Given free2play numbers must be good...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Starshape, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Starshape Elder

The fact Mangler filled up over Easter could point towards better than expected player numbers from allowing free2play players onto TLPs.

Given this is the peak stay-at-home time, any chance we can get a new server now (copy/paste of Mangler's ruleset) in addition to the fancy new servers with their unique rulesets in summer? :)
  2. Beep Elder

Nah I'm pretty sure less people played when you removed the cost of entry bro.
  3. wade_watts Augur

I've been playing a new char on Mangler since its F2P. I'm excited to re-sub once they get a new server out.
  4. wade_watts Augur

Also.. I'm pretty certain there is more going on then DPG is letting on. A new TLP, while not trivial, shouldn't require mountains to move in order to spin up. I'd be willing to bet that they either lost talent / resources during the transition and are trying to figure out how to re-launch, or perhaps they are waiting on new hardware to arrive since supply chain for compute hardware has been decimated by COVID.

Companies are going through extraordinary steps to adjust their business models during this time and I'd have to imagine DPG would be cashing in and better serving their customers if they had the ability to get the TLP's rocking. I'm sure they are likely really wanting the influx a new TLP brings, but they just gotta figure out how to make it happen.
  5. Creedmonk Augur

Couldn't agree with this more, it's what I was thinking too.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You are reaching .

Darkpaw have very clearly stated that they are doing something different for Aradune & Rizlona, the rulesets & additional features that they want to roll out with this new "model" for TLP going forwards requires some additional coding & is the reason why they have delayed the launch of teh TLP this year so that those features can be rolled out with their launch.

They could have just put out a carbon copy of Mangler & on one not used Truebox but the community that plays even when there isn't a global pandemic wanted something new & something new is what Darkpaw is working on,

There's no conspiracy here.
  7. wade_watts Augur

I'm not painting a picture of some clandestine operation they have going on, just that they are likely more limited and not just waiting by choice.

If they are, as you say, waiting only for the sake of figuring out new rulesets, then they are simply making really terrible business decisions and not capitalizing on an unforeseen market opportunity.
    Creedmonk likes this.
  8. Rcbauer Augur

Likely they did the F2P to get people boxing on Mangler. Lots are farming krono right now and likely using macaroni and other no no's. Perhaps they're testing their anti-cheat software before releasing the new TLPs.
  9. Creedmonk Augur

[IMG]
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They have also stated that server merges are in progress and will happen before the new TLP servers so I am guessing part of what they need to do is free up some hardware.
  11. Sikkun Augur

An online video game isn’t a retail store that had to dramatically change anything they are doing to adjust. They MIGHT be seeing a bump in sales (it’s still a 21 year old game with limited interest). The bigger bumps in sales are going to be for newer games that all the school kids/college kids that are at home and you know.....not still working. The adults that are at home and not working....EQ isn’t a priority.

So they throw up some new bags and potion sales...no reason to rush your TLP plans because the same people that where going to play anyway keep making new threads about how they are at home.
  12. Beep Elder

Back in my day we worked in the coal mines after school each day and that was just elementary school!!!
  13. jeskola pheerie

A lot of the additional population were people's boxes.

What he said, and here is an update from Friday.

[IMG]
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They also posted that server merges are coming. Considering that they are merging progression servers before creating new ones it would be an easy thing to link together.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...lebration-happy-21-years-of-everquest.264000/

15. HoodenShuklak Augur

Plus we didnt have click from bags.

Kids today dont know how good they have it.
  16. Machen New Member

The goal isn't to have a lot of players. The goal is to make money. None of the players currently taking advantage of free to play on the TLP's are spending any money.