Infuriating problem

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Xtor Zadamose, May 1, 2020.

1. Xtor Zadamose Journeyman

I have been playing Everquest on and off for over 20 years. Sometimes i will log onto a character and all the UI stuff is moved and in different spots and chat boxes/hotbars are missing. This doesn't happen all the time but sometimes it does happen after a patch. I thought the solution to this would be to save the "eqclient.ini" "UI_character_server.ini" "character_server.ini" type files in a separate folder and copy/paste them after a patch when i experience the issue.

Tried this recently and it did not work. It will happen to 1 or 2 characters on an account and the other ones will be fine. I want to play and enjoy Everquest. When this happens i feel like just quitting and going onto other games, thus the on and off part. This doesn't happen to me in any other mmo i have ever played.

What am i doing wrong and how do i fix it to a previous version? If i can't change it back that is fine as long as i can get a solution so when it happens again i will be able to copy/paste the correct files to fix it. EDIT: Once i did the copy/paste of those files i still needed to log into the character and under general options click on copy layout and choose that character. That seems to work but how do i prevent everything from messing up in the first place?
  2. SunDrake Augur

This is just one suggestion, but make the changes you'd like to see to your UI. Then fully log out. Don't use /q or the fast camp option.

Also, do you ever log in using different window modes? I know if I accidentally log in full screen things are moved slightly, as my windows are set for windowed mode.
    Xenze likes this.
  3. Xenze Elder

Are you using a custom UI by chance?
    When you log into other said characters, is it on the same account or are you boxing? Check your display and see if that character/account is running full screen or windowed mode. Swapping from one to the other will FUBAR everything

Sorry I can’t be of more help, but I’ve never had an issue with my UI getting messed up. Only time I have to worry about it is if I uninstall and reinstall EQ or make a new character. And even then, all my toons run the same layout, so it’s as easy as copying a layout from another toon
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Is that with the default UI, or a custom one?

The only time I had that happen with the default UI, was when I changed window-size/resolution. Patching treats default UI-files fine.

With custom UI's you are on your own, and have to maintain yourself.

Alternatively you can check if your UI-files are "write-protected" ? default files should not be "write-protetcted".
    Metanis likes this.
  5. Xtor Zadamose Journeyman

Container position is still wrong even after using the copy layout option. I don't use any custom ui stuff. I do box multiple characters using wineq2.0. Though the problem doesn't occur on every character in an account. Sometimes just 1 character. Whenever i log into characters the ui size should be the same on every account and character. Oddly in the game configuration window at the patcher i have it set at 640x480 and the highest setting is 1600x1200. In game though i have it set to 1980x1080.

I am not sure about the write protected stuff. I am kinda bad at cpu file stuff like that. Under Authenticated Users, SYSTEM and Administrators, Write has a check under the Allow category. The 4th category of Users doesn't have the check on the allow category for Write.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Container positions are never copied correctly. You just have to deal with it.

Also, button size on hotbars never copy correctly, either.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

The game configuration in the patcher is kinda ancient(it predates widescreens) just ignore that.

Regarding write-protection, i meant like this: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001615.htm
    I just forgot it was called "read-only", :oops: i don't have an english win10 myself.

I don't know how wineq2.0 works though... Maybe someone else know more about that?
  8. Xtor Zadamose Journeyman

None of the files had a check mark on read only. I would try the copy layout of another character at times but all those hotbars lose the skills/aa stuff i had them in and the order i had them in. I can't remember where i had them placed for each character so it's a real pain. Some classes have the same abilities but they are given different names too which doesn't help. It really messes with my muscle memory. Like thinking i had my wizards evac in a certain spot but it's not there. By the time i find it my box group is dead. lol
  9. Zinth Augur

also if you resize the window stuff will move around because EQ UI is not very smart
  10. Xtor Zadamose Journeyman

Thanks everyone for the help. I will be sure to avoid changing the resolution. Hopefully i can avoid this situation from happening again.
  11. Duder Augur

Making your UI changes and zoning multiple times and then /camping (as said, no fast camp, no /q) will save the files. Make habit of backing up the characters UI files and eqclient.ini. Make sure you are not logged into eq when you back them up and make sure you aren't loaded in eq when you replace them. Changing full screen mode via alt+enter can mess with their placement, make sure all your characters are running the same config(windowed or fullscreen mode, doesn't matter in wineq, itll still be in a window) before making adjustments and before backing up ui files. Make sure theyre all running the same resolution, (typically natural desktop resolution or close to it, wineq sometimes reduces height by a small amount of pixels). Again, after making changes always zone a few times and camp out completely. If you are thorough in your setup and backup you will very very rarely ever encounter issues again and if and when you do you will have your backup files, I back up UI files about once a month. I understand where you are coming from with the frustration. UI issues are devastating to gameplay. It takes a lot of time and effort to tweak our UIs to what works for us.
    Metanis likes this.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Incorrect.

EQ stores a UI layout file for every resolution (and windowed or not), so when you change it, it's now using a different layout profile. Move everything once, how you like it, and then you don't ever have to do it again.
  13. svann Augur

This I suspect, though have no experience with it.
  14. Zinth Augur

yeah you will learn otherwise if you try so in windows mode to drag the edges a bit some day
  15. Duder Augur

Don't use copy layout. If you are arranging it on one character and want the layout exactly the same on another you will need to do the instructions I gave to start. Then once you have done that for the character whos layout you want copied you will make a copy of that UI file. Then replace that characters name in the file with the next characters name. Example: UI_Duderx_bristle.ini copied to my desktop, rename to UI_Dooder_bristle.ini, drop it into the eq folder replacing the existing UI_Dooder_bristle.ini file.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

BS.

Done it tons of times.