Denmark in lockdown (not EQ related)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by IblisTheMage, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

One way to look out for one another is to NOT stock up on necessities. You put additional strain on supply chains already maxed out when you go on a run for supplies. It also means someone else is probably NOT getting the basic supplies they need if you "stock up."

Economics assumes that people will make the decision that benefits them without regard to how it impacts other people. That way of thinking might end up making this thing a lot worse than it needs to be.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  2. Enchilada Journeyman

The worst thing is panic and the overreaction on this. And not everything is as it seems. Do not only believe everything and study both sides of the story. Many who have the so-called Corona have a flu-like illness. The test on Covid19 is not reliable at all. Everything will now count more as Corona then something else and therefore measurements are made for safety reasons. The problem is more that at once everybody gets sick and the serious cases cannot be treatened properly if the cummulate and medical personal are not prepared for that. Immunsuppressive people, old people and the very young could have problems beyond the usual flu symptoms. Everything else is hysteria.
  3. svann Augur

Im told that the LDS church has cancelled all services worldwide till further notice.
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

This is true, and San Diego Unified and Los Angeles Unified are going to shut down as of Monday. I work for San Diego Unified and we have been told to expect two weeks off in addition to the week of Spring Break following. Day care issues will abound. Not the first time for us though. We also shut things down during the Cedar fires. It will pass.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

Perhaps you are confusing stocking up with hoarding. We try to always have a months worth of things on hand. Not everything of course. We have a large and well stocked pantry. Fortunately, supply issues have not become a huge issue in California. Even when a store has been out of toilet paper another shipment is not far away.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and svann like this.
  6. smash Augur

ALL danish boarders are about to be closed. Tourists/foreigners who cannot prove they got a legit reason to enter will not be allowed in.
    Whole world are now red, which means corona is a hazard everywhere and
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

US just declared national emergency.
  8. Ravanta Suffer Augur

He didn't stop fondling the microphone every time he stepped back up to the podium. Trumps gotta trump.
  9. Iven the Lunatic

[IMG]

Believe in god !
    Believe in religion !
    Believe in scientists !
    Believe in politicans !
    Believe in money !
    Believe in the existence of viruses !
    Believe in propaganda !
    Believe !
    Herf likes this.
  10. Dawdle Augur

You know we aren't all going to die but you could think about who is at risk. When I read stories like this I wonder whats going on. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/arts/music/berlin-clubs-coronavirus.html

In the EU I think about the refugees, the homeless, those on social benefits living out of hostels. To put yourself in a position where you'd willing spread this is a horrible. People commenting "that while the virus might be unpleasant for older people, if you’re 19, it’s not so bad” are not thinking about the people that will be severely effected by this.

I wonder what will happen now in countries like Venezuela where social inequality had already lead to severe food and water shortages. People are going to suffer, even in the UK. No one accounts for the amount of people that live in temporary work logging or couch hop. In Ireland many people were already less then 3 pay checks from being broke with at least 3k kids documented as being effectively homeless or on the streets because of the lack of housing.

Viruses mutate and there's more then one strain. In Korea where they are literally doing everything they can to trace and quarantine every infection. They are still seeing people being infected. I won't guess at whats going to happen but it would of been so much better for everyone if we could of contained this. Covid 19 and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_acute_respiratory_syndrome are in the same group of viruses and this year might be mild compared to what we see resurface in the future.
  11. Herf Augur

I believe I'll have more wine :)
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I'll believe science and that would include viruses.
  13. svann Augur

from South China Morning Post;
    With the worst of the coronavirus outbreak now hopefully behind them, cities across China are trying to get back to normal, with parks and tourist attractions reopening and travel restrictions being loosened even in Hubei, the province worst hit by the epidemic.
    IblisTheMage and Fanra like this.
  14. Elyssanda Bardbrain

15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

16. IblisTheMage Augur

We are not helped by the fact that R0 is 2-3, where Influenza is about 1,4 (Rate of how many an infected will infect).
  17. Strawberry Augur

I have been in a type of lockdown in a European country. All stores, schools and most factories are closed, large roads are shut off. I think other countries like the US and UK are taking this too lightly.

I heard the UK and some in the US talk about 'herd immunity', that you can somehow infect enough people and don't really need to quarantine. I am not an immunologist, but considering how I see hospitals are getting swamped with patients, this strategy sounds 100% INSANE to me.

I think countries in the beginning of the epidemic have no idea what is coming. You can not just 'sit it out' without large quarantines, ER departments get swamped WITH quarantine, without quarantine it would be completely and utter chaos. If your do nothing, hospitals will not be able to handle it.

And this idea that young people are immune to this virus is completely false. ER departments in Europe have seen increasing number of younger people who need intensive care.
  18. Strawberry Augur

Also, the people who think hospitals can handle this and quarantine is not needed.

Where I live there is quarantine in the city and local hospitals can not handle the flood of patients. Nurses tell in interviews they cry before going into the quarantine room, because they know there are 40 patients and only 20 breathing machines, and they decide before entering which ones they will let die.

Other countries have an amazing advantage, they can see what is going on in other countries, but I notice many still think this is not serious.
    Benito likes this.
  19. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Hon, that's not what herd immunity is. Herd Immunity: the resistance to the spread of a contagious disease within a population that results if a sufficiently high proportion of individuals are immune to the disease, especially through vaccination.
    Marton and svann like this.
  20. Candystore Augur

This has nothing to do with vaccinations, you're not following the news, vaccines are months if not years away.

The herd immunity proposal from the UK revolves around infecting a large part of the UK population to build herd immunity. That's why it has so much critique, it would put enormous strain on hospitals.

[IMG]