Monk skills question.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Finfan, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Finfan Augur

So, I keep trying character classes I never tried before and I am working on a Monk now. I keep getting new skills that seem to overlap and I am wondering how they work. For instance Kick and Round Kick seem to be tied. If I use one I cannot use the other until the cooldown timer runs out. The same for Tiger Claw/Eagle Strike/Dragon Strike. Does it make any sense to keep all of these up as hot buttons, or should I just switch to the most recent as I get them? It seems like a waste of skill ups to keep raising them all if the first is just a lesser version of the following skills.
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

As you get a new skill, it will out damage the previous one. You do want to keep them all skilled up however, as once you hit 51, and start getting AA, there are lines that add special effects. Kick procs a snare, roundkick a stun.
  3. Sonus New Member

If you stick with it to end game, different skills like tiger claw/dragon punch/tail rake/Eagle strike give different benefits: debuffing mob, endurance bursts, and such.

Skills are important, and knowing what each does even more so.

Have fun!
  4. Finfan Augur

5. Herf Augur

Really? I didn't know that! Where can I find a list of which moves do what effects? For lvl 65.
  6. forum troll Elder

Just a suggestion but I have made macros for each punch and kick type so I can swap quickly as needed for different effects such as

Kicks:
    Macro name Flying kick - first line /autoskill flying kick
    Macro name Snare - First line /autoskill kick
    Macro name Stun - First line /autoskill Round kick

I also did the same with the punches having these swappable on the fly will allow you to quickly switch to snare let it proc and swap back to flying kick in seconds, when you click any of them it switches your autoskill to the one you need quickly then when done press back the Flying Kick macro again
  7. Paincake Elder

I never knew this.

Does this take effect in a certain expansion? For example, is this a thing during PoP?
  8. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Depends on what you are talkin about.

If you are talking about in general on the TLP servers, then all of this is active now I do believe, same goes for Live. These were QoL changes that the Devs either cannot or chose not to limit afaik. But the parts which are tied to AA lines may likely still require the expansion that originally introduced them to be unlocked before they are available on TLP servers.

If you are talking about the Specials being split between Strikes and Kicks that has only been in the last 5 years; though Tiger Claw had been split from the kicks for a bit longer. That said, the Strikes being on a different timer than the kicks is not something that the Devs could easily lock behind an expansion, so they are on separate timers on TLP servers as well as Live.

If you are talking about the different random procs being tied to different specials, that is a fairly recent thing, like in the last 3-4 years. Previously they were those were tied to specific AA lines which similar things, but more recently they revamped the lines and changed them from being activated abilities to passive abilities that cause procs.

If you are talking about the /autoskill commands, then that is within the last 2 or 3 years. I am fairly sure that since this is just a QoL improvement, the Devs did not tie its use to any specific expansion.
  9. Protagonist Tank

/autoskill is usable on Mangler now, starting at level 61. The various monk skills proccing special effects are a AAs which have not yet been unlocked, there.