Denmark in lockdown (not EQ related)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by IblisTheMage, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Denmark did release statistics including age-brackets: https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/status-paa-coronavirus-lige-nu

link is obviously in danish... but they do have some diagrams.

The stated reason for not releasing those sooner, was simply a too small sample-size, to be worth anything at first...

Note, the age bracket is for infected people, it is not for people who died. I don't think denmark have enough deaths yet(only 13) to make useful statistics for those. That said, most fatalities have been older people afaik.

Another note for the age bracket, it is heavily skewed towards people in the forties, because that is the most common age-group for danish skiing-tourists visiting Austria(where the first batch of infected came from)
    Herf and svann like this.
  2. svann Augur

I think if they dont allow a fast track of the vaccine (because regulations) then most people will get the virus before that happens. The normal US process of approving a vaccine takes too long for emergencies.
  3. Xyphen Maximum Augur

You guys sound like "that uncle" everyone dreads having to listen to at the Thanksgiving dinner table.
    Herf, Nennius and code-zero like this.
  4. Whulfgar Augur

Age is very much a legit relevant thing. Wether you wish to admit it or not. Is it elderly more so then other age brackets or is it the young that are die'ing more from it ?

To sit there an say the age of people 21+ up threw 55.. are not dieing to it while 55+ are massively die'ing from it .. as are the young Under the age of 10 or lower.. Is not the same as it has a 100% equal chance to kill anyone of any age bracket.
  5. Whulfgar Augur

Not to mention, that prior to Trumps administration.. the united states handed all that power over to china..
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

China was validating and approving vaccines for USA? o_O

Or are we talking about something else?
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

I thought the FDA fit in there somewhere. Hmmm Anyway, a bit of humor...

[IMG]
    Herf and Jumbur like this.
  8. Ravanta Suffer Augur

I'm convinced you're not thinking about this right. *of course the elderly have a higher mortality rate from this* This is true of damn near any disease! Older people have weaker immune systems, generally have more underlying health issues, and in a lot of cases can go from healthy to dead at the drop of a hat.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

To be fair, one of the reported symptoms was diarrhea. But yeah, some people took the hoarding way too far...:rolleyes:
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

Everyone?? I find a new victim almost every holiday. Honest. Well, I do try. Darn it, now where did that poor victim go?
  11. Whulfgar Augur

Good to know you dont even believe yourself. Of course age brackets are VERY apt.. in situations like this.
  12. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Welcome to ignore.
  13. Herodotus Augur

Re: The discussion about age breakdowns with Covid 19 infections, this story has a good (I think) breakdown of that information and more from San Diego County. Whether the same trends are true elsewhere is a question I have no good way of answering. In this chart the largest number of those infected is between the ages of 30-39 with 49 individuals being infected. As I mentioned, I don't know if this is the same as in Italy for instance.
    Interesting to me is the huge disparity in the sex ratio with 116 males infected to 61 females. Anyway, if the chart is accurate, it does give some idea of what is actually happening in my neck of the woods. As always, your experience could be very different.

https://www.eastcountymagazine.org/...efy-orders-205-local-covid-19-cases-confirmed
  14. Herodotus Augur

15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

My personal (and completely unscientific) theory, is that the most infected age-bracket, is skewed towards people who travel a lot(until the virus have had better time to spread in local communities, a lot of countries are still in the early phases). While the age-bracket with most fatalities is the oldest one, as old people rarely have a robust immune-system.

In Italy however, there is a strong tradition for visiting elder relatives often(I think), which have helped to spread the virus among the older population, much faster.
    svann likes this.
  16. svann Augur

I dont think catching it has any age distribution. Everyone gets it. Older folks just have to hope that they don't get it until there is a good treatment for it. There is also a possibility of a vaccine for preventative, but that's a ways out iiuc.
    Jumbur likes this.
  17. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Yeah, most people should expect to get infected eventually. With some 10%(?) needing medical help. With extra care, those 10% of the infections can be spread out over time, so that the hospitals have enough resources to help all of them. The 0.7%(?) fatality rate, assumes optimal hospital-resources afaik.

Gambling on untested vaccines should only be a last resort imo.

I read somewhere that the gender-distribution of the infected, can be explained with smoking habits, as more men than women smokes. Smoking increases the risk factor...