For the Anniversary... New Race/Class Combos?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by LDEffectsMe, Mar 1, 2020.

1. LDEffectsMe Augur

For the 21st Anniversary of EverQuest, could we get some new Race/Class combos to spice it up a little? Ones that would make sense, of course. And if you do (and could) please integrate them into the home cities so they can be released on TLP servers and change things up on a future go-around. Here are my suggestions...

- Barbarian Paladin/Cleric (The Beastlords can already worship Mithaniel Marr for some reason. Pretty sure that was a mistake and it was supposed to be The Tribunal all along.)
    - Erudite Monk (With as scholarly as these guys are, I'm surprised the ones in Paineel haven't begun training as monks already under Cazic-Thule, like the Iksar. Also has the appropriate and required Luclin robe graphics.)
    - Froglok Beastlord (They're the only Race that can be a shaman but can't be a Beastlord.)
    - Froglok Magician/Enchanter (Not sure why these options didn't exist when they got Wizards/Necromancers.)
    - Half Elf Cleric (They can already be Paladins and Rangers/Druids.)
    - Half Elf Shadow Knight (They can be Paladins, Rogues that worship Bertoxxulous, and Warriors that worship Innoruuk. So they can already belong to the Corrupt/Dismal factions.)
    ^ Half Elf anything wouldn't require new Guildmasters or starting locations. Just copy/paste the Human tables.
    - Halfling Bard (Hobbits sing and dance... Why not?)
    - High Elf Warrior (Seems like it should be a valid option to be a non-magic using High Elf.)
    - High Elf Ranger (Bound to be some expert bowmen among the High Elves, but don't see them strong enough with nature to be Druids. No more of a stretch than a Wood Elf Beastlord with a Treant for a warder.)
    ^The above High Elf combinations could start with their forest cousins in their guilds.
    - Human / Drakkin Shaman and/or Beastlord (Most versatile Race in EQ. Why not?)
    ^Shamanistic humans could start in Halas among their Barbarian cousins.
    - Iksar Berserker (Just feels right.)
    - Iksar Cleric (Existed before in the lore. A revival would be nice after 20 years.)
    - Iksar Rogue (There's literally Iksar Marauders everywhere in Kunark.)
    - Vah Shir Paladin/Cleric (On the old Sullon Zek Deity Alliance server, Vah Shir worshipped Tunare. It would be neat if a small group of those Tunare worshipping cats still existed and trained as Paladins/Clerics. But I realize this one is more of a stretch than the others.)
    - Wood Elf Paladin (Could start in Felwithe with their cousins, as they worship the same Deity. Don't see them as Clerics though, because that would balance the High Elf Ranger but no High Elf druid idea.)
    - Wood Elf Shaman (They're the only Race that can be a Beastlord now and can't be a shaman. Yet, as a Beastlord they use Shaman magic already.)

I basically went down every Race in EverQuest and strongly considered what Race/Class combos I could see working in the game considering the current limitations. For instance, a Troll could never be an Intelligence caster due to the fact there is no Luclin robe graphics for Trolls... It would create a systematic problem. (I know it would be workable with Hero's Forge, but I don't personally think any class should require that to look appropriate.) I also avoided adding Monks to Races that didn't have a robe graphic, since a lot of times Monks end up in robes on TLP servers.

I know that to a lot of Live players new Race/Class combos don't matter. But with the Progression cycle being that we see a new TLP server annually and players rush to start all over again... I think it could help change things up and not make it feel like such a drag if we could play new Race/Class combos once in a while.

Heck, I would even be excited if new Race/Class deity selections were made available at this point. It's clear EQ1 will never get a new Race/Class ever again at this point... I think this is as close as it can get to making something feel fresh. Just my two copper.
    Gorehammer likes this.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I think it's too late to get them in for this anniversary.
    I think a vah shir druid/ranger would make more sense than cleric/pally as they are already close to nature and tracking and foraging would make a lot of sense for a cat.
    Cadira and LDEffectsMe like this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I personally think a race must have both parent classes available as a pre-requisite for any Hybrids of those two classes being available, I've thrown a few hybrid suggestions of my own in for fun.

Paladin - Warriors & Clerics
    Shadow Knight - Warrior & Necromancer
    Ranger - Warrior & Druid
    Geomancer - Warrior & Mage

Beastlord - Shaman & Monk
    Spiritstalker - Shaman & Rogue
    Ambusher - Druid & Rogue
    Stickfighter - Druid & Monk

Shadowblaster - Wizard & Rogue
  4. LDEffectsMe Augur

You mean like every Race that can be a Beastlord, except Iksar?
    Barbarians can't be Monks.
    Ogres can't be Monks.
    Trolls can't be Monks.
    Vah Shir can't be Monks.
    Wood Elves can't be Monks.

o_O

Frogloks can be Shaman and Monks, but can't be Beastlords.

Additional Races and/or Classes would be cool, but I was told ages ago by the devs that they're impossible with the current code base, we're limited to 16 of each. So Race/Class combos is our only realistic option.
    Vumad likes this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Yes I do, all those races should get Monks, my logic is simple, it is a parent class of the Beastlord.

Same logic would justify High Elf Warriors.
    LDEffectsMe likes this.
  6. LDEffectsMe Augur

I would agree with you, if it weren't for the fact that none of those Races have a Luclin robe model. Monks need to be able to wear the Robe of the Lost Circle. So at least I can understand why those Races can't be those Classes.

I would mostly agree with you... But I do believe they could get Half Elf Shadow Knights and Clerics in for the anniversary. It should just require updating 3-4 tables and running a tool to add them on the "Class Specific" items. This one should be much easier than the others because they would start exactly where a Human Shadow Knight or Human/Elf Cleric would start, with the same newbie note and shirt*. Rashere explained the process for adding Drakkin to items years ago... I imagine it didn't get any harder over the years.
  7. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Dwarf doodad.
  8. Cadira Augur

The fact that there are no vah shir rangers is nothing short of astounding...cats are literal hunters.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'm also suprised they aren't followers of Bristlebane the amount of mischief they get into and the annoying habit they have of knocking things off shelves just because they can!
    Cadira, LDEffectsMe and Skuz like this.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You already have all sorts of race/class combos its called ILLUSIONS!
    I don't get using Dev time for a new race/class combo. Please let's concentrate on content.
  11. LDEffectsMe Augur

It should literally take a couple of hours at most to implement a new Race/Class combo for people that are intimately familiar with the development tools. (It doesn't take third party server devs an extreme amount of time to do, I expect the pros with the official tools to be even faster than them.) And a change like this would last the for the lifetime of EverQuest, unlike other "content" that the locusts would consume and move hungrily forward never to revisit it again.

Just because something doesn't interest you and wouldn't be valuable to you doesn't mean it doesn't have value to others. Something like new Race/Class combos, if done correctly, could make a new TLP server have a fresh feel. That is, if they don't lock those Race/Class combos until the server reaches Torment of Velious. :rolleyes: And I'm certain there's folks on Live that would play any new Race/Class combo that was introduced, too.

There's not nearly as many illusion items on TLP servers, and a change like this would effect both TLP and Live if done in the way I'm requesting. On the server I'm currently playing on, all the "content" is done for longer than the server will last... And if Holly Longdale's interview on The EverQuest Show is to be believed, TLP is half the player base now. So changes like this are the only way we get new "content" to play with.
  12. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I know one thing, if they ever do gnome monks or beastlords... everyone will have one...literally.
    Mazame likes this.
  13. code-zero Augur

hmm...pretty sure I don't have a gnome...anything...nor an ogre or troll for that matter. Now if they'd only open all classes to Drakkin and allow Drakkin at the start of a TLP that'd be pretty nice
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Where can I get a Vah Shir illusion for my druid ?
    Nolrog and Vumad like this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

errr no.
    Nolrog likes this.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

My favorite thing is when players tell us how long it will take Devs to do things like new player races. Willing to bet it is no where near as simple as some thing.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

From an enchanter. Project Illusion. Have the persistant iluusion aa.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And you are correct just because I think it is not a good use of Dev resources does not mean others do not feel differently. But I was just speaking for me.
  19. code-zero Augur

As someone who used stickfigures up until the heroes forge stuff came along I really fail to see what's the big draw for a lot more race/class combos.

Oh sure I understand the min/max types wanting Ogre frontal melee stun immunity for their enchanter but gnome anything besides tinkering is baffling to me
  20. Mazame Augur

Ummm unless it Gnome Beastlord then I vote no.