Why do DDs break root?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Fudly, May 1, 2020.

1. Fudly Elder

Is there some balance reason for it?

Even if DDs didn't break root, root rotting would still be superior (because it's more efficient), and that works fine for druids/necros.

Wizards aren't loved in groups on early TLPs. There are only a couple decent quad kiting locations, and they're not in zones with multiple picks. Allowing them to root and nuke would give them more options. I don't see why it doesn't work.
  2. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

Heck they made arrows break root now
  3. Fudly Elder

Ranger arrows sound more like a legit balance issue. Rangers do ridiculous ranged sustained DPS at no cost, so they can shoot indefinitely with how little root costs. Most DDs cost mana so don't have that issue.
  4. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

Mana casters do more DPS and have more mana regen. Some caster classes hardly run out of mana. Arrow DPS is cut in half on a rooted mob and arrows alone are not great DPS except for 2 minutes using "pureshot". But still no where near a full burn dot class vs bow DPS. There is Headshot, but its nerfed so much, that no point in counting on it. If nukes dont break root then why should arrows and ranged procs?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. Anduven Journeyman

Root disables the double damage archery bonus rangers get when shooting non-moving targets. So not really.
  6. Khrizen New Member

Not sure I see the original reason for DD breaking root so far, it's so that it isn't so easy to kill a rooted mob plain and simple. Root + nuke is nice.. Root+snare and then nuke is very nice, still doesn't mean you should be able to kill a monster with no risk.
  7. Magickon Augur

The only thing I would say that is zero risk about killing with roots are the aa roots. Before they existed, root killing always had the risk of the root wearing off early. With the aa roots, you might as well root even more mobs than you were before.
  8. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Nukes can break root, because root'n'nuke was and still is a way too powerful ability without that. The range of Nukes makes it simple enough for casters to reroot mobs before they become an issue even if it wears off early or the mob passes the break or resist check.
  9. Fudly Elder

Why is root and nuke too powerful when root rotting is acceptable?
    Are there mobs that could be root and nuked that can't be root rotted now?
    kizant likes this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The devs decided that was how it works.

There are aa that make root stronger vs nukes, thing is sooner or later you will need to break a root & a dd nuke is the safest way to do that.

Root rotting takes a lot longer to do than nuke rooting would so part of the reason is simply time to kill.
  11. HoodenShuklak Augur

dots used to be incredibly weaker than they are today. Root rotting was not fast and often involved meddling while fighting. So there had to be some tradeoff here with nukes. It went faster but it was riskier on the root.

(Today the idea of solo play is so vastly different because player power creep.)
    Skuz likes this.
  12. kizant Augur

Root rotting no longer makes sense in the current game. Especially once the necro DoT revamp is done. Hopefully, they'll consider removing it.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I sometimes do root-nuking on my wizard, but I make sure to have my runes up when I do. :)

I often take a few hits in the process.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

If a mage pet is tanking with a ranger doing the DPS is the ranger DPS is cut in half?
  15. Xenze Elder

If the per procs its root and it holds, yes a Rangers double bow bonus will be removed.

Take a Wizards strongest Nuke...how long does it take deal the full damage? The duration of the cast
    Take a Necros strongest DoT...how long does it take to deal the full damage? And how many casts would it take to equal that Wizards single nuke?

DDs damage is all front loaded. Right then and there. Mobs would be dying at an alarming rate. And there’s be no fear of death. Granted, root-rotting the chances of dying are slim to none, but the pay off is the time it takes for said mob to die now. Root and Nuke would be fast kills, and low risks. It’d be like an “I win” button. Root rotting is low risk, but a higher duration/mana cost.
    Duder and Skuz like this.
  16. Fudly Elder

The speed argument doesn't make sense to me. Yeah, a wizard could root and nuke one mob to death quickly, but the necro could root rot 5 mobs before the wizard can root kill 5. Efficiency > burst DPS for exp per hour.
  17. Fluid Augur

DB/DP seem to still be promoting team play or at least interdependence. As a corollary, slow leveling for solo play, faster for team play.

The hottest ticket and the way it works now is as an example a Druid with an Enchanter. The Enchanter tashes the MOB, the Druid's root sticks like glue. The Enchanter casts Breeze or Clarity or KEI depending on level and maybe something like Intellectual Advancement on the Druid so faster manna regeneration + fewer fizzles. If the Enchanter tried to help with the DOTs, they break root and everyone has to scramble. Understand the Enchanter has a lot more utility, it's just experience rate gain is throttled.

I've found it works this way for a lot of 'systems' in EQ. For instance, a Ranger has some pretty weak spells compared to a Druid, but an Enchanter putting slows + tash on a MOB and haste + Clarity on a Ranger reduces down time and effectiveness.

I go to extremes to get my Druids to solo effectively. They wear every focus item available from faster casting to extended range to enhanced damage et al. If I have a pocket Enchanter along, not so much.

Hands down, I find Necromancers to be a better DOT class then a Druid for DPS. Thing is, Necromancers are slow and squishy. Pair them up with a Druid using snares and SoW, and the Necromancer is a world beater. It is by design.

I often say the thing I enjoy most about grouping is seeing someone else running a character really well. I just had that experience again on Mangler. I paired my Magician with an Enchanter it made for a fun evening of MOB massacre. I don't think we were fully optimized, just with the Enchanter being a manna pump and slowing the MOBs, my pet did fine tanking and I had plenty of manna for burns.
    Skuz likes this.
  18. Vumad Cape Wearer

Thanks for the info. I main ENC and box cleric, recently added a mage. Ranger is my Alt on my main account and was hoping to find some time to play him soon. I would have been frustrated by his poor DPS with the earth pet and not known why. Now I know when I get there to use the air pet.
    Xenze and Skuz like this.
  19. Xenze Elder

Wizard Roots 5 mobs, 3x Nuke per mob = 20 casts for 5 mobs. Roughly 1 minute, minute 15? Rinse and repeat.

Necro roots 5 mobs, casts 4-5 DoTs per mob = 25-30 casts for 5 mobs. 1.5-2 minutes? Longer if DoTs don’t kill them off and need refreshed. Or longer anyway depending on duration of DoTs. Rinse and repeat.

Wizard is faster and more efficient assuming DDs not breaking roots. Start the Wizard and Necro off at the same time. Wizard will have 2 dead before the Necro kills his first. It’s fewer casts which means faster kills which is more efficient is it not? Have a Druid/ranger AoE root a pack of 10 mobs. Damage doesn’t break Root, who’ll kill all 10 first?
  20. Fudly Elder

Are you completely ignoring mana or does mana become irrelevant later in the game? Wizard is gonna kill 1-2 mobs and then be oom for 10 minutes (assuming he has clarity). Necromancer is gonna kill stuff endlessly.