Question About "Catching Up" on Live...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by LDEffectsMe, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Redsumm Journeyman

I hear ya. I was gone since VOA. Started mage Jan 9, 2020.

Question 1: New level cap? Oh yes, I am 115 already. Others do it faster. Of course, others do it slower.

Question 2: Cap without knowing anyone? Unless you pay for PLs (xenogy is sick with PLs for kronos), I severely doubt it. I am lucky to have family/friends already near max level/AAs to hang out with.

Question 3: Obtaining gear? Similar to the above two questions; it depends. ToV TS armor is very easy to come by if you have a strong ToV group to get the materials and complete ToV missions (with chest gear along the way) plus a friend(s) who have relevant max tradeskills. If you are by yourself, it could be difficult.

Question 4 [in the background]: Catching up? That is where I have difficulty. So much to do. Players have been obtaining these achievements for years for clickies, bags (seriously, I hurt for bags-I work achievements now just for bags), Hero's AAs, etc. Then there are the other non-achievement content (anguish bp clicky, twincast rkIII, artisan's prize, and a bunch of other stuff) to catch up on. Maybe the Overseer addition is meant to help with this, but that is beyond me at present. The nice thing is that there is also a ton of research content available on these forums and other locations to help get up to speed on the new stuff most critical to quick advancement and to later round out your gaming experience.
  2. LDEffectsMe Augur

Well. That's the mountain I'm looking at in front of me. I can't see the top though, let alone the other side. lol
  3. Vumad Cape Wearer

I very much disagree. Progression should not be auto-granted. There are some things that might need to be auto-granted, but not progression.

Examples such as the heroic AA IF they are necessary to provide balance to play.

Zone access is already granted through TDS (Did that unlock with ToV?). I am okay with moving up zone access through only 1-2 expansions, so in ToV era, only TBL and ROS unlock without progression.

Ability to request raids should never unlock.

ACH should never unlock.

Factions should be default until worked.

Etc

The point is, there is absolutely no reason to bypass progression, or better said, the story line, as there is absolutely no need to do it even when the content is current. The only things that really need to be unlocked are heroic AA when it becomes a balance issue. I'm not even sure zone access needs to be changed. In ToV era, there is really no reason to go to VP except to do progression anyway.
  4. Vumad Cape Wearer

Also, buying the expansion does not auto-grant the AA. You need to be subbed for a month (or krono) while being of a sufficient level for the auto-grant. Earning AA is subscription based, accessing AA is expansion based. You can autogrant everything through TBM and purchase everything through RoS without buying the expansions.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This is pretty much why I stopped helping others as well. They take, they log, most don't even say thank you or chat. They just soak and then log off. I want no part of that anymore.

Finding players willing to put ANY effort into anything at all is a feat in and of itself. Those that do are pretty much snapped up by the high end guilds.

If you actually want to put effort in, and you actually want to learn more about the game, you'll find plenty of opportunity and assistance if you voice such on a live server. If you aren't sure if you want to play on Live and waffle between live and TLP, just stay on Mangler. Live is pretty much filled with grizzled veterans who have little patience for the C-type personalities.
  6. Whulfgar Augur

My question becomes.. what makes a new person to the game .. or.. a returning player .. l

Think.. they have to get progression from expansions 3 or 4 ore more older done ?

You literally outgrow that stuff simply by lvl caping current expansions..

Yes there are certain expansions for things like dicho.. but those are the exception. Not the rule..

So can some one tell me why they feel the need to down every single expansions progression when trying to make a come back ??

That makes zero sense..
  7. Whulfgar Augur

For people trying to say they wanna catch up fast.. literally thee very last thing you should do is each and every expansions progression.. thats just stupid.. why do it at the contents level.. and literally stall yourself out for 2 or 3 weeks..

When in 2 or 3 weeks one could easily be max lvl.. with a decent amount of AA?

The worst thing you could do is each and every expansions progression at each and every expansions max lvl..

Thats just stupid if yo trying to get caught up fast.. especially since when you get current max lvl.. you could just go back threw all them old expansions and plow it all 1 day per expansion.
  8. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Most of the t1 tradeable gear sells for so little, or just flat out ROTS, that anyone that can get to 111 can get decent gear quickly.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  9. Zamiam Augur

I dont believe TDS unlocked progression with ToV release .. still is req afaik .. maybe in april ?
  10. Bigstomp Augur

The group zones still require progression.
    Vumad likes this.
  11. LDEffectsMe Augur

From the outside looking in, it *seems* like if the game is at a point where AA need to get auto granted, it's time for an AA squish and to remove several ranks of each one, but make each rank have a bigger effect. Example:

Instead of Combat Fury having 25 or whatever total ranks and Shadow of Luclin having 3 ranks of it that cost 2, 4, 6 AA... Give Shadow of Luclin one rank that gives the effect of having all 3 of the old ranks. Then Combat Fury itself might only have 3-5 TOTAL ranks.

I know for a lot of EQ players they probably would go up in arms about something they worked for being "dumbed down" but I'd rather have the goal be easier to attain by working for it than need for the game to hand it to me.
  12. Cadira Augur

This sounds like a great idea but I'm sure it would negatively affect the scourge of eq....err uhm, tlp, and therefore not happen unless they make it just take effect after a certain expansion unlock... If that's even possible.
  13. Velisaris_MS Augur

The fact is that EVERY change/fix in this game is now prefixed with "How does this affect TLP?" and that's just BAD all the way around.

TLP servers have become the cancer killing the game since every decision now seems to revolve around them.
    Conq, Bigstomp and Cadira like this.
  14. Funky Augur

that goes both ways... a lot of the changes that are done to TLP (that are fixes for things 15 years old) cause problems with things on live....

also why most of the live server population wishes the TLP servers/updates were separated from live servers.. where changes to live or changes to TLP do not effect the other.
  15. Whulfgar Augur

Gear is the weakest concern for catching up. Levels and aa are the keys
  16. Velisaris_MS Augur

And that proves my point exactly...it's all about the TLP now and to heck with the real servers and how they'll be affected.
  17. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Sweety, TLP are the real servers. Especially next year this time when Selo and Phinny catch up and pass ya. =)
  18. Captain Video Augur

If you really want to feel like you've earned everything, as opposed to starting at 85 and auto-granting all your AAs, you can always roll a level 1, do the tutorial, and then go to Crescent Reach and do the Hero's Journey questline. Takes a few weeks on average, and you'll finish at 85 or so, and with a sense of accomplishment. It will also give you a view of an era of the game where things were being transitioned from the "classic" rules you grew up with to the "modern" rules in play today. I toss this out every time I see one of these threads, because basically nobody else does. :) There are a few places along the way where you will need to box one or two alts on free accounts in order to unlock group tasks, but then you'll have to do that anyway if you intend to solo progression past 85.
  19. Triconix Augur

TLPs can travel in the future??
  20. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Good luck with that.