Daybreak - Want new players right now? Ease up F2P restrictions and run some new player promos/packs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Alek, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Alek New Member

Hi Daybreak (Darkpaw),

I am a network admin at a college. Check my IP or contact me if you want e-mail verification.

Long story short, the college is on lockdown and local gamers are looking for something to play. I see posters all over campus for this game and that.

Interest in WoW with our students alone has quadrupled, and F2P MMO's saw a huge spike as well.
    ToR, STO, and LotRO simply exploded in popularity.

I am not seeing much for Daybreak games, other than some DCUO activity.

As an avid EQ supporter, I wonder why you don't run some sort of promotion to get new players at a time when people are looking for an escape and something to do?

It doesn't have to be just for EQ either. Run some advertisement for your most popular games. If I had to judge by our traffic, I figure that would be for DCUO, but I am sure you know what would work best.

Lots of vendors are handing out free tools/games to help pass the time. I believe that you should do something similar and capture a new audience.
  2. Maedhros High King

I normally would be against this, but in a time when the "stay at home" population is going to explode, take advantage, draw some people back in!
    Vumad, Alek and Vexana_Lanys like this.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Send an email to all inactive accounts offering all access for one month. Captive audience right now and maybe help keep folks at home.

Also not usually in "give me free stuff" to make me play but... might be an idea.

And it is not profiteering because you actually would be giving folks something to do as they isolate.
    Jhenna_BB and Fanra like this.
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Lots of companies are offering free stuff now. It is only profiteering if the company signs you up for paying after the free period (that is, "must cancel or we bill you", something I think should basically be always illegal anyway).
    Alek likes this.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Ummm I already said it is not profiteering. Or perhaps better said it is not taking advantage of the situation.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Dude, I was agreeing with you.
  7. Xerzist Augur

A suggestion without an idea is always lacking.

What types of things could Daybreak offer? Everquest by itself is already free-2-play. There is currently an anniversary event with bonus xp? Arguably, that is pretty huge but I'd wager most new players / potential players don't know that its occurring.

Solution: Add two weeks to the exp bonus, send out a targeted ad campaign for new players, profit?? Also add more ore drops to ToV to appease your soon to be frothing at the mouth raid force :oops:

In ToV I seriously doubt anyone would have qualms about more exp ;)
  8. Alek New Member

Ease up F2P restrictions and run some new player promos/packs.

I meant that literally.

Getting up to 70 takes a few days ATM, but the AA restrictions kick in well before that.
    Raise the AA limit for free players to 2 thousand or so.
    Raise the character limit to 3.

Run a sale on a new player pack that gives you the ability to get a J1 Merc, gives you an extra character, and raises the AA limit to 5000.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  9. Manafasto Augur

I found the majority of my old accounts with tech support assistance. My issue is EQ really needs an engine upgrade and allow us to consolidate our accounts. I have so many Verant/SoE/Daybreaker accounts because in the old days I had to make a new one here and there for other games. Simplification needs to be a concern. I like how there is so much to do in EQ but seriously to many botters and I understand because of the age of the product. So currently I am waiting to see what will be done by Darkpaw.
  10. Sobmre Augur

It would make to much sense to do that bro, darkpaw's next move is getting sold "prolly why holly bailed the F out"

Just look at what they did with overseer. something they put out was pretty cool and rewarding and making cash. so they nerf it to trash and lose the new clash flow. does that make sense? F no

I really lol'd when they said it would ruin the collection selling market...... most of the collection items for sale are from bot groups that farm them to buy kronos to keep farming. if they did ruin that market it would be only good for them to sell more sub's since kronos are everywhere and people just buy them from 3rd partys mostly
    Whulfgar likes this.
  11. Zerker1231 Lorekeeper

Here's a bright idea.

All new accounts created during the anniversary get 30 days all access.
    All inactive accounts get 30 days all access.
    Also raise the f2p AA limit to 10k lets be honest most classes max well over 40k anyway.

Maybe it gets new players maybe it doesn't but at least you tried.
    Vumad and Alek like this.
  12. Alek New Member

This is a great idea, although the 10K AA limit is a bit much for free accounts. Maybe if they buy some sort of "AA New Player" pack or something.

But other than that, great idea, and should be easy to implement.

New Player packs can also give them a much needed cash infusion, even if it is short term only.
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Open all accounts. All accounts Gold for 30 days?

Do it. Don't even think about it. Just do it.
    Sithsonn and Whulfgar like this.
  14. Kovachs Lorekeeper

Hey, throw some marketing in too! Get your name out there. Most people have never heard of this 21 year old game. How can they when theyve never seen a ad for it? About 6 months ago I was driving and saw a huge digital billboard advertising WoW's retro classic release or whatever it was. Ask just about any company in the world, they'd never be in business if they didnt market their name some how some way.
    Alek likes this.
  15. Alek New Member

Yep, some marketing and promotion would give them a huge boost, and would help out a lot of scared people looking for something to do.
  16. code-zero Augur

You can play for quite a while before the 250 AA cap on f2p becomes an issue for most classes.....I seriously doubt that someone who is a true EQ newbie dipping their toe in the water would give you more than a blank stare if you start babbling about AA levels.
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Daybreak/Darkpaw is already offering a free Level 85 Heroic Character with All Access.

If they institute some sort of free 'All Access' as some suggest, then they will need to withdraw the free HC offer. Unless that's what everyone on this thread wants (and oddly no mention of the implication). LOL.
  18. Zerker1231 Lorekeeper

See i dont see it like that.

Most classes take 40-50k + AAs right ? You want to draw people in and 250 AAs is sad that doesn't do anything. Give them 10k-15k AAs to build a free character be real once you get 10-15k AAs on your toon you want more right ? At that point they will have to go all access. You do nothing to draw them in at 250 AAs. Or go with your idea create a new player pack that gives them a heroic toon and all access for 30 days at a discounted rate. Marketing is not hard you have to draw people in though and get them interested.
  19. Zerker1231 Lorekeeper

That is true. But you see no marketing at all. Email all accounts that have not logged in for 3+ months etc.
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I received 3 emails on Monday (03/16/2020) from EverQuest (Subject Line: Celebrating 21 Years of EQ) which mentioned the free Heroic Character. I am not sure if inactive accounts received the same email, however.