Thank you DW, but that Discord AMA was (is) a mess....

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Chikkin, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Chikkin Augur

Not sure what I was expecting. So maybe it's me, not anything on you guys.

But really, a spam of TLP every question?

Perhaps it'll look better when you post the transcript, but man, the Discord started at 430pm Central, and I'm sitting here wondering where the real meat was?

Why AMA if not answer the tough questions? Again, I love you guys, but I'm sitting here, at age 40, thinking I should have just read the rerun in the morning.

I see this as feedback, although it sounds critical. I do admire you guys, just .. frustrated. Maybe was expecting too much, not sure. Thank you devs for answering. Thank you DW for setting it up.

I was always told you bring solutions, not problems, but I'm not sure yet how to make it better.

Edit: thank you for passing along my positive message to JChan, you, and Absor.
    jeskola likes this.
  2. Ravanta Suffer Augur

The questions were collected in advance (from the community) and pooled in advance by Dreamweaver. There's a few of the responses that were obviously planned, and planned carefully, in advance.

Making your observation spot on...there's really no point in watching it live.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I thought the AMA was great for the most part. (Some of the TLP were on the vocal side). Thanks for Dreamweaver and the team for putting it together.

There were some key confirmations (but less pertinent to the TLP crowd):
    • SK/Necro DoT revamps incoming (SK next patch, necro thereafter).
    • Overseer road map (Lower currency costs INC, limited rewards)
    • Experience model (ToV XP model likely to be continued).
    • No changes to raid reward system (currency vs chase).
    • Little to no chance of Free Trade/PvP TLP
    • No new engine.
    • No new class/race combos.
    • Heroic Chracters to get a boost but no timetable.
    • ToV T2 gets same ZEM XP. (Named gets 3-4 multiplier).
    • Past expansion collector/premium editions items to go in marketplace.
    • No expansion pre-release content (one-off events is not ideal).
    • No new tutorial system (due to resource cost).
    • Server merges incoming
    • No Ultron Ultimate Unattuner in marketplace.
    • No increase to loyalty point cap but new items to add will get looked at.
    • No new player-made items for marketplace but naming rights possible.
    • No tunic graphics for casters.
    • Team tries their best to systematically address bugs and code issues.
    One of the questions opened another question: Fragments of Alaran History will not drop for anyone level 115; this begs the question on obtainability.

And, it sounds like TBL Part 2 may be in the works for the near future (it received less of a denial than Drinal-themed expansion). :)

Edit: Read the Discord AMA for full context (i.e. reasoning for some decisions).
  4. dreamweaver Community Manager

I am sorry you weren't happy with how it went Chikkin. This format was more of an experiment, of which there will be others. If this one didn't work out the way you were personally hoping, I hope the next one will.

Also it's good to keep in mind that even if a question is asked it isn't always going to get answered. That is the nature of things, fortunately or unfortunately.
    Chikkin, Skuz, eepok and 2 others like this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I found it interesting, it was only an hour, so they couldn't answer every question, it was a nice mix of topics. There was hints of another soon, unless I am reading into things too much. :)

Velks maybe lower exp as I think more of the NPCS are blue, but I'm not sure.
  6. dreamweaver Community Manager

I'd like to develop some sort of cadence with them as the devs get more comfortable and I have a few other formats and ideas I'd like them to try as well.

EDIT: Also, yeah trust me we got through maybe a third of the questions and I can only take so much time out of their days, I am working on finding other ways to do this as well since the whole runtime was about an hour and half.
  7. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

It was fun to see some questions with actual typing of answers and others would get a multiple paragraph response within 3 or 4 seconds of being asked.

If they're going to have canned responses to questions they know are coming, why not just save everyone the spam of TLP everywhere and send a questionnaire out for them to fill out at their leisure.

There were a few questions where the answers made no sense in the context of the question and the only real way to represent that is the thinking emoji reaction. (When you say overseer isnt a catch-up mechanic in one question, why is the answer several questions later "that doesnt make much sense since overseer is a catchup mechanic". Like, bruh, it hasnt been 10 minutes since you said flat out you dont consider it one.)

Confirmation they're using TLC for this was highly discouraging. Its annoying to think the best way to get something is dying to de-level, farming a bit, then getting a bunch of resurrections.

Swarming epicenter at the last level they'll drop is significantly better than doing pillars repeatables.
    yober likes this.
  8. yober Elder

But it wasn't, it was over a week then the questions and answers got copy/pasted into discord. Why not just have the devs reply to the questions on the forums? I see no point in doing it like it was done.
  9. jeskola pheerie

for TLP fans, this was total crap. Might have well called it "Overseer/TOV AMA". All TLP fans got was "No Free Trade or PVP TLP" and that is it.

Also they completely ignored all the third party software questions and concerns, like always, but included plenty of cute fluff questions. sigh.
  10. Duder Augur

I would like to see all reactions in discord disabled. People spelling stuff out, the T L P response to every single line, its cluttered and ugly and there isn't a need in any of the channels for emoji responses.
    Goburs, Yinla, Xyroff-cazic. and 7 others like this.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Good summarising, thanks.

Thanks to Dreamweaver for setting it up, and to the devs for taking time out of their busy schedule to be involved.

Absor is my favourite grumpy old man.
  12. Silver-Crow Augur

I think there was only a huge amount of questions as alot have been hanging around for some time without an answer (e.g. necro dot revamp).

We had alot of straight answers last night, which was great. This should mean that those particular topics won't appear again any time soon.

I really think that if you make this a regular thing, then the number of questions will significantly reduce, and the whole thing will become more streamlined.

Thank you all for taking time out to run this event.
  13. Tucoh Augur

Thanks for the AMA, EQ team.

I'm disappointed that makes two AMAs that my question wasn't answered, but I guess a non-answer is still an answer in this case.
  14. Chikkin Augur

Do appreciate the effort.

I think part of what I was frustrated with, had more to do with the players, and the spamming of TLP. Anyway, thank you, and thank you Devs.
  15. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

...because making TLP servers that cater to a dozen players helps us...how? Total waste of resources. Maybe TLP players can come up with better, more fiscally responsible suggestions and you can come sit with Live players up at the adult table for future AMA's. :)

Oh and just heading this off at the pass: just because there are a few threads on the boards about this subject means pretty much nothing. 10% or less of the player base either post or are quiet wall flowers on these boards and just read them. Seldom do opinions on these boards matter to the majority of actual players in EQ.
    feeltheburn, Chikkin and code-zero like this.
  16. Aegir Augur

Thanks for the AMA.

Only thing I may suggest is if you somehow can disable the Emoj feedback to questions and answers next time.It was fun for like the first 2 replies, then it just was uneccesary spam.
  17. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

I... dont know why you think you would get an answer to that?

Its like half the other gotcha questions. People want answers to them, but they arent going to answer them in a way the asker wants, especially when they know the questions ahead of time.

You're getting 2 more TLP's that are going to have their rulesets fleshed out in the next month or so, beyond "is one of them going to have the ruleset a few people asked for" and "is one of them going to be pvp", that seems like all the information they have at the moment based on the forum threads.

The FV loot set answer actually brought up a bigger, non-TLP topic in that the core gameplay loop isnt meant to have droppable gear. This seems funny, given the amount of old raid tradable gear, and that it feels like they keep adding more and more nodrop stuff every expansion, and turning more and more groupable loot into nodrop, which seems to indicate that the core loop always has supported significantly more tradable gear.
  18. tuda Lorekeeper

the few thousand active players every night on Mangler completely disagree with you
    jeskola likes this.
  19. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Mangler is a fast progression server is not a "No Free Trade or PVP TLP". If the Devs didn't think it was a complete BS ask, you'd have it. Again, come up with something fiscally responsible.
    Maneuvre likes this.
  20. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

For those of us that don't have time to waste, is Darkpaw going to post the questions and answers in a text form we can just read?

Having to watch video or listen to audio or otherwise spend unnecessary time on something should be a few page text document is not what I do.

Video and audio have their uses. Looking at some questions and answers is not one of them.
    MasterMagnus likes this.