Sooo... where's the swamp?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by SmoochyOfWolfington, Apr 13, 2020.

1. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

So I picked a Troll Shadow Knight, a race and class I have always wanted to play. But I am stuck at Crescent Reach or some other human/neutral town that is all hugs and kisses, sunshine and rainbows and puppies and kittens... From my remembering descriptions of the Trolls starting city/village, it was an ugly and unforgiving swamp, a very harsh environment which made them tougher for the outside world. I chose the only option their was for the Troll. I even tried again to see if I had missed it, but it is the only option minus the Tutorial. But where is the swamp!? I want to be with my own kind! I yearn for it!!! :(
    Herf likes this.
  2. code-zero Augur

Go to the Moors then go to PoK then find the Grob stone and bamm! you're there.

BTW if you think that CR is all hugs and kisses why don't you take a stroll over to the farm and say hi to the undead ogres....
  3. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

I guess another question is... why was I transported there instead of the swamp which is the proper starting city, is it not?
  4. code-zero Augur

two reasons

1:your account is free to play
    2: CR is a much superior starting zone to any other in the game. It really is that much better.

The swamp was the reason that old school trolls all headed up to freeport and got a bind
    Annastasya and Barraind like this.
  5. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

If your account isnt silver+, you're forced into CR.

That said, the only zone I start in that isnt CR is gukta, and thats just because its ~10 feet and 0 zone lines from the pok book, so bazaar mules get there a lot faster.
    code-zero likes this.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

If none of that was clear - if you make an account and subscribe right away and then go to character creation screen and look on the right side you will have the option to select your starting city. Just toggle off Cresent Reach -like you can toggle off the Tutorial there also.

Cresent Reach is the default city put in the game when Free to Play came out and to make it easier for young adventures to get started with easy quests specifically since the old starting cities are more like ghost towns. So all free accounts start in Cresent Reach.

Some Silver accounts start there too since there was a system bug when they made Silver accounts able to be reactivated as free also. But there was a one time command /setstartcity that Silver accounts could reset. Rumor has it that the command no longer works.
    Annastasya likes this.
  7. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

But... that... was... Everquest.... :(

Like right away because there is a time limit or just do it before you make your character? And how does one subscribe? You mean to the newsletter or actually buy into the game? I am at the www.everquest.com/home page and I do not see a subscribe button even going through the tabs. I see the sign up for the news letter and you can unsubscribe at any time area down at the bottom.
  8. Grombo New Member

Welcome Troll!
    You're alright! Leave that lousy CR behind you and get a bind at Grobb. The froglok tads and spiders will welcome you :)
    Don't forget to turn new character models off.
    Grove likes this.
  9. Yara_AB Augur

10. Flatchy Court Jester

Yes you have chosen wisely. Troll is awesome! Sk superior! Been on Flatchy non stop since 2004 and I have about 13 top level characters, but Flatchy is still my favorite to play. Back when I started us Trolls were refugees stuck in Neriak. I still have nightmares of them nasty Hobbits killing lil Flatchy in Nektulos forest. Enjoy your ride!
    Zapford and Grove like this.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The account has to be all access before you create the character in order to have the starting city option.

You cannot go backwards - like you cannot make your account all access now and get a starting city for the character you already made.

But it will work for any new character you make.

On all the pages people have linked is a big orange button in the upper right that says "Play Free" and right above that in smaller print it says "get All Access" - also in orange.
  12. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

I have noticed a mix of old and new character models. Obviously back in the day it was just the one. Then they began adding new or at least better looking ones. Now they have both at the same time which is odd, yet satisfying because it still gives the charm and can be quite comical, but also creates a feel of more player models out there. I will say and I am not going to lie, back in the day when the newer models came out, I'd only make my particular race have it for both male and female, since I was basically always seeing them around and then all females from all the "pretty races" with it too, so I could save on performance. ^^!
  13. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

So it's the paid option then. Fair enough, although I'd assume start in the harder area for not paying. ^^! Regardless I cheated and used the book to get to Groob and have since made them off limits. I spent a few hours trying to get there on foot at level 1 (maybe level 2, you gain so much exp from just talking to NPCs now I can not remember.) from Crescent Reach and even with being careful, it was not working out for me and rightly so.
    I did notice a lot of the mobs at CR though, when first getting out to the field, do not attack you on site and thus the guards there are not as much needed as they once were, at least in the old starter cities back in the day anyway. Didn't Classic have almost everything try and kill you as you ventured forth from the protection of your city walls? And weren't there piles of dead creatures at the guards feet all the time? Did PETA protest or something? :D
    Also I've noticed they put a very too helpful map for you. One that you do not even need to be in an area to get some details on. And to top it off not only a compass at the top, but also a helpful guiding trail that hand walks you to your destination... Is the command (What is/was it) that had you "guessing" which direction you were facing still in the game some where? Also is the dropping of the sword or piece of metal on the ground still always pointing northward? I do not have a sword to check this at the moment.
  14. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

If you want, you can select which type of models are used for each race. You must be completely logged out of the game, then on the bottom left of the launcher click Advanced Tools > Game Configuration > Next and you'll get this list to select which new models you want to use:
    [IMG]
  15. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

There's always been a mix of some KOS and some non-KOS mobs in newbie areas. Usually things like snakes and fire beetles won't attack, but orcs and skeletons will, etc. There are not piles of mobs at guards because there are not piles of newbies anymore. All servers are top heavy. The only exception to this is a fresh TLP server.
    Sense Heading is still a skill in game, but it serves no purpose since there is a built in compass. Dropping a sword still points north, but again serves no purpose for the same reason.
  16. Grove Augur

And after the fact, I am amused at the game response to request to locate yourself. It was something like "You think you are facing North." Not: North. Not: You are facing North. But THINK. It was very perplexing and frustrating at the time. Especially so since the only maps were the big cloth map that came in the box and later maps drawn by players which I printed on paper (and still have). Locating oneself was a skill that required training. And furthermore, my Wood Elves found Greater Faydark so dark that they ran into trees.
  17. Manafasto Augur

I started a Gnome SK on Mangler I was having fun lastnight but I am pretty naked. I am also not a fan of the advance loot =(. I tried to turn it off.
  18. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Did you get it turned off? Just /advloot will toggle between on and off and I am pretty sure there is an option under character -actions or somewhere under the EQ button on the screen.

But it does come in very handy when a mobs dies under the water or in a hard to target area, under the zone line etc. So you might want to turn it on then. Some guy did a video to help returning players figure it out if your interested:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/advanced-loot-system-guide-walkthrough.240437/
  19. Velicenda New Member

I would highly recommend getting accustomed to the advanced looting system. It's -so- nice. I hated it at first and even played the oldschool way for a while, but not having to run up to every single corpse individually is a blessing.

The thing that annoyed me most, that I didn't realize until after I played around with it, is that the window only pops up if you have new items that need selections made (AN - Always Need, AG - Always Greed, Never, Need, Greed, No). If you have the checkboxes done on an item, you'll never have to mess with that item again no matter what zone you're in
  20. Jordis Augur

If you have a free account you automatically start at Crescent Reach regardless of the race. That's not entirely bad thing, Serpent Spine is a good expansion for leveling and experiencing.

If you have an All-Access account you have a choice of your starting home town and deity. If you're not very far into you character you could re-roll and make sure you choose Grobb. If you want the original Grobb experience subscribe for a month and make your character, then let it expire for free play.