Aradune a GM enforced no box server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kenshin11, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Kenshin11 Journeyman

Was hoping to start a discussion on this and get peoples thoughts. Since they are releasing a boxing server, why not make a no box server? I believe the intention of True Box was to reduce boxing, but it seems like people box whole groups regardless (and have found ways around the restrictions). So why not let it be GM enforced like on P99? Maybe allow volunteer guides that will keep an eye on things? I'm sure people will be willing to pay extra for something like this.
  2. code-zero Augur

Umm.....because they don’t want to empower abusive zealots?
    Bailen and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  3. Jaenisch Elder

You act like boxing is bad...
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. mark Augur

boxing and botting are a different thing,people love it when you have charecters out of the group adding dps buffs heals,but afk botting for profit when they lock down camps and try to force you to buy from them if you want somthing isent cool.
  5. Jaenisch Elder

It sure isent.
  6. Moforyguy12345 Augur

I'd prefer a no bot server.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  7. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

They cannot afford to enforce against boxing or even full automation customers.

When's the last time you heard a bot team got banned forever? :rolleyes:

Long as you can act like you are somewhere near a keyboard you are 99% safe to use whatever the **** you want.
  8. HoodenShuklak Augur

They did shut down the selo 100 man sg crew. Maybe they just doubled down in mangler? I don't know but they got that scumlord off selo.
  9. Numi Journeyman

I like how people think the only reason no one will group with them is because of boxing.....
    ajschliewe and snailish like this.
  10. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Curious how many months did that take?
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Truebox is a good system, but a "no-box" in reality is a very difficult maybe even business-damaging thing to enforce & would actually serve to encourage even more hackers to work on defeating it, the more draconian any measures are the more extreme any counter-reaction becomes, this could realistically put truebox at an even greater risk of being further reduced in effect.

How would no-box work with families who play together - would you just exclude them, so 1 member of the household may get to play on such a server & the rest can just bloody well jog on?

Truebox is (or at least when originally rolled out was) severe enough to create a discouragement that only the worst abusers will try to flout, and while no measure will ever stand a realistic chance of completely eradicating those who cheat it will certainly reduce the problem.

Truebox 2.0 may be in the pipe, or the devs may simply not have enough time, you have to remember that for every coder Darkpaw has the community probably has dozens more, it's like a big warehouse fire where you have 10 expert firefighters to put out the blaze with but you are opposed by 100 expert arsonists trying to keep it going.
    ajschliewe and snailish like this.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

The fact that it went on so blatantly for so long is absolutely disheartening. The game is barely being policed, and selo removed all confidence to pretty much my entire group of friends and many guildmates that daybreak actually cares about policing Everquest when it comes to egregious hacking or botting.

That the massive rmt crews were running on mangler to planes of power is a travesty for the game that we all enjoy.
    PirateLordCarroll likes this.
  13. PirateLordCarroll Journeyman

That doesn't make sense. They 100 percent could enforce no boxing and botting, they gave people who want to do that another TLP. I honestly hope they 100 percent make this new server no boxing, and no bots, including no play 6 characters even on 6 computers. If it is just another tlp with 0 enforcement and truebox, I personally wont even bother with it. I can only imagine how the firsts days are with a bunch of botters and boxers running around. I never even tried a new TLP for that very reason.

Where is it you honestly think a bunch of cheaters are the people who keep this game going? Is that just what people tell them selves who do it I dono. The majority of people who play this, neither cheat, nor want to play 6 characters on 6 different computers. If they made a no box no cheat server, with the penalty of perm ban. All the cheaters, and boxers would go to the other TLP. There would be a rare cheater on the new no box no cheat server, but they would be shut down quickly because no more nonsense make believe excuses that you have 47 computers sitting in a row. Play more than one character and bam banned.

You think the server would be dead, but I guarantee it would be the only healthy TLP, after a new one came out next year, if they countined to enforce no bots, not boxes, no cheaters. They should also make it Play station 4 only too, but that is just my dream haha, because then cheaters not only get banned from eq, they lose their play station.
  14. PirateLordCarroll Journeyman

Where do you guys even come up with this nonsense about enforcing banning cheaters, and making a everquest server where no one is allowed to play 6 characters at once is business damaging? Do you just tell your self that to make your self feel better? I mean project 1999 does just that, and they keep over 1000 people playing usally at all times. So some how you translate that to, if you make a cheater free, no box server, then it will be business damaging talk about reaching for straws lol.

The only reason some one would say that, is because they cheat them selves or box, and they don't want a server where it is illegal and enforced. Why, you like to have a server where most people don't, so you have a huge advantage over them, if you were forced to play on a server where every single player is a bot, or box army you wouldn't play any more.

I guarantee you a enforced, no box, no bot, no cheating server would have 1000+ people all times, and still maintain a 1000+ even after a new one came out, unless of course it was a copy of the first one, then every one would go to it, but yeah. I also guarantee the other TLP that has no rules, would be deader than dirt. You cheaters, botters, and boxers only like to play when you feel you have a advantage over people, and when you play with your selves where every one is a cheater, and a box army you don't want to play anymore. Adding in the fact that most of the cheaters, and boxers do it to make money in real life off the black market.

So yep the only business a fully enforced no box, no bots, no cheats server would hurt would be the scummy RMT black market people.
  15. code-zero Augur

Boxing has been in EQ ever since the first player figured out that he could play two accounts on two different computers sitting next to each other. I don't know who that was but my friends and I figured that out for ourselves early in 2000.

There has never been "no boxing or be banned" in the game and the P99 emulators arose because of that fact.

I do understand that some people don't like for someone to have fun the wrong way but Verant/SOE/DBG/DPG have no history of forbidding boxing
    ajschliewe, Skuz and snailish like this.
  16. snailish Augur

Think like a precision surgeon... boxing is just a play tactic, botting is a symptom.

Many of the things that get people on early progression angry about "boxers" could be solved by getting to the root of the angst.

For example... do something like the following to Lower Guk:
    -all named loot is % chance to zonewide drop (Raster must of dropped that and a frog picked it up)
    -much faster respawn rate
    -make key named loot no drop
    -some mobs immune to some tactics (i.e. being charmed)

and so on. Make Lower Guk a place only a solid group (or boxer) can make any headway in in-era, that respawns too fast to hold multiple floors safely at level and so on.

[if any of this has been done, my apologies I have been away about a year]
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

Just my opinion, but I'm confident they will never open a no-box server.
    Skuz likes this.
  18. Nolrog Augur

Isn't this fracking horse dead already?
  19. jiri_ Augur

Well, and that's what the Truebox idea was supposed to be about - one client per computer. I three-box on Mangler that way. It just turns out that it's fairly easy to sidestep.

I'd be all in favor of full automation being banned and aggressively prosecuted, but that is a different kettle of fish altogether.
    Skuz and code-zero like this.
  20. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Of course they could enforce bots or boxing but in all the years they haven't and it's only getting worse by each new TLP. I think the cheaters and boxers add to a bottom line and they are unsure how to handle it at this point in time.

Let's face it EQ isn't big enough to mass ban hundreds if not thousands of folks who use 3rd party tools.
    Maybe they got a plan... maybe they don't.

P1999 is a free server heavily enforced by the same people who most likely RMT themselves.

EQ relies on a subscriptions and in game store sales to keep going, they have less incentive to ban people who are pushing tons of krono through the TLP system.

The amount of krono that comes through a TLP for the first 90 to 180 days is just staggering.
    I can't even fathom the # because it's just hard to tell from a small sample of friends and other traders I chat with during the EC tunnel chats.