Community Letter: A Note from Jennifer Chan

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Mar 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angahran Augur

What 'legal consequences' ?
    You do realize that every single time you log in you accept the 'terms and conditions' ?
    These basically say that this is DBG's/DPG's game 100% and that they can do whatever they want, whenever they want.

p.s.
    Welcome JChan !
    I know you have many years of experience in the depths and murky places of Everquest's codebase.
    Hopefully you'll be OK now you're in the spotlight :p
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  2. feeltheburn Augur

for the new member nonsense post and entitlement posts......
    [IMG]
    Gyurika Godofwar and Thunderkiks like this.
  3. PirateLordCarroll Journeyman

I think people get confused because of things like project 1999, that run on next to nothing. They fail to understand that there around 40 people that get paid a living wage and some a huge salary to make everquest, and everquest 2.

Then your right, there are some people who think they should get games for free. Which prob came from facebook, and phones. I do not remember any one in 1999-2004 when subscription was the model, say we should get the entire everquest game for free.

There is a server for people like that though, infact there are 2 that are kind of popular. Project 1999, and project 2002 I think its called both give you the entire game for free. I personal would rather support the people who own the rights to the game, and improve the game.

People are weird though I dono. I mean I just had a convo with some one from Ulitma Online another old game like this, and he told me I was a sucker for buying items in the cash shop supporting the company who runs it.

I mean I just bought a sub for this, and dumped 20 bucks into eq2 for some cosmetic stuff, even if I only play it for a week I am still happy supporting people who have keep a game I like going. When chances are I am going to stop playing everquest 2 when the new everquest servers come out. I don't know why people are so adverse to spending money in a video game, it is just strange to me I guess. It is literally one of the cheapest hobbies you can have.

A 4 wheeler costs 10 grand, plus registration fees every year, gas and repair. A computer that plays everquest costs like 50 bucks, and the sub for everquest is 15 a month. Then there always seems to be a victim in these chats like this, that some how afforded to talk with us all on the internet, but says 15 a month IS TO INSANE for a video game that gives 1000s of hours of entertainment, which is just beyond me.

So lets see, I dumped 250 into UO cash shop, plus 15 a month for that sub which I plan to keep for the next year. I dumped 15 into eq, plus the 20 inn the cash shop, which I also plan to keep for the next year. Will dump a few more 100s in both prolly, and none of that even remotely comes to the cost of say drinking, or a 4 wheeler.

The sheer arrogance it must take to get 1000s of hours of entertainment from something, and want it all free is just insanity to me.

No I am not saying I am better than you, or you are a bad person if you cant afford eq sub. What I will say is, if I had trouble paying for 15 dollars a month a game I enjoyed. I would not be even thinking about playing video games, I would be focused on getting my self in a secure position to do what I wanted. I sure wouldn't expect the game to go free, or other people to hold my hand and get a free ride.
    Duder likes this.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Heroics that have been given up never come with extra character slots. If someone has all their character slots filled with toons at level 85 or higher they don't really need an extra heroic. Though to be fair a lot of us will heroic an already higher level toon to get a few things included in what heroic toons get... like DoN bonuses. Just saying.
    Herodotus and Nennius like this.
  5. Angahran Augur

Things like 'project 1999' can run for next to nothing because they stole the original codebase from EQ.
    They have no development costs, just whatever it costs to keep their hardware running and their internet connection active.
    eepok likes this.
  6. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Sorry, clicking launchpad shortcut on my desktop (hang on, I'll do it again...) Window opens, wait 15 seconds it completes loading: username and password.
    Top left says version: the center top says Switch Account| Get ALL access | Forums | Support | - X
    Bottom of the window: Email signup ....Daybreak....Darkpaw

Center of this window is the sign in.
    So this is the account log in screen that started when I clicked the Launch pad short cut on my desktop.

I sign in... Center of screen turned into the orange bar checking all files.. and to the right is Latest News. Option to Click Play.

I click play.. Full screen server select screen.

I chose a server ( last one the game remembered I was on ) ... Torment of Velious screen appears.. halflings like pizza on the bottom ( jk )
    Then screen changes to Chose a character.

Chose a character screen appears. Click Enter World.

NO EULA.. No terms and conditions.
  7. Angahran Augur

Hmm, I was sure there used to be an 'agree to eula' at login.

Anyway, if you don't agree to the EULA feel free to uninstall the game.
  8. Angahran Augur

Found it :)
    When you run with the option to bypass the patcher it shows the EULA window.

When you run the patcher the EULA is shown under advanced tools.

"Agreement Acceptance: Please carefully read this Agreement before accessing, downloading, and/or using the Software and/or any Game(s). By accessing, downloading and/or using the Software and/or any Game(s), you accept and agree to be legally bound by all of the terms and conditions of this Agreement, you represent that you are at least 18 years of age or have reached the legal age of majority in your jurisdiction, and you are accepting this Agreement on behalf of yourself or your minor child. If you do not accept and agree to be legally bound by all of the terms and conditions of this Agreement, click the "I Decline" button or do not access, download and/or use the Software and/or Game. "
    Herodotus and Duder like this.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You are all correct, except Veteranbetatester. You will see the EULA on a new install or reinstall of the game.

Once you log in thru that new install/reinstall from then on you will not see the EULA. However the EULA is still there under advanced tools in case someone doesn't want to go to the main website and read it there. Sometimes if there was a patch that affected some of the game mechanics then you might see the EULA again at log in.

You will also see the EULA when you by pass the patcher since you are circumventing the legal log in so they have to get your agreement to continue since your not using the patcher where it is.

And yes, cause this will be the next argument, you did give them permission to charge your credit card each month or 3 months or whatever. That happened when you entered the credit card info and chose "All Access" It clearly states it is a recurring charge and its up to you to cancel it.
  10. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

No.
    I have EQ on a separate SSD.
    If I reinstall Windows OS on the main SSD, I simply have lost the icon on desktop to play EQ.
    Now installing the game, it puts the icon on desktop. But, since the OS was reinstalled, I now have to click something to start the game as the icon is missing. I have to have an icon placed back on the desktop to start the game.
    Game SSD reconnected to pc.
    As stated, eqgame doesn't work. I have to make a shortcut for launchpad.exe (as the error message, " please run Launchpad.exe). There is no bypass, there is no hack or custom. I am simply doing as the error says run Launchpad.exe. So I put a shortcut to Launchpad on my desktop.
    No, I am not. I am JUST stating a fact. It has been a few years since I installed EQ on my game SSD.
    Please be friendlier in your replies.
  11. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

You had to accept the eula before you could log in. Not having to click it again means it hasn't changed since the last time you agreed to it.

The eula changes 2-3 times a year, and then you have to click it again before you can log in with your saved logins.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Would you like me to video it for you and post it on youtube? Will you believe me then? It has been years since I saw an EULA. And I don't see one when I sign in for my support tickets, or payment.
    You think I make this up?
    Enough said.
  13. Duder Augur

Are you claiming ignorance of the existence of a EULA? Really? It was available to you always. In a comparison, is it okay to steal from a store because they don't have signs that say not to steal?
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

But when you saw that EULA years ago you clicked you agreed to all terms. You have agreed to the terms even if it was years ago, you are still bound by that agreement.
    Duder likes this.
  15. NemesisOfSeth New Member

Curious question, would it be possible to bring back the LON card game playing overseer has made many of us miss it. The game itself was great but it never went past its origin, it had so much potential to simply be abandoned. Drop rate of seasonal ornaments is almost nonexistent. That would have been best left alone to drop as it once was. Plushie’s need to make a com back and increase their drop rate too. They are almost nonexistent. If you bring the LON game back, bring the in-game LON card drops back as well. Housing placement count is way too low. I had to make my own guild to place all my things in it with only my characters and that's still not enough. Placement space ran out on the outside for decoration. Feel free to check it on the Drinel server under Nemesis (Goblin Slayer) Guild. Also peep Guta housing that guy made some crazy stuff! If there was a way to lock and unlock pieces together that would be great! Then they could count as 1 unit. You keep making new expansions which is all fine and dandy, but could you go back and fix the things that already exist and improve them. Example I love the shrouding, but they can't enter tutorial, and i think they cap out at 75. More importantly, they are way to weak. You could have had something here if let them ware shroud gear and weapons. Monster Mission came, became popular forced grouping in game again, but in weird mm format and then got Nerfed so bad that they weren't fun, and no one even remembers them. Expansion with great instances like DON (Which I loved) or LDON (which I hated, great idea bad exp for extremely slow missions, Much like your 19th Ani tent mission) There instances where if you could make them into hardcore heritage people would love them. The once a year hard core heritage is great, Why not expand on that and rotate it monthly like you do with Hot zones so all zones are involved and players can play the zoned that made them fall in love with this game back in 1999. Now the question is why aren't these things possible? Oh, and for the love of mike, permanent pet gear with an actual pet gear window like merc's or players have would be a blessing. Oh, great job on offering HOT expansion, don't stop there offer the rest of the expansions! We have money which we want to give you for them, take our money! Take it! I have a lot more to say but, for now let’s see if you respond.
  16. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

It was abandoned cause no one played it except for the 20 people who will now speak up and swear they played it all the time:D

Anyway they took down the server when the game was taken out so I highly doubt they would bring up a new server just for a card game.

Plushies are still in the game. Check your baz for them or if not by them selves then look for figurines collectors chests. They are kinda expensive since you need to open a chest to gain the ach but after that you can trade the plushies for the ach.
  17. Angahran Augur

It doesn't matter when you last saw the EULA, the point is that when you installed the game, before you could play, you had to accept the EULA.
    There have been times it has popped up again, I think if they make any changes to it it reappears and you have to again agree to it.

The point you seem to be missing is that you HAVE agreed to the EULA and since it is still the same EULA you have already agreed to, you are bound by it every time you log in.

If you are so against the EULA then feel free to logout and uninstall the game.
    Gyurika Godofwar and code-zero like this.
  18. Angahran Augur

Bypassing the patcher is not "circumventing the legal log in", it is using a perfectly valid option provided by the game.
  19. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Sigh, ok let me rephrase that. When you by pass the patcher you are given the EULA to agree to each time, unlike the patcher where you only had to agree once since it is built into the patcher and not built into the by pass.
  20. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

No, people played it. They shut down the Denver office, where it was run out of, and eventually stopped supporting it. Then just shut it down entirely. It was due to staffing cutbacks and the fact it was run in a state where they completely shut down operations.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.