Producer's Letter: Anniversary and Overseer!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Feb 27, 2020.

1. dreamweaver Community Manager

[IMG]

Greetings fair adventurers!

Time for an update on the immediate Norrathian horizon! We’ve been furiously planning the year, including expansions, holidays, and the future.

Can you believe EverQuest is entering its third decade? 21 years old this year! For this year’s anniversary in mid-March this year, we are releasing a new feature that has been a passion project for us that should enhance the lives of many around Norrath. We call it “Overseer.”

As an Overseer, you will be able to send out agents that you earn on Overseer Quests to gain rewards. This new system is designed to help players catch up to current content by giving access to rewards that are found in past content. Its goal is to help you build up your characters faster. Overseer is accessible starting at level 85 and with its launch we will grant all members a free level 85 heroic character. More details on Overseer will be coming very soon.

What about new progression servers? Not today! But we are planning to launch in late spring/early summer. We have some work to do on tech and game health overall as well as fully rounding out the rule sets before we can launch them. Part of this work includes tackling some server merges between now and late spring to position us well for new progression servers. We’ll give more detail when we have it, of course.

Forever spells and swords, friends,

Holly “Windstalker” Longdale
  2. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

So, I'm assuming this is the same type of Overseer feature that's also in EQ2? If so, woot! :p
  3. dreamweaver Community Manager

It's going to be similar but definitely uniquely EQ!
  4. Numiko Augur

the inference in the last paragraph is TLP severs will be merged? but not live ones?

and will the overwatch system be on TLP servers that are past level 85 and have Heroic characters unlocked?
  5. dreamweaver Community Manager

I don't think that's the inference, but once I have more information about the server merges I will be letting everyone know.

and yes if the TLP has unlocked SoD and the character is 85/Heroic characters unlocked.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Heroic Characters don't unlock till CoTF, not SoD.
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Thank you for the update!

A few questions:

1. Will F2P accounts qualify for the free Heroic Character?

2. You mention that Overseer will grant rewards from past content. Could we get a sampling of possible rewards? Will rewards include items such as Tears of Alaris, Lingering Essence of Cazic Thule, and armor ornaments (Arx Mentis)?

*Some of the criticism of Overseer in EQ2 is that it feels too heavy on RNG for key items (recipes).

Edit: It's kind of tough to level the Tears of Alaris with new max level (need to acquire tablets). Hope this could be looked at.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  8. dreamweaver Community Manager

Yup, but both things have to be completed on the server for Overseer to be accessible from what was explained to me.
  9. dreamweaver Community Manager

1. I don't believe so but I will double check to be 100% sure.

2. There are some previews on Test, but if you aren't on there you're going to have to wait until live.
    Benito likes this.
  10. Numiko Augur

last time they gave away free Heroic Characters my silver accounts got them too, but of course they may have changed the rules for this round.
  11. dreamweaver Community Manager

Yeah I am double checking because I remember that being in place last time :)
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

No new anniversary quests and missions for this year?

If not does this mean we will have new legacy/hardcore heretage later in the year?
  13. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Server merges are a big deal.

I’m guessing the ones that make the most sense are:

Ragefire + Lockjaw
    Phinigel + Fippy

Dunno how you’d merge Coirnav, Agnarr, Mangler or Selo without enraging the population entirely though.

Regarding the Overseer/Heroic Character - Does an account need to already have a level 85+ character in order to get the Heroic character? It’s sounding like you get the Heroic Character via completing an Overseer quest which will require 85? Is this correct?
  14. Numiko Augur

since they are giving away free heroic characters with this, everyone will have access to a 85 character. you can apply the heroic boost to a level one on a brand new account.
  15. Aneuren Tempered Steel

Alright, I admit that I give you a fair amount of criticism but even as an extremely-long-time TLP player who hasn't gone over level 75 since Fippy (well except for a short sojourn on Vox), this fascinates me.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Zandez Lorekeeper

Sure hope to see some server merges on live as well?
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Riou EQResource

It would be surprising if it is TLP only
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  18. HoodenShuklak Augur

Getting hyped for the new pvp server!!
  19. Helgate New Member

They need to do something about the level curve post 85+ on the live servers. I've tried twice to solo my way through and it's just boring as hell. It's a virtual ghost town at those levels so getting a group doesn't happen and the paths to leveling solo - frankly suck. I'm not asking for people to drop everything and PL noobs. However, if you want to see new blood on old servers, you're gonna need to give them a way to get to everyone else by a quicker path or a more interesting path. Till then, I'll hang out on the TLP's
    Indrigoth, Montag and Hdizzle like this.
  20. Herf Augur

What about old progression servers? How about doing something for them?
    Skuz likes this.