Wood Elf Beastlords...What a Waste

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Pawtato, May 6, 2020.

1. Bigstomp Augur

I feel my cleric would be more well rounded if she were an ogre. That should happen.
  2. Elyssanda Bardbrain

she would be rounder....
  3. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I think Troll Offensive would be yellow Jungle Spider, since that's already tied to their heritage crate?

You can't use Kobold, because they're "sentient" Soo maybe Gorilla (CT, now Feerrot is one of the only places Gorillas existed in original EQ & starting areas)

Woodelf offensive should definitely be Fae Drake. That's what most people were hoping for with WE BL's anyway.

Then you can add in Gnome:
    Clockwork Rat/Spider/Whatever (except the humanoid model) for off/def. While not technically "in-tune" with some animal spirit.. they can command their clockwork.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

If we're droning on about race/class combos:

Iksar Berserker should be up at the top.
    Iksar Rogue should be right up there as well (there are tons od NPC ones, why not players?)

Barbarian Paladin, since there's no large race paladin options.

Darkelf Bard. Even evil ones can sing about evil things. (I really don't see why Bard couldn't be as universal as Warrior, if not totally universal? It makes sense to me.)

Vah Shir Monk, since the BL is a mix of Shaman/Monk and somewhat Ranger. I think it'd fit well.

Half Elf should open up cleric. They have Paladin already and it would fit in with their crossover with humans.

They could add in Dwarf SK, but I'd tie it to Deity? Where Kaladim is the "good" Dwarves, Selecting, say Bertoxx for an evil Deity would limit starting city to CR and maybe some other location added later on? Also shift to appearance so they have a grayish tint? Similar to the Drakkin customization interface.

The biggest thing, that would limit DPG (or whoever owns EQ at the time) is model integration. Adding a class/race to an existing armor type wouldn't be extremely difficult, in comparison to modeling out Robes for Ogres, as an example.
    Wyndar and Skuz like this.
  5. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

And can we stop having versions of wolves? The Barbarian's were decent. A scaled wolf for the Iskar... really? You could not come up with something better than a "scaled" wolf!? And a black wolf would not be much better.
  6. Ninelder Augur

My point was that EQ shaman have no relativity to anything that could be described as a shaman. There is no precedence for chain mail or a wolf pet. Nothing in history. Nothing in Literature.

By comparison, EQ clerics are based off of Lord of the Rings Dwarven clerics/paladins. Which is an entirely different can of worms. There is at least basis for it.
  7. Password1234 Augur

Scaled wolves are beasts from the continent that Iksar are from, and were introduced to the game at the same time as the Iksar themselves, so it makes complete sense for Iksar Beastlords to be lords of these particular beasts. Scaled wolves are a big part of Kunark's flavor; have you not played an Iksar before and seen them in the various newbie zones around Cabilis?
  8. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

It is not very original though. And I have only played two classes of Iskar, but I am sure there were other things in the area besides that or something truly fun and unique could of been created just for the Iskar Beastlord. Why not give the Dark-Elf a zombie wolf? Or a Troll a swamp wolf? A Wood Elf a forest wolf? Human a brown wolf? A High Elf a high wolf, complete with ridiculously tall pointed ears? (Yes I know certain races can not be Beastlords... yet... oO )

My point is one wolf was enough for EQ. It did not need two or more for the same class of all things. Although in retrospect... a zombie dog with saggy chewed flesh and bone showing like from Resident Evil series would be a cool pet to have... Maybe a vampire dog... those existed... I saw it in a movie once anyway. ^^!
  9. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

EQ is the basis. As I said sometimes they like to blaze a trail. It has to start some where.
  10. code-zero Augur

This thread is making me want to start a WE BL and a froggy monk to go adventuring together
    Elyssanda and Celephane like this.
  11. Pawtato Augur

I forgot the fake Guktans could be monks. #NotMyFroglok
  12. Braveheart Augur

Wood Elf BST should have gotten a Raven. Now that would have made them unique.
  13. Sokanist Journeyman

I like wood elf beastlords the treant is just fine IMO

as a primary TLP server player however Im sad that it can't be played on TLPs but that's another story

wood elfs in robes from hero's forge along side the treant can look quite well IMO
  14. Password1234 Augur

A scaled wolf isn't even a wolf, really, it's like when someone calls a Koala a "Koala Bear." They're basically miniature dinosaurs. They fit in perfectly with the Iksar, Kunark, the lore, and are 1000x better than a mosquito, or a leech, or a burynai or whatever else you'd pull out of Kunark for them to use. You're making a pretty big deal out of the fact that there are two Beastlords who have pets with "wolf" in the name.

(zombie dogs already exist as rotdogs, btw)
    Celephane likes this.
  15. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

ALL races should get a warder form assigned; so that when bestial alignment is hit, a variety of forms appear.
  16. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

I stand corrected, at least looking at pictures online. Then again I am seeing different versions with four or six legs or so the pictures appears to have. And the internet does not always distinguish between EQ 1 & 2 pets or illusions. What I was thinking of was a greyish looking wolf with scaly looking features, almost amphibian, but definitely a wolf. In fact it looks like the Barbarian's ward with pasted on scales. I could of sworn I had seen a picture of that some where about EQ...

But I yield to your wisdom. *prostrates himself upon the cold hard stone floor and slowly backs away, never raising his head nor dare to give eye contact to his superior and slithers out of the room like the mutt he is...*

However, I still would not want the WE BST to have a black wolf for the same reasons given. ^^!
  17. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

That would be nice. I saw a drawn picture either in my Kunark guide or as a loading screen, assuming it was a Wood Elf or similar creature. My thing is, are all the BST pets the exact same though, or do they have minor differences in their power, attacks, HP, etc.? For instance the WE is already light and nimble. A WE BST pet raven would be the same. Not powerful to tank, but could swoop in and out with the hits, maybe have the chance to blind the enemy with eye gouges of the talons. Maybe even control two or three pet ravens to add to the power after the WE BST levels to a degree. Either that or take some ferrets named Kodo and Podo out of your pockets so they can play ping pong with Orc balls. ^^!

If interested, here is the full movie. Definitely a B movie, but a decent one. I do not make the same claims of the sequels however. ^^!

18. Questoften32 Augur

I would I think, name mine Lenore but alas/as Quoth the DB, Nevermore. Wood elf gently , , softly scratching, at mine chamber door, complains of bonsai, evermore. A high elf, I ponder weak and weary, If to propose a romantic query, to this wood elf woman simply knocking...knocking at my chamber door, at least of me/better choice than her kind/made before. A warder cat could I bestowing her, from pet shop seen, on 44. As for the tree: Caveat emptor "Let the buyer beware" My fire dim, to be kindled anew/I rise perchance to open the door: sweet interlude/romantic fire. I will free her from her burden.
  19. Boze TLP complaint factory

Thank you for this. "Fantasmagorical"? Did I hear that right? Did they paint a tiger black?
  20. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

[A phantasmagoria came to describe any kind of magic lantern show with projected images.

Phantasmagorical is the adjective form of phantasmagoria found by the 1820s, with phantasmagoric documented slightly earlier.

The sense evolved from its original reference to a light show to “a rapidly shifting, startling scene” and then to something with an “unreal” or “surreal” quality, positive or negative. In political discourse, phantasmagorical is often negative, e.g., a phantasmagorical sense of one’s own power is illusory, misleading.]

I honestly thought they were speaking of a word made for Phantasm the movie. ^^!

IMDb Trivia- [Dar's black tiger is actually a regular striped tiger dyed black. The dye would wash off around the mouth whenever the tiger took a drink, so the stripes are often visible around its mouth.]

[Director Don Coscarelli originally wanted black leopards to portray Dar's big cat companions, but the animal trainers told him leopards are very skittish and notoriously hard to work with. When they suggested using tigers, he commented that he didn't like the stripes, so the trainers agreed to dye the tigers. Cases of Lady Clairol hair dye were kept on-set for touch-ups. Despite this, the dye often washed off in spots, and stripes showed through in certain lighting.]

[About 25 ferrets played Kodo and Podo. Ferrets can't really be trained, so they were often baited with food to go or look where needed. Four tigers played Rhu; the main one was named Kipling.]

[The film is known as "Miracle Master" in Japan.]

[On Marc Singer's first day of filming,

Billy Jayne

(at the time his last name was Jacoby) was filming the scene where young Dar first learns that he could control animals. The bear happened to be a Russian bear, and the only bear working in Hollywood at the time. As soon as he came out, the bear broke loose and attacked his handler, sending the rest of the crew fleeing into nearby vehicles for safety. As soon as the bear was recaptured and the handler was carried off for medical attention, the crew turned and told Marc that they were ready to film his scene.]

In Mother Russia, bear trains you.
    Boze likes this.