Wood Elf Beastlords...What a Waste

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Pawtato, May 6, 2020.

1. Yimin Augur

The Frogloc monk was done at a fan fair , ,I know NO ONE that wanted a WoodElf Bst in game ...
    I rarely if ever see a frogloc monk and or woodelf bst ....

My vote was cast none stop on Gnome Bst !

YiMin
  2. Triconix Augur

Hard disagree. Traditional shamans aren't alchemists.They are focused on altered consciousness to better understand the natural and supernatural world and normally have visions with animalistic spirits as a sort of omen or medium to the spirit world. Concepts such as animism and fetishism are common traits of shamanism and are nature-centric. The ghost wolf is the perfect match for a shaman pet in this case.

Shamans in EQ don't practice traditional alchemy, either, so it's difficult to call it as such. Alchemy is thousands of years more recent than shamanism and had nothing to do with spiritualism. It's more of a proto-science than anything as its chemical-centric rather than supernatural. Alchemists normally focused on making common substances into something more valuable or creating the elixir of eternal life and youth.

I don't think devs wanted to simply call what shamans in EQ as "potion-making" so they just ran with the word alchemy, even though there is no connection between the two.
    Skuz, Maedhros and Celephane like this.
  3. Ninelder Augur

They didn't go with the American Indian Shaman role-model. They went with some chaos-agent of disease and decay, tricking the spirits into doing their work or bargaining for it with blood. Killing animals and making totems to steal their strength. The alchemy thing is the hedge wizardry aspect, requiring blood and essence to empower things.

In reality one really really bad dev, took everything good from multiple classes and shoved them into the one he played. Balance be damned. They are still at least the second most OP class in game. No matter how you look at it they are definitely not servants of nature; and not remotely near anything having to do with any semblance of natural order.
  4. Triconix Augur

Nothing of what I said refers to Native Americans. Native Americans were more of medicine men rather than shamans. Traditional shamans go back thousands of years before Native Americans. And uhhh what? You need to brush up on what you think an EQ shaman is.
  5. Poote Lorekeeper

Let the flow. All you hating on wood elf beastlords are just jealous we have bigger wood than you do. And, the Frog Monk is funny as hell. Where else can you flipper slap kick things in the face.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  6. Pawtato Augur

Agreed Dark Elves should be able to roll Shaman, as well.
  7. Xerzist Augur

Thank you for blowing my mind with logicsauce.
    Boze likes this.
  8. Ninelder Augur

In every religion in the world except among the Celtic Druids and Native American religions the wolf is an agent of the devil or chaos or evil. The ghost wolf you pointed out only refers to Native American tribes, specifically the Choctaw. Animal spirit guides are also Native American. The last wolf pack in Yellowstone was literally called The Druid Wolf Pack. Wow.
    Xerzist likes this.
  9. Mizterio New Member

DE are Hateful beings banjos supposed to be happy thing. Now that said why don't the let them play the violin and torture everyone.
  10. Naturalist Lorekeeper

So you're really trying to say Native American "medicine men" as you put it, were not spiritual and don't qualify as a Shaman? You couldn't be more wrong, and I think it is you that needs to brush up.
  11. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

We already have two beastlords with wolf pets and really only the Barbarian one fits. How they came up with the Iskar scaled wolf to me is just silly and seemed like it was more an easy addition, opposed to a serious one. Some kind of lizard pet would of been better fitting, but they gave the alligator to the Trolls. Maybe a polar bear for a Barbarian, but they gave the bear to the Ogre. I think the Treant fit for the Wood Elf, but the trainer being on the ground and not even highlighted on the map, plus no actual newbie beastlord quests in the area is no good.

If it is true they cannot add any classes, how would taking away some of the least played/favored races/classes do? I don't think in a million years I will ever play a Froglik or a dragon man. Two races I would surely jetson out the air lock if we were in outerspace.

As far as classes are concerned, that I am not so sure of. I think they are all pretty well loved in some form or fashion or need for game play purposes, more so than the last two races. But how truly different is a Berserker compared to the other warrior classes?
  12. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

I always thought the shamans of EQ, at least on the evil side, were more voodoo than anything else. And you do NOT even want to know what alchemists put in their potions... that yellow fluid was not liquid gold I can tell you that... :eek:

I would venture to say Native American medicine men were a combination of spiritualists and shamans, but not voodoo.
  13. Yimin Augur

Berzerker is DPS not a Tank class

YiMin
  14. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

But wasn't that above their station though? That is why they were Clerics, while the less intelligent races of evil were the Shamans. It made for an interesting world if you played on the Good vs Evil game rules I am sure. Options were limited, but doable. And the races each had perks back in Classic, more so than now and before AA points were even a thing or super duper equipment and trinkets. Back then what you picked really did matter.

To off set the best buffs in the game, the Barbarians could also be a Shaman and per my Kunark guide book, they had the highest wisdom for it, they also came with slam and had favorable factions, but they were as blind as a bat. ^^! But I am sure there was a low level spell that would easily fix that. Or you could just murder innocent wisps... Those poor soft cute glowing cooing innocent little creatures that did nothing, but mind their own business and merrily roam the country side... reminds me of those cute tribbles from Star Trek... ^^!
  15. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Would a melee class been a better description then a (not the) warrior class? Basically a hybrid right?
  16. Ninelder Augur

From all apparent aspects Native American "shaman" were druids by EQ standards. Right down to the leather. Of course nothing from any history or fantasy novel I know of puts any version of a shaman in chain mail either, not sure what fallacy they used to justify that.
  17. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Some times EQ likes to blaze it's own trail. ^^! What would stop a shaman from using chainmail though? Native Americans did not have chain mail or much metal to begin with, if at all back in the day. Voodoo cults did not have chain mail available to them either that I am aware of. Leather was much more available to those back in the day. I am sure they used the chain mail argument because Clerics got the really good armour, Shamans needed something, although not as great, but better than just leather. Buffs alone are good, but not that good. Also EQ is high fantasy, so it does not have to be accurate. ^^!
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I personally would have thought Skins/Furs were more suited to Shaman if they were more "animalistic" Priests but that's arguably too close to leather so giving Shamans the chain armour was probably done that way because Clerics in D&D were always plate wearers, Druids were Leather & they wanted the Shaman to be distinct in gear from those other two classes.

They could have opted for cloth but cloth gear is what they decided the casters were going to be wearing.

They probably made similar decisions when picking out armours for Berserkers, in the Norse Legends about Berserkers they typically fought naked or wore skins of animals, and were very closely associated to Bears in their nature, some were said to have worn bear skins into battle to advertise their ferocity & the brutal, bestial nature of their rage. But since Monks and Beastlords were leather wearers they picked giving them chain instead.
  19. Questoften32 Augur

So the real deal.
  20. Iven Antonius Bayle

I would like to see a revamped treant model. For the House of Thule expansion the current treant model is ok tho but it does not really fit to the Greater Faydark. The solution for the pet choice is to create more summon pet spells or that the beastlord has to do a quest where he would pick a pet from two or three choices. Pets should fit to the class themes and their starting areas as it is now. It could be like the magician class who could summon different pets with different abilities. To keep it simple the beastlord does not require to have a caster pet but offensive and defensive melee pets. The defensive pet would be a warrior with the stun/slam ability (like air pet), while the offensive pet would be a rogue (like water pet). It took me some time to figure out the best and most logical pet combos for each beastlord race but here they are:

Wood Elf
    Offensive: Black wolf (with yellow eyes)
    Defensive: Treant

Vah Shir
    Offensive: Tiger
    Defensive: Rhinobeetle (or Owlbear)

Barbar
    Offensive: White wolf
    Defensive: Mammoth calf

Ogre
    Offensive: Jungle spider (yellow)
    Defensive: Marsh bear

Troll
    Offensive: Kobold
    Defensive: Basilisk (Alligator would be better tho)

Iksar
    Offensive: Scorpion
    Defensive: Scaled wolf

The current pets (graphics) do remain and I did focus on attractive looking pets. So nobody has to fear that his beloved pet would be removed. And well, wolves and tigers could backstab with their big fangs and spiders also have fangs and legs to backstab with.