Just wondering......

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Leloes, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Leloes Lorekeeper

I've never played EQ for any amount of time because it just seems to be too much. So I was wondering if it is possible to solo in EQ now? I know what most of you are going to say.....WHAT!!! This is a MMO....Why would you want solo?? Well, the main reason is because I'm disabled, I've tried raiding in other games but always ended up just causing the other players more problems than I was helping them. So can I solo or not?
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

It all depends upon your level of patience. The short answer is yes, most classes can solo, and all classes can play solo+mercenary. The efficiency/effectiveness varies by class and how much time you put in to bettering your character(s). Some classes will be easier to play solo or with a mercenary, but that may not translate into being fun to you, so try them all for at least a little while if you want to give it a go.
    Leloes likes this.
  3. Leloes Lorekeeper

So, can mages be soloed?
  4. Qbert Gallifreyan

Yes, pet classes are among those that are the most effective soloers.
    Leloes likes this.
  5. Leloes Lorekeeper

Okay so which mage has a pet?
  6. Leloes Lorekeeper

Oh, and which server would you recommend?
  7. Qbert Gallifreyan

I can't really help with that, perhaps someone else might chime in.

I play on Brekt, which is one of the three least-populated servers. In some ways that might make it good for you: it is free trade, meaning almost everything is tradeable, and; because of the low population tons of stuff is always open for you to play in (so if you stick to your plan of soloing, not much competition for camps, etc.). The biggest negative is that if you ever change your mind about wanting to raid/regularly group, there isn't any raiding and you can't transfer off of the server.
    Leloes likes this.
  8. Buri Augur

All Mages have pets, Mage is a specific class of Intelligence caster. Other classes with good pets are Necromancer and Beastlord. There are more classes with pets, but these are the ones that are most effective for soloing. You would typically hire a mercenary (non-player character which now belongs to you, you just have to keep paying its wages) to heal it, which we call "moloing"
    Xegony is a good server with lots of people.
    Leloes likes this.
  9. Leloes Lorekeeper

I doubt I'll change my mind about raiding/grouping. Like I said before I'm disabled and I have a bit of trouble reacting as fast as others so raiding/grouping is out for me. I tried playing WoW and raiding and it was a total mess! I couldn't keep up with the other players so most of them got angry with me.....not much fun having others yelling at you when you are doing your best and they just don't understand your situation. So I gave up and started looking for a MMO I could possibly solo.
  10. Leloes Lorekeeper

Thanks appreciate your input!
  11. Br3ad New Member

Shadow knight have the best of the two worlds..

Powerful pet that beats necro's pets.
    Powerful DPS that outperforms warrior or berzerker.

An ogre SK is really made for solo.

Yes, mages are fun but can be slow at leveling.

Vox server US is kinda ok.

Find a guild with buffers, gotta love em.
  12. Aanuvane Augur

If you haven't really started playing much yet, don't skip to tutorial. It's a painless investment to try out a couple of different classes. You can level just about anything to 10 in under a couple hours time (solo/molo and before anyone else jumps in - yes, I can take a new character to 10 in under an hour, but I have the benefit of both knowing the game and having a buffing army on an alternate account :) ) and it would at least give you a sense of what some of the classes might be able to do.
    Annastasya likes this.
  13. Annastasya Augur

i don't know who this Br3ad fellow is above who posted but he is badly misinformed.

Shadowknights are a hybrid class, part Warrior, Part necromancer, and they are not as good at the pure jobs as those classes. They are fairly good solo classes, but highly gear dependent and require a lot of knowledge of their abilities to solo well. They are great group tanks (or pullers), and adequate raid tanks with some niches they fulfill best.

Necromancer pets are FAR superior to Shadowknight pets at the same level, in every way.

Berserkers have FAR superior dps than Shadowknights at every level above maybe level 20. It's not even close.

The primary pet classes Mage, Necromancer and Beastlord are some of the best solo classes. Other excellent solo play classes are Wizard, Druid, Enchanter, Ranger, Shaman.

All the classes can solo, at certain times in the leveling process, or under certain conditions but in general getting a group of any size together, is going to be way more efficient.

By what you've described of your physical situation- i would recommend trying a Necromancer. They can operate well in a group, but will never "need" a group to make good progress if gaining experience is all you want to do. They don't require high speed reactions or constant button pressing to be very effective.

Be aware that much of the game will not be available to you as a solo character, however there is plenty of content for you. .
  14. Aanuvane Augur

I would also add that for that "non-player mercenary" get a tank until you're up to the 50s at least. You can molo pretty effectively with a tank merc and make sure you use /ooc in PoK or the Guild Lobby to try to secure a temperance and a damage shield if nothing else. You'll bet set for a while...

Oh and if you're not really familiar with EQ, after the tutorial, I suggest sticking to the Serpent's Spine progression for at least a while. You can get a lot of information on alla's.
    Annastasya likes this.
  15. Br3ad New Member

Well.. my pal is a shadow knight..XXI EM

Im a Necro XXI EM

Both same level..his pet dps much higher, and can tank far superior than my pet.

Beats me..but it is how it is.
  16. Qbert Gallifreyan

Ya, well, something is off in your understanding, because pet focus doesn't even work for sk so I'm not sure why you brought that up.
    woeofsorrow likes this.
  17. Br3ad New Member

Just checking after newbs.

Either way, his sk pet is a lot stronger then my necros..tank and dps.
  18. Annastasya Augur

Just making sure newbs dont get misinformation. Does your friend's shadowknight pet have pet gear? buffs? At the same level, Necromancer pets are far better than shadowknight pets. There's no debate here, feel free to look up the spells and statistics of the pet created. Frankly shadowknight pets are pretty pathetic until you get up around level 80ish.

Before a certain tier they get one rounded by anything and everything. They get better near the high end of the game but still cannot hold a candle to Necromancer pets, which can tank mobs of their own level. Try that with an SK pet, it will poof with a quickness.
    Aanuvane likes this.
  19. Dahaman Augur

Absolutely.

Play thru the tutorial first, just to get the feel of the game. That will help you with a lot of the commands. However, know that EQ is VERY dependent on outside info. This info can be gained via asking in a chat channel. It can also be gained via google and looking at EQ leveling guides. Never be afraid to ask a question in the game.

After the tutorial, I'd advise you to restart a "first" character. Start the character in Crescent Reach. Start working on the Hero's Journey quest line, which gives you an immense content selection to consume that is readily presented to you. There is a TON of other content to do, but research that on the side.

Start on a server that has a good population. This will help you get better answers and a functioning economy can greatly add to the fun of the game.

Notables:
    Firiona Vie - 150% XP of a typical live server, free trade (most items), great population
    Xegony - 100% live server XP, has a really big new person and casual guild that is great for casual (seek out... guild leader Corwyn Lionheart.. I think the name is)

For that first character, here are a few suggestions:

- Shadow Knight (this is a great in-their-face melee solo, good utility, easy self healing, can take a beating)
    - Magician (great solo, great pet, cloth armor damage caster with a pet, easiest on button mashing)
    - Beastlord (this is a melee solo, great pet, has a lot more utility than a mage, mini healer = fast recovery)
    - Necromancer (great pet, more finesse than a mage, avid self healer, good utility)

Other classes eventually become dependent on mercenaries and/or extra skill and timing. With mercenaries (molo play style), those classes do become much more viable.

- Shaman (best melee buffs, great debuffs, the most forgiving healer solo/molo)
    - Druid (requires mobility to solo well, more utility and mobility than a shaman)
    - Ranger (good melee solo early, decent molo mid game)
    - Monk (great melee damage, molo with cleric to good effect)
    (and others too to various effect)

I'd stick with one of the top 4 above to start, based on your preferred flavor.
  20. Scorrpio Augur

You know, all things considered, if you want to solo, and don't think you have the dexterity to multibox, EQ might be not the best option.

I strongly recommend Lord of the Rings Online. The game has some issues plaguing the endgame (level range 106-130) but it should take you a good 2-3 years to reach that if you concentrate on making the most of existing content.
    Choose a heavy armor class. Guardians are quite study and Beornings are also in a pretty good spot. Captains are strong but as support class they lack DPS which can make things feel like a slog. Do not pick Warden if you lack dexterity (I main a 130 Warden)
    You can literally go from 1 to 130 and experience the full epic storyline without ever grouping with another player.