On paper I think the Druid looks great but I’ve been reading that their heals are underpowered. But track sounds useful. I don’t plan on doing old raids so I’m not sure if I actually need pc heals going forward. 1 merc seems to keep my sk up fine.

The bard would be the easiest to box and would my group do everything a little better. Plus they bring track.

Any other classes that I should consider for a 4th? What would you guys recommend?

Thanks for reading.
  2. Craized Lorekeeper

Bard is always a good shout.

If your alt tabbing though, I would question wether adding another box is necessarily a good idea. 4 accounts on one comp can be difficult to control manually. I would suggest using mercs might be more efficient. I think it’s also worth mentioning a short cut I stumbled on recently that’s helping me box, and that is hold alt, escape. Immediately Swaps between windows you have open with just the one keystroke. Works very well with my 3 box setup on 2 computers.
    lockjaws likes this.
  3. hiolpe Journeyman

Nice I didn't know about alt + esc. Could be useful since it goes to the next window instantly. I agree 4 toons can be tricky to control. I'm always trying to improve my setup and hotkeys for more efficiency. I basically got a handle on boxing 3 toons and consumed a krono on a new account for the free heroic deal.

I guess if I could do it over again I would have sk, enc, druid and then add a mage for coth + off-tank. But that ship has sailed.
  4. Vumad Cape Wearer

Windows Key + # will also switch between boxes.

There are keyboards, like the logitech G910, that have macro options. These works just like the ones inside Everquest. So for example, you can assign G1 to mean WinKey+1 so anytime you hit a G-key it switches to the windows1 character. This is the same as your alt+esc but makes it one key instead of 2. You can also set it to Win+4, #1, Win+1. So it would switch to the 4th character like a druid, use hotkey #1 say a heal, then switch back to character 1. Youd have to load your characters in order, and if one crashes, you have to reload as needed to get them back into order.

[Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] still requires you to press each key, but it passes through. It just removes the alt+tab.

I like the utility of the mage and the druid, so thats my vote. I am ENC/MAG/CLR so my FTP bard always gets song aggro on overpulls and dies. Shouldn't be an issue since you have a SK in group. Even then, I use a FTP druid to port my group, then run with the mage and COH my group, campfire, port, coh, etc. I cam move around really fast.

Don't rule out FTP boxes. If the only thing you want a druid for is port/track/forage then you can FTP that toon. Just let it eat some XP for levels but don't ever really play it. That's what I did.
  5. Fluid Augur

IMO, most people don't take advantage of their group. It should be more focused on running a group at maximum efficiency over picking a group.

Just as a for instance, a Druid can cast a heal over time spell on the main tank before the fight begins. These heals are manna efficient and allow the Druid to do other things like DOT and snare.

Ditto for a Shaman, they actually get their regeneration spells earlier then a Druid. Casting them before a MOB is engaged doesn't immediately draw unwanted attention and eases the burden on the other healers. This frees the Shaman up for slows and DOTs during the main fight.

Lots of a Ranger's spells take place before the battle begin. Spells like Riftwind's Protection stack with a Magcian's fire shield spells which adds a little plus to any fight.

I've often said I like Enchanters for what they bring to the table. Mos of what they do unless it is charming takes place outside the DPS race. You don't wait until the MOB is engaged to cast haste and damage shields on your tanks or clarity on your spell tossers.

Most of these strategies lend themselves to boxing. You can literally single macro a Druid to do their work and sit down to meditate. Same thing for a Ranger, just turn on autofire with a couple of spells tossed in like snares or DOT and they really are a set it and forget it class.
  6. Pawtato Augur

I'm in favor of the mage being added to the group. It's going to boost both your ench and wiz dps. The pet will add a secondary tank, which helps if your sk dies.
  7. Tucoh Augur

Mage, druid and bard are all good options. I wouldn't do more than three boxes without inner space boxer.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I'd say add a Mage

DS, pet can take over should tank die, coth for awkward pulls & easy moving around zones, solid dps & Malos debuff to help enchanter & Wizard nukes land, fairly low overhead on attention required to use.
  9. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

If you're set on keeping the enchanter/wizard, I'd say mage for sure.

Or put in a little more time on the front end and level up some classes that match up better with the SK (bard, shaman and zerker would be my recommendation if running a real sk tank as your main).

Good time for it, what with the tov gear being so easy to get functional gear.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. hiolpe Journeyman

I actually have a keyboard with those G-keys. I'll have to try them out, thanks for the tip.

I have a 107 shaman and 86 bard that I could run instead of enchanter and wiz, but it seems to take so long to kill compared to enc/wiz. I could see the shm/bard being more sturdier but even in gmm exp comes really slow. Boxing a zerker might be tricky too. For tov gear are you referring to T1 gear? That's what I'm planning on grabbing for my boxes once the non-visibles become more affordable.
    Yeah I think I'll add a mage to the group. Worst case scenario it will allow me more flexibility if I just want to 3 box and take out the enc or wiz. The new mage is currently lvl 89 after grinding in gmm for about an hour - hour and a half. Is this still the best exp method? I guess I can start playing around with exp sharing once I'm happy with other toon's aa. I don't have ToV on mage account so I can't bring him there.
    Thanks for the responses all.
  11. Tucoh Augur

Grinding in GMM is a good option, but for a box that is more supplementary than an enabling character I'd recommend using fellowship xp / vitality sharing (when you're happy on AAs/levels) and farming gear for your high level characters.
    hiolpe likes this.
  12. Xenze Elder

Mage > Bard simply due to the fact that CotH > Track when you have that many toons to deal with. Not to mention even a boxed Mage running strictly off of macros should be able to put up better numbers than the adps that the bard brings. Not to mention the synergy with the other 2 casters in the group.

And kind of an unpopular opinion, but keep your 3 box team, 1 healer merc, 2 wiz merc, and make use of your Wizards Alliance spell :)
  13. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Bard is pretty much always option #1