Issue with 34inc Ultrawide monitor, Fish eye effect.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Aussieguy, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Aussieguy Lorekeeper

Hi,

I need some help here.. This monitor is really making EQ unplayable. I have tried all video modes and what not, still no solution for this fish eye effect. Also UI is very small and hard to see.
    How can I adjust FoV to eliminate fish eye effect?
    Any Custom UI out there that could adjust the size of the whole UI?

Can barely see my health/group member names etc.

Appreciate any guidance!
  2. Duder Augur

What resolution? To make windows, buttons, and everything bigger play in a lower resolution.
  3. Aussieguy Lorekeeper

3440x1440. I don't know, seems like nothing is working.
  4. Duder Augur

The fisheye thing is normal in eq for all ultrawide monitors, the effect is amplified the wider your screen gets. As for the small buttons try and get it down to 1080ish on the height. Im not sure reducing the width to lower reso will lessen the fisheye stuff. =/
  5. Aussieguy Lorekeeper

Well this sucks. How are people with these type of monitors suppose to play? No update no patch or anything for this?

What about a custom UI to enlarge buttons/icons etc?
  6. Duder Augur

Some custom UIs could make the stuff bigger, but I don't think they can make the text bigger on those buttons/windows. So id still advise finding a lower resolution ingame if you want the buttons and windows to get bigger.
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

I also have a 3440x1440 34". You have to play in window mode. Alt + Enter I think it is. Size it to 16:9 and leave the sides not used. Resizing the window can cause the game to bug but once you have it set it will stay that way when you launch it.

There is an option that IS for BOXing that will let you layout windows in a specific format. Setup an area of the screen in the layout that is the correct pixel size (2560x1440) and the program will force EQ into the space. EQ thinks its running in full screen at the selected resolution so it doesn't bug. If you box, you can setup smaller windows on the sides (4 each side works well) and it will auto switch the main window, and use that extra side space (you dont need 8 EQ running obviously) for GINA overlays, GamParse, etc.

It would be pretty great if EQ was modified to support ultrawide. WoW looks great on my monitor at 3440x1440.
    dreadlord likes this.
  8. Pumpernickel Lorekeeper

Just choose a full screen resolution that isn't 3440 x 1440?
  9. Wyndar Journeyman

Ttry using the /viewport command to create a view port that's closer to 4:3.. Take all your UI windows and put them on the black space
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea when I got this laptop and I tried to play on 4k res everything was so small and couldn't even read anything like super small. But I put my resolution down to 1080p and use chatfont size and everything is now playable but I know the feeling with everything being way to small.

Andarriel
  11. Tucoh Augur

This is the way.
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

This sounds interesting. Is there someway I can set EQ to 16:9 and move my UI off into the rest of the 21:9 space?
  13. Strawberry Augur

Those ultrawide monitors present a problem for developers in many games.

Option 1: They simply stretch the image out, but you then get a distorted image just like an anamorphic lens does. Some people don't mind a distorted image, but some do.

Option 2 (this is what EQ does): They actually give people a wider field of view by simply rendering the game with a wider viewing frustum. But in competitive games, you end up with a situation where the player with the ultrawide monitor has the other enemy player in view several seconds before anyone else, this creates an unfair advantage.

Secondly, this also gives a distorted image, but due to a different reason, namely perspective distortion. The fisheye effect the OP mentions, due to foreground compression. The background is actually kicked back, so the perspective makes it seems that object on the side of the view move past you at abnormal speeds.

There is no good solution. Both of these options create a form of distortion.
  14. Laronk Augur

you can go /viewport and change that a bit, what I actually do is play with eq on 2/3 of the screen in windowed mode and used the other 1/3 for what ever guide, youtube video, discord or what ever