Mage Pets Are Tanking ToV Raid Mobs.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Talendor, May 4, 2020.

1. GNOME_POWER Augur

First, we should make sure that the pc-tank has not changed to the Earth Elemental form.
    I am waiting for the follow-up from op.
    Yinla and Igniz like this.
  2. Igniz Augur

"Magepets show up in /who now! THIS IS HAPPENING! Nurrrrrrrrrrf them!" ?
    Tolzol likes this.
  3. Marope Lorekeeper

NOOB Poster!!! Bahahaha
  4. Repthor Augur

Clearly this is fake news. The mage has to not be afk to unsuspend his pet for it to tank
    Axxius likes this.
  5. feeltheburn Augur

OH look another useful post by a fool... I mean new member
  6. kizant Augur

In the future, if you're going to make a new account to post things like this, please don't use a name of one my favorite dragons. Thanks.
  7. Tucoh Augur

I've always thought that every couple expansions there should be a raid mob that needs pet tanking through some mechanism.
    Vumad likes this.
  8. Idget Lorekeeper

I saw one tank a Boss, for like 10 seconds. So ya I guess they can tank Boss fights.
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

Don't make isolated incidents with the random number generator sound like the norm. The right combination of max hits, quads and strike through can 1-round anything. Just as an under geared caster can survive the right combination of minimum hits and dodges. It's luck. I have lost Risk due to bad rolls but I'm not writing Hasbro to tell them their board game is broken. Well geared tanks are not regularly getting 1-rounded. Mage pets can occasionally grab aggro and survive a few rounds, but they are not out performing real tanks in any meaningful way. I wasn't around for it (I think TDS?) but the ENC I know thought it was cool some event they had to rune tank.
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

That's kind of a cool idea. I wonder how it would work. AEs when the boss isn't on a pet? Also maybe a boss that doesn't hit as hard but ignores all war/pal/sk (which would include mage war pets) forcing classes like rangers to tank.
    Tucoh likes this.
  11. Tucoh Augur

Would probably have to be something hardcoded to ignore or deal bane damage to players.
  12. Tevik Augur

Sanctum Somnium raid 6, in the cages, needed silk classes to tank, didn't it?
  13. 666DPSweDeliver Augur

Your central point is sound, but to clarify one of your statements: Unless we have raid mobs in ToV who aren't flagged as raid, a pet cannot actually take aggro from any PC. No matter how much hate they generate, as long as a single PC is in melee range and on aggro, the raid mob is coded to ignore the pet and go after the PC. Most of us melee DPS have lived thru this when a mage leaves pet taunt on, tank tries to reposition the mob, backs out of melee range, and the mob turns on us.

In theory, as long as you have enough hp to not be one rounded (Im still getting 1 rounded at 450k hp as a non-tank), anyone can tank … based on the duration of the ToV events, the odds of a pet going that long without being 1 round has to be atomically small.
  14. Tyru-Khaan New Member

Usually when big fancy guilds put things on farm mode, they will start doing fun things like letting the wizard tank....Beastlord Pet tank with only beastlord heals... etc. This is what makes it so much fun... People get too bent out of shape because Gobeker is getting all the glory. He NEEDS GLORY
    Newb Tank likes this.
  15. Whulfgar Augur

Omans of war.. MPG raid trials.. (progression raids enrout to citidale of anguish) had a raid that had silk classes tanking certain mob types .. an chain classes .. and leather classes..

Was one of the best raids ive ever raided as far as fun goes..
  16. Raccoo Augur

Drusella's Vault priests/casters tanked skulls.