EverQuest Trivia #668

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Fredescu, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Fredescu Augur

No.
  2. Mary Poppins Augur

Is it a blue bird?
    Fredescu likes this.
  3. Fredescu Augur

No.
  4. Fredescu Augur

Recap:

Yes:
    Hey, I thought it was us who ask the questions here?! ^_~
    Did you actually do the calculation required to properly answer Duder’s train question?
    Is it an NPC?
    Does the npc have legs?
    Can you kill the NPC by bludgeoning it to death?
    Is the NPC an animal?
    Does it have wings?
    is it a bird?
    Is it found on an island?
    Is it a big bird?

Yes, if:
    Could you TRY to eat it?
    - "Given that the act of eating in Everquest is right clicking on something, I would say yes, you could right click on it to attempt to eat it."

No:
    Can you eat it?
    Is it brown?
    If a train leaves New York City traveling west in a straight line at 50mph, and a train leaves Chicago traveling east in a straight line at 30mph, will the miles traveled by the Chicago train once the NYC train has reached Chicago, divided by 100, be greater than the weight of the item? (assuming weight is in pounds)
    Does it resemble a phallus?
    Is the answer even an item?
    Is the answer the to puzzle an item?
    Is it part of the UI?
    Does the npc have boobs?
    Is it the PoK bank?
    Is it Banker Granger?
    Does the npc have more than 2 legs?
    Does this npc wear any clothing or external armor (natural armor, such as scales or exoskeletons, do not count)?
    Does the npc have any natural armor?
    has this animal been featured in more than one everquest expansion as a killable npc?
    Regrua (sp) from TBS?
    Is it The Spiroc Lord?
    Is it a flightless bird?
    Angry Alfred?
    an eyepecker squawker?
    Is it a blue bird?

Invocation of ancient, binding, and certainly not made up on the spot to pressure the game runner into providing more information than required, Laws of Trivia

"My concern, which I ASSume is also shared by Mr. Duder, is whether or not your calculations were mathematically accurate. As a former officially unofficial EverQuest Trivia commissioner, I hereby request public confirmation of the number your calculations produced.

I understand most current EQ trivia players are likely unfamiliar with this process, as it is not contained in the standard rule set listed at the start of each trivia game. It is definitely not common practice, and to the best of my knowledge it has only been invoked on two previous occasions. I do assure you, however, that it is a legitimate, accepted, and unbiased inquiry that is openly available to all EQ Trivia players.

To clarify, previously established guidelines dictate that this confirmation inquiry does not count as an actual “question” or “guess” for the trivia game. It is simply a means to ensure that the accuracy, and therefore integrity, of the game is maintained. As such, it also is not limited to the “yes or no” restrictions that actual trivia questions must adhere to.

Please confirm the number you calculated at your earliest convenience. Thank you."

Sophistry:
    what could it be that is not an item that you could attempt to eat?
    - "I'll break with yes/no tradition to answer this, but only because I'm confident that doing so will provide no further information than has already been provided, at least my perspective, and perhaps serve the (entirely untended) secondary purpose of further obfuscating the answer to the game.

The premise of the question "Could you TRY to eat it?" is that failure is certain. This is made all the more clear in the context to my answer to the previous question that, no, it cannot be eaten. So the question was never "Could you successfully invoke game mechanics such that the <answer> could in fact be eaten by your character?" We are already operating in a context where we know this to be impossible, but we're trying anyway.

So I approached the question asking myself, could my character, certain in failure (assuming sound mind), interact with the object in the same way as my character interacts with something that can be eaten? Despite it being known, now, that it is not an "item", to me, the answer was a clear and amusing yes.

You'll note that in answering the question, I provided clear context "given that the act of eating in Everquest is right clicking on something." So the information that can be gleaned from my answer is not that it is only an item, but that it is a something in the game world that can be right clicked. To me, this would include NPCs, items, in game geometry (and other categories that I may be potentially deliberately not listing), really anything that is represented in the game as an object that the character interacts with. As opposed to things that the player interacts with.

Note that I did give the player opportunity to clarify what "trying to eat" something in Everquest entails, if they disagree with my description.

Imagine the answer to the game was "PoK bank". A player asks "Could you TRY to eat it?", immediately after learning that it could not be eaten. It would be entirely remiss of me to say "no" as long as I specified that I believe this action is right clicking it. You could imagine someone's character wanting to eat the PoK bank, and you could enable that behaviour by right clicking it over and over. Yes, right clicking it does nothing, but we already know this is a "try but fail" scenario, so that doesn't change the answer. If the player asks a question such as "Could you TRY to eat it?" I believe they are asking a question of imagination, where one can imagine a deranged high elf gnawing on the wooden framework of PoK bank.

Clearly you can't just "TRY" to eat everything involved in the game though. To me this question rules out abstract things just as zones and quests, and things that the player interacts with but the character does not, like UI elements and other things."
  5. Mary Poppins Augur

I did NOT make that provision up on the spot!

I am personally aware of TWO instances in which it was used in the past - the first of which was used against me when I was running a game (that’s how I found out about it), and the second when I myself invoked it because the game master failed basic elementary rules of geography. There may (and probably were) have been instances before I started playing EQ Trivia, and there may (although probably not) have been instances after I retired from the game.

I have recently started revamping the EQ Trivia game answer list housed in the Moritpedia with more details about (and a link directly to) each individual game. If I had completed this process, I could probably cite the exact games in which these instances occurred. However, it is a looooong process and I have not finished yet. Additionally, the farther back I go (although truthfully, I haven’t gotten very far yet...), the harder it will be to obtain individual game information, as some of the trivia games from the older forums only exist in the wayback machine.

So if you STILL don’t believe me, feel free to research and track down the games I am referencing. I was active from somewhere around the late 200’s or early 300’s until game #498. Both instances of the clarification invocation happened somewhere within that range of games.

Quite frankly, I am INSULTED at the implication that I made up the provision on the spot in this game. Had if doing so would have provided me with a unique advantage, I could understand the skepticism being directed at me. However, I clearly requested a “public confirmation”, ensuring that no such advantage would be provided to any trivia player.

I feel an apology is in order, but since I am no longer the active “officially unofficial EverQuest Trivia commissioner”, I will default to Verily’s judgment on the appropriate future actions for all parties involved.

Is the npc a raid bird?
    Fredescu likes this.
  6. Fredescu Augur

I know that, in fact I believe I said I was "certain" of it. I was anticipating the accusation and protecting you against it.

Yes.
    Mary Poppins likes this.
  7. Mary Poppins Augur

Thank you. I formally withdraw my request for a public apology.

Also, I meant red bird. Is the npc a red bird?
    Fredescu likes this.
  8. Fredescu Augur

No.
  9. Grove Augur

aviak avenger -- Not officially raid, but at the level it feels like it.
    Fredescu likes this.
  10. Verily Tjark Augur

Quavonis Firetail?
    Fredescu likes this.
  11. Fredescu Augur

No.

No.
  12. Verily Tjark Augur

Is the bird the primary raid target? (meaning it's the boss not an add or something)
    Fredescu likes this.
  13. Grove Augur

I am pretty much out of this one now -- non-raider -- but to add some focus for the rest:
    In or since expansion The Darkened Sea?
    Fredescu likes this.
  14. Mary Poppins Augur

Is the bird primarily one color?
    Fredescu likes this.
  15. Fredescu Augur

No.

No.

Yes.
  16. Mary Poppins Augur

Is the primary color orange?
    Fredescu likes this.
  17. Fredescu Augur

No.
  18. Finfan Augur

From PoP or earlier?

pssst You missed Verily's question.
    Mary Poppins and Fredescu like this.
  19. Fredescu Augur

Yes.

Which one? I got the two on this page. Is there an earlier one?
  20. Mary Poppins Augur

The one where he asked what the numbers were for your calculation of Duder’s train question.

Is the primary color green?
    Duder and Fredescu like this.