What I want...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by OldTimeIcon, May 6, 2020.

1. FawnTemplar Augur

Oof this thread...
    Bitten, Funky and Elyssanda like this.
  2. Smokezz The Bane Crew

That wasn't why they were offline... bruh.
  3. Flatchy Court Jester

People bring this up but I never seen that. I have played straight since 2004 and never seen servers down that long. Are you sure it just was not your end of the line or something? Maybe your sever I have been on BB since I started.
  4. Smokezz The Bane Crew

They were offline due to a system compromise. Not a DDoS. It was definitely a long time.
  5. Zamiam Augur

on your first post 5th down from OP .. you did not say everyday you said every week since .
    here let me refresh your memory sense there seems to be a problem with it ..

I highlighted your words above in bold ..

here is a link to a wiki page detailing what happened .. if you do a google search there is plenty of info on the servers being brought down. It mostly mentions it from the ps3 network but Sony brought all their game title servers down as security measures and later found out the root attack was on SOE and EQ itself
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_PlayStation_Network_outage
    Sony Online Entertainment outage[edit]

On May 3 Sony stated in a press release that there may be a correlation between the attack that had occurred on April 16 towards the PlayStation Network and one that compromised Sony Online Entertainment on May 2.[26] This portion of the attack resulted in the theft of information on 24.6 million Sony Online Entertainment account holders. The database contained 12,700 credit card numbers, particularly those of non-U.S. residents, and had not been in use since 2007 as much of the data applied to expired cards and deleted accounts. Sony updated this information the following day by stating that only 900 cards on the database were still valid.[62] The attack resulted in the suspension of SOE servers and Facebook games. SOE granted 30 days of free time, plus one day for each day the server was down, to users of Clone Wars Adventures, DC Universe Online, EverQuest, EverQuest II, EverQuest Online Adventures, Free Realms, Pirates of the Burning Sea, PlanetSide, Poxnora, Star Wars Galaxies and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, as well as other forms of compensation for all other Sony Online games.
    Security experts Eugene Lapidous of AnchorFree, Chester Wisniewski of Sophos Canada and Avner Levin of Ryerson University criticized Sony, questioning its methods of securing user data. Lapidous called the breach "difficult to excuse" and Wisniewski called it "an act of hubris or simply gross incompetence".[63][64][65][66]

the point is the servers were down for a month or close enough to it .. Sony caring about their customer base (unlike Daybreak/Darkpaw) Reimbursed us with 30 days of game time + a free day for every day the servers were down so iirc ended up getting like 50+ days of free time added to our accounts .. maybe thats why people think the servers were offline for 2 months when it was more like 3 to 4 weeks ..

the point was made by a few people that they do not recall servers EVER being down that long and they have played sense the beginning .. that is why I (we) brought up the great sony server downtime of 2011 .. some of us who have actually been playing that long do remember ..

also when company's cared about their customer's ..
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Whulfgar Augur

Point of order ..

Never told them to shut up. Only pointed out the fallicy of their own logic which was they played 20 yrs, straight and never seen the servers down for over a month ..

Some of us only been playing for 18 years .. and WE .. know / remember matter of fact when that exactly happened.

Thus .. all the people like myself calling BS on some one who is clearly lie ing ..
  7. Windchaser New Member

I haven't played EQ in years and even I remember the massive downtime after the security breach. I believe it was the attack that also affected PSN, etc. as well.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  8. Endorek Lorekeeper

How about we stop arguing over something that happened 9 years ago and focus on his actual point which is that server outages are happening more frequently lately, and some communication as to what is happening would be nice.
    Bitten likes this.
  9. nildiar Lorekeeper

Ive been thinking on this alot honestly, Ive been back over 2 months.
    Ive played for many years off and on all the way back to the golden days.
    I didnt play when the game first launched or for a few years after launch, Prolly started in 01 or 02.

I DO remember heavy server down times when i first started. BUTTTTTT!!! Usually these were due to patchs and or patching the patch to patch the patch to roll back to prepatch to patch again.
    Or because they just launched an expansion.

That being said minus the time SoE was hacked and or day after an expansion launch. Generally speaking servers were mostly stable in a month would be 4-8 downtimes "patches generally"

What i dont ever remember is this many constant crashes this often not "patches" what we are dealing with here i am guessing is a coding issue some where. Also the last time servers seen populations like this was long ago. Overseer combined with the raid push update combined with the sudden massive uptick in population has put huge load on the servers and code. Atleast my hunch.

Idk what DP SHOULD do, but they need to do SOMETHING!!

Right ----->NOW<----- is the time DP should be catering to the players or atleast attempting to in good faith soothe the many concerns and problems the player base has. I know I KNOW DP doesnt care about us, they are a company that bought eq for profits only....

But a little love to the players, a few more updates from devs about stuff. Whats going on with the stability? What are they planning to do to mitigate crashes in the future? What are they going to do about all the down time weve had these last few months? Lets be honest the crashes and endless we are investigating a issue is getting old.

Dp this is you chance to bail out a sinking ship... for the first time in years there are players, we are spending more money id guess than in many years. DO SOMETHING PLEASE.

This is not aimed at the devs, DW im sorry if you take offense youve tried more than any dev in a long time im sure theres only soo much you can tell us or infact even know. Please see this as what it is 1 players thoughts on this whole thing
  10. Metanis Bad Company

The word for today is serendipitous.
    ADJECTIVE, occurring or discovered by chance in a happy or beneficial way.

1) Basic computer security dictates you don't give away any information about your system design, architecture, or operation because the bad guys can use it to design better focused attacks.

2) Basic legal liability dictates you don't discuss negative issues unless compelled by enforceable legal action.

3) Basic "cover-your-behind" dictates you don't talk about things that might embarrass you or your coworkers or your direct reports or your management team. (Unless you happen to be looking for a new job anyway!)

Thus asking DBG/Darkpaw for specific details is a waste of time because all three of those dictates rules against sharing any meaningful information in any meaningful time frame. So it really is serendipitous for everyone there on staff to refuse to discuss details. Perhaps years from now some former employee will post something in some forum revealing what really happened. Otherwise, the paying customers will be the very LAST to know any real information.
    Duder and Hegsheoshed like this.
  11. svann Augur

IIRC they didnt get ddos'd for 45 days. They got hacked and and eq was down for 30 days to correct their code to ensure it wouldnt happen again. Or was that a different event?
  12. Bitten Journeyman

You are clearly confused, perhaps because of your relatively short span of time in game.(I have been here a food 4 to 5 months longer than you, which I would not have thought could make a difference. Lesson learned.)

Server stability vs. company wide downtime for security investigation and reinforcing are two different things. I won't come back at you again, so go ahead and miss this crucial diff again; I'll be playing EQ or something else.

P.S. You are not good at Argue.
  13. Pawtato Augur

Take the "L" bro. You got dramatic and people proved you to the contrary.
    Skuz, Nennius and Whulfgar like this.
  14. Whulfgar Augur

This is a 100% perfectly shown case of some one (like most on the forums) not accepting their being wrong.

I've been proven wrong, and I openly admitted such .. I wonder why the other poster can not openly admit they are 100% wrong here ?
    Pawtato likes this.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

...or even arguing. What got lost here is the reasonable request for a statement about the admittedly frequent crashes recently. Some statement from DPG that it is a real concern would be a good PR move. I do not expect, nor do I think it would be wise, that DPG should detail the causes of the crashes. But some general admission that there is an issue, we're sorry, we are working hard to identify and eliminate the cause of the crashes would go a long way with their customers.

As to the month-long downtime for the then SOE servers. The story, IIRC, was that a Sony executive failed to properly protect his password. It caused their system to be compromised and they took a month or so to correct the issue. A good friend of mine, who worked for SOE at the time, was understandably reticent about discussing the issue in detail, but he did remark on several occasions that the issue originated in Japan and that he couldn't talk much about it. He then forwarded some links to stories about it.

This article offers some detail on the matter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_PlayStation_Network_outage

and this:

https://www.wired.com/2011/05/sony-online-entertainment-hack/
    Bitten, Endorek and Pawtato like this.
  16. Xenze Elder

If they knew what was causing the issue, they’d be able to fix it so there wouldn’t be any crashes in the future.
    And to be fair, they kept us updated about every 45 minutes with them being on the process of fixing the crash last night.
    But you seem to be all knowing, why don’t you just tell them where the instability comes from and how to fix it so it never happens again

Don’t worry...I’ll wait
    Nennius and Whulfgar like this.
  17. Bitten Journeyman

I know, right?
    FawnTemplar likes this.
  18. Lubianx Augur

Pretty much everyone has gone away from the initial post. Arguing semantics about "the month from hell" doesn't really answer anything the first poster said.

The main crux of the post is this

Endorek likes this.
  19. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

. /
    a full 24 hrs off my time.
    I have 2 days of sub left. :(
  20. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Then why are you even in here answering.. why does it bother you that much?