Coronavirus PSA (From Positive Test)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Xyphen, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Off-topic, but since this is a decently sized community and there has been chat about it I figured I'd post my firsthand Coronavirus experience. There's a lot of misinformation and speculation out there so figured this might be insightful.

I tested positive for COVID-19 today. I did not have all the symptoms the CDC said you needed to have to go get tested. It started like a flu on day 1 (mild fever, body aches) and then went on to what felt like moderate allergy/cold symptoms for a little over a week (the worst being a sore throat). I didn't go in for a test for several days because the CDC swore you needed to have a cough which I didn't, and my fever never exceeded 99.8 degrees. The symptoms so far have lasted around 1 1/2 weeks and have been pretty mild.

If you're wondering why COVID-19 is actually dangerous, it's because your body has no immunity to it, and your body is much more susceptible to contracting other illnesses while it fights it. I developed Strep throat as a result of COVID-19. Common cold/flu-like symptoms aren't dangerous, but Strep throat can be fatal for those with poor immune systems.

I hope this was helpful. If you are feeling sick at all, please stay home or consider getting tested. The results take 5-7 days to come back. They will mark a mandatory 1-2 week self-quarantine on your medical record and will call you when results come back. I'm in my early 30s and live in NYC.

And most importantly, please stop telling people COVID-19 isn't a big deal. It legit sucks.
  2. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Hope you get better soon, friend.
    DirtyGurtie, RPoo and Xyphen like this.
  3. Mintalie Augur

Thank you for sharing, OP. We all need to do our part to stop the spread. Like play EQ.
    Xyphen and RPoo like this.
  4. Prathun Developer

Glad you were able to get tested and get some medical help.
    Hope your situation improves soon.
  5. Maedhros High King

Get well soon and thanks for sharing.
    Prathun likes this.
  6. FJRQZ Journeyman

I, hope you get to feeling better soon and thanks for sharing.
  7. Vigilance New Member

Please do not go to your local ERs "to get tested".

If your symptoms are mild, which is the case in a lot of COVID-19 cases, please stay home and self quarantine.
    Many states are setting up testing drive through situations, despite the overall lack of tests available.

The vast majority of cases, people testing positive, will be as the OP stated, sent home with quarantine instructions AND return if worse instructions.

In some cases, the illness can develop into Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome and require more intensive care. These cases are usually due to acquiring pneumonia as well.

In the meantime, everyone needs to practice hand hygiene, cough etiquette and refrain from touching your face.

Also, please do not make panic-buys. Purchase what you need.
    EQ Dev and Zamiam like this.
  8. Tucoh Augur

interesting that you had mild symptoms and were able to get a test. Did you have large amounts of interaction with someone else who tested positive for covid19?
  9. Xyphen Maximum Augur

I work at a large global financial firm and we have quite a bit of international traffic throughout the office. There was another positive test in my building before we started having most of the company work from home.

Besides that it was just a process of elimination. There were 3 throat cultures to rule out flu/cold, two which showed Strep. The doctor said you can't have both the flu and CV at the same time (unsure if that's actually true), so via process of elimination they sent in for a CV test. A final culture was taken to be sent for CV testing, which came back yesterday.

So ultimately the decision to test for CV was based off of my occupation and interaction with international clients as well as the process of eliminating other causes.
  10. Bamboompow Augur

Get better soon! At least you were able to get tested.

Got a few friends at home with symptoms. Their doctors of course refused to see them and instead did teleconferences (for an out of pocket fee). They were then referred to the local major University medical system (another teleconference). One case was told they probably have the virus but were not going to be tested due to being in a low risk demographic (age). They were told to self quarantine for 2 weeks. This individual's employer was given a note stating that they have an upper respiratory infection, prescribed drugs and also told they can return to work in 72 hours if showing improvement. They never got to see a doctor and yet it got put to bed. Just like that. Basically if you are a working bubba, you have to ride it out, hope for the best and make good decisions.

WTF. So this person, who is a telecomm service tech who has to interact with the Public in their homes, is going to just sit in their work van all day on the clock, cancel all their jobs (calling customers up to say they are sick), and ride it out. They can't stay home the full two weeks without pay in addition to the risk of disciplinary action. Basically they have to go back to work....as a potential carrier of the virus. At least there is still a job to do and bennies for the family. Many folks in the businesses closed by this are just straight up screwed.

So obviously someone is choosing "winners and losers" with this. Maybe if my friends were famous, wealthy and/or play basketball etc. OP, it sounds like you are in that socioeconomic demographic that is going to be taken care of. You can work from home making your salary that allows you to live comfortable in NYC. It still stinks you got sick, but count your blessings. Your Mayor has a point to make, however. I won't post the quote, but you should know what he said well enough.
    Prathun likes this.
  11. Herf Augur

Ahhhh, so COVID-19 is a Disease Debuff!
  12. IblisTheMage Augur

Best wishes from Denmark.
  13. Mintalie Augur

Staff of Viral Flux suddenly useful again.
  14. Bobokin Augur

The medical community says ride it out in self quarantine and don't give out a test kit. Of course, they don't report it as an official case either, so how are we supposed to know how many people have actually contracted it?
    Nennius and CatsPaws like this.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

And given the reported dearth of test kits available the real number may be far greater than the reported number. Authorities in San Diego County for instance have stated on news reports that the actual number of people infected may be under-counted by a factor of ten. If this is true, then the importance of keeping a decent distance from many other people becomes readily important.
  16. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Best luck to you! Thank you for the post! I wish you pull through this. 30 is a low age!
    Please think of air and touch contamination with those around you.. You should be tented. Seriously. ( I say that because hospitals in ITALY have their patients in little tents)
    Xyphen likes this.
  17. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Thanks. I actually ended up in the hospital because the symptoms went away for 2 days then came back worse than before. I took a picture of my ridiculous-looking doctor in a hazmat suit and if she gives me permission I'll post it.

Fortunately I have the Artisan's Prize to keep me busy while I ride it out.
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  18. DirtyGurtie Lorekeeper

Get well soon, friend and Thank you for sharing this with everyone! My Mother, who is 73, has asthma, and diabetes, lives with me, as she can't care for herself due to those, and other health issues. I've taken a leave of absence from work, and we are self isolating for a few weeks, because i can't risk her getting this, she probably wouldn't survive it. So I would ask, on behalf of my Mom, and everyone else with a compromised immune system, stay home if you can, and certainly if you're sick-if not for yourself, do it to protect others. You might survive this, but for people like my Mother, it is almost a death sentence. Please be safe all, and be kind to each other.