Denmark in lockdown (not EQ related)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by IblisTheMage, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Elyssanda Bardbrain

well, I guess that is one way to get immunity, but the toll it would take on the population.. *shudder*
    Hopefully here in the USA ... I want to say we'd be smarter than that, but ................ .............
  2. Dawdle Augur

You have to wonder if the strategy is not a “herd immunity” strategy but rather a “herd immunity maybe” strategy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucel...how-does-covid-19-immunity-work/#7c18667a5c0f

The best thing to do would have been to stop the spread of this virus, contain it, and wait for a possible vaccine. We'll see but you don't get second chances. The virus is pretty much everywhere now and I don't hear about there being any plans to help people in places like Venezuela.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ng-payments-cut-off-during-coronavirus-crisis

https://www.independent.ie/world-ne...new-cases-of-covid-19-confirmed-39045775.html

This was never about just getting sick. Some 50k workers are out of a job in just Ireland alone. I might not be affected by this but that doesn't mean I think it's not a concern. I feel like the people that are supposed to be representing our interests have been taking the piss.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/tru...n-emergency-coronavirus-spending-package.html

No it's not the US job to protect the world but we have 8.3 billion to spend now? Maybe 50m could of been spent on containing covid-19? Hard to say. The EU did the same thing till we saw what happened in Italy.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...to-fight-coronavirus-trump-says-idUSKBN20Z0ES

This is also great for US but what's going to happen if few countries are able to recover from this. The long term effect on the global economy doesn't look good.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/06/24/do-mexican-drug-cartels-make-billion-year/

There's no FDA checks on illegal street drugs. You think the cartels care if one of their packers or smugglers get a cough? Now somebody is going to put that up their nose with a rolled up dollar bill and spend it at the store.

Just a few thoughts. I am not going to say I know this will be bad but I feel like if I had made these choices people would have thrown the book at me. Why they thought herd immunity was good makes no sense to me. How are they so sure it'll work? There's just to many variables.
  3. Strawberry Augur

The herd immunity strategy assumes WRONGLY that younger people are not severely affected by this disease.

Younger people are increasingly ending up in ER.

This is an image of a younger person from an ER department in Europe who was infected. The person had no pre-existing condition and was previously in great health.

The lungs have completely started to fill up with fluids and are severely damaged.

[IMG]
  4. Dawdle Augur

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...7637cc-678f-11ea-9923-57073adce27c_story.html

Like I said to many variables. While human to pet transmission has gotten a lot of attention what about human to livestock transmission? No one seems to have even looked into this yet except the Chinese. This is also a lot more likely to result in coinfection.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...wn-viruses-from-sars-to-the-new-coronavirus1/

Shi says, “wildlife trade and consumption are only part of problem.” In late 2016 pigs across four farms in Qingyuan county in Guangdong—60 miles from the site where the SARS outbreak originated—suffered from acute vomiting and diarrhea, and nearly 25,000 of the animals died. Local veterinarians could not detect any known pathogen and called Shi for help. The cause of the illness, called swine acute diarrhea syndrome (SADS), turned out to be a virus whose genomic sequence was 98 percent identical to a coronavirus found in horseshoe bats in a nearby cave.
    “This is a serious cause for concern,” says Gregory Gray, an infectious disease epidemiologist at Duke University. Pigs and humans have very similar immune systems, making it easy for viruses to cross between the two species. Moreover a team at Zhejiang University in the Chinese city of Hangzhou found the SADS virus could infect cells from many organisms in a petri dish, including rodents, chickens, nonhuman primates and humans. Given the scale of swine farming in many countries, such as China and the U.S., Gray says, looking for novel coronaviruses in pigs should be a top priority.
  5. svann Augur

Dark prophecy from the 19th century poet Yeats

The Second Coming
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
    Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
    The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
    When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
    Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
    A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
    A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
    Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
    Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
    The darkness drops again; but now I know
    That twenty centuries of stony sleep
    Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
    Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
  6. Yruc Augur

Hey Ibber!
    Happy belated birthday! Here in Kansas City they did the slow approach. They didn't start anything here until March 11th. The mayor declared a State of Emergency for the City for 21 days and banned gatherings for over 1000, cancelled the NCAA tournament completely. But encouraged people to go out to restaurants and movies. On Friday 3/13 several schools said they would extend spring break for 1 extra week and several companies told employees they could work from home. Then on Saturday (3/14) banned the gathering of 250 and then on Sunday (3/15) extended the state of emergency to 8 weeks and banned gatherings of over 50. On Monday (yesterday 3/16) they have banned gatherings of 10 people, closed all movie theaters / bars / clubs for 2 weeks. All Schools including college are all cancelled or on-line only until April 6th and all restaurants are now closed for dine in and can only serve food through curb side or drive through for the next 2 weeks.

We have reported 9 cases around kansas city. We shall see if they stopped it in time.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  7. FJRQZ Journeyman

Stay safe everyone. Here in Indiana about 45 minutes east of Indianapolis our cities schools from grammar school, to Ball State University have all been shut down for a week now they all started online only classes on Monday, 16th of March. I've spent the past two days going to random stores trying to find toilet paper. Anyways got side tracked the local schools and universities are scheduled to be shut down for two months starting March 16th. The few times I have ventured out during normal rush hour the streets are like a ghost town. The sad thing is for supposedly not to group no more than 50 people in one place the stores them selves are packed. But the roads are empty. It's like people don't care they are socializing in grocery store aisles.
  8. FJRQZ Journeyman

@Yruc

That's basically how they, did it here in Muncie Indiana the only difference is everything here is closed for two months resturants are carry out only. Even Walmart closes at 11pm now. The only store still opened 24 hours is Meijer.
  9. IblisTheMage Augur

Hey smo, good to hear from you, I am relieved to hear that you guys are doing what you can to stay safe.

Numbers of dead pr. day in Italy have been stabilizing around 350 for the last 3 days, which is an indication that the exponential growth was halted some ten days ago in Italy, assuming 12 days incubation time. So lockdown is halting the catastrophe.

In Denmark, our patients in hospitalization has been doubling the last couple of days, to 129 in total; 24 in ICU, with 4 in respirator. We have around 900 respirators nation wide, so we have that margen of safety so far, but we are also acutely aware that if we keep doubling the number of patients in ICU, we will run out.

I have a quiet hope that we locked down early enough. The exponential growth hopefully flattens out in a week (we are a week into lockdown).

The Queen held a speech yesterday. Last time there was a speech out of order from the royal house was in WW2. A nice thing is that this went viral with the youth, whom by nature are the ones most careless.

Best wishes to you and your loved ones,

Iblis
    Yruc likes this.
  10. svann Augur

I went to the supermarket today. The toilet paper aisle was completely empty, but there were a bunch of people there waiting for the morning restock. They looked like zombies. Milling about, walking in circles and bumping into each other. And they all just kept mumbling "larger... laaarger".
    Herf, Elyssanda, IblisTheMage and 2 others like this.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

My daughter has been insisting that the zombie apocalypse is not only real, but coming soon. Perhaps you saw the first real sign. Run! Hide! Don't forget your T.P.!
  12. FJRQZ Journeyman

larger larger?
  13. Zamiam Augur

it has to do with the T3 raids not being unlocked when it was suppose to
  14. IblisTheMage Augur

Unfortunately the daily death toll in Italy went up again; appears to be 475 for wedensday, they are closing in on 3000, with half of those being within the last five days.

To put it in a terrifying perspective, if they stay at that rate, it will take them another six days to get to 6000 dead.

Come on, lockdown, kick in!
  15. Herf Augur

Larger packages of rolls.
  16. Herf Augur

You sir are either an instigator, or a...

[IMG]

...and Cazic Thule is MY GOD, so there :)
    code-zero and Nennius like this.
  17. Whulfgar Augur

Those #'s are indeed high an very unfortunate. However it is highly misleading as well. Dont you find it unusual that with EVERY OTHER disease like this they release an age bracket with a per death total yet they do not with this respitory virus infection ?

Couple things. Italy has an absurd % of elderly as compared to other 1st world nations, and whats more is they have a higher % population living in a single house then most 1st world nations. Both of which are perfect conditions for this particular strand of virus.

I wonder why they are not releasing age brackets with the death tolls ?
  18. Ravanta Suffer Augur

The information is not hard to find really. Having said that there is a real danger in people making false assumptions. I've seen people say they are not worried about it because they are young and healthy. #1 They are wrong. #2 They are worse than insertamoderatedwordforsomethingeveryonehasbutnoonewantstohearfrom. Even if they don't get symptoms, they pass it on to others. #3 They are stupid.
    Herf likes this.
  19. Whulfgar Augur

Hard to find or not. Why do they not post them with the totals ? They do in virtually every single other type of sickness ..

Makes me wonder why they refuse to do so with this ?
  20. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Take off the conspiracy hat. The age range of people that are dying to covid right now is not relevant. The planet doing what it can to mitigate the number of people that do die is what is relevant.
    Herf likes this.