Server Discussion - Non Truebox rule set.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by dreamweaver, Oct 25, 2019.

1. birisu Elder

I think Ragefire still has a couple of guilds raiding despite it rough start so a new server with better rules from the beginning should have even higher retention
  2. Kenshin11 Journeyman

I feel like Truebox was only a minor success. Those that really wanted to box huge groups still found a way. It seems like Truebox code can also be beaten by using VM's or other 3rd party software. I say either make a server that allows boxing, or make a server that doesn't allow it and hire CSR's to enforce it. I suggested in another thread the no box server be a double subscription fee server to make up for lost revenue from boxing.
    Dulu likes this.
  3. Fraggly Augur

The guilds on Ragefire have no interest in West coast players that work regular jobs. Hell i kind of like my day job even, so if i need to stay until 6PM i typically don't care. I can't raid without being late everyday, missing the first bosses forever, causing the poor guy on window to move around mages and then fit me in to the lineup already going, etc etc.

1-2 boxers might not like it, sure that is true. I don't really care though because when i get home at 9PM eastern and can't get into the game until maybe 11PM eastern the game is dying for the night. If i can pop up with my 3-4 (which would realistically end up at 6 sooner than later) i can play and bring in other people as they pass through.

While i agree truebox led to Phinny being successful, just as much did AoC contribute. Imagine only raiding an end zone once a month because you are rotating it to be friendly? Even worse, getting boxed out by the hardcores that have infinite playtime and never seeing endgame? Standard AoC seems like it should get a chance.

Trueboxers seems to be jiving with Mangler atm. Run a Standard and PvP-Truebox release to shut both of us crowds up if they crash and burn. I'm sure the ship jumpers from Mangler would end up on one for a year at least while it might also help Mangler get through to OoW with the diehard no boxers, then they can go right back to Truebox only.
  4. HoodenShuklak Augur

What about turning off truebox at level 75? That's actually more in line with "classic" in the sense that eq was a dying game, computers got better, and boxing became more prevalent and even around this time we had popular emulators that allowed boxing.

Shards of dalaya was a very popular e mu that allowed 2 boxing, for example.

By "flipping the switch" to turn off truebox I really don't see much blowback. At least on selo and what I hear about phinny (only truebox servers post 75 I believe) the community is largely cooperative and racing is entirely over.to put it bluntly, these tlps aren't going to suddenly feel crowded if 20 6 boxers suddenly show up.

The boost to player population and krono consumption seems like a win win.

A classic launch with no truebox is what we all would agree is toxic, so does it make sense to fix a temporary problem with a permanent solution?
    Aneuren likes this.
  5. Aneuren Tempered Steel

I would love this. It kind of stinks that all of my friends and I, who passionately argued for non-truebox for the 20th anniversary, but still ended up subbing for this entire time, will miss out because nobody could be bothered to listen last year - unless we completely abandon all of the people who have now come to rely on us, which is not something we are willing to do.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  6. markkk Lorekeeper

the most popular servers have been the ones starting in classic eq lots of players love racing to lvl 50 and the commonland tunnel,if you want a full set of buffs you can usually get it there after a few days of the server going live,you can trade gear buy and sell and its a great feeling of community,and of course we would love a truebox one and a non truebox with aoc.
  7. Fraggly Augur

Not a personal fan of the turn off truebox method, especially at 75. Getting through DoDH arcs during the 70 slog would be insane for people who can't play early east coast times. If there were any time to turn it off it would make sense to do it at 70 or GoD release IMO. Truebox always takes a hit at this point in time as the classic-luclin crowd ghosts everyone.

Why not just have a standard server from the start so people don't need to play catch up or run the boxes they will want individually through the entire time? Why is the truebox crowd so against a resetting server when they so obviously only enjoy the early eras?
  8. Aneuren Tempered Steel

It's kind of weird. I've come to learn that there are a lot of people that join these servers because they legitimately want to get further into the EverQuest eras, but something happened on a prior TLP server that forced them to take a break from the game. They don't want to go back to their old TLP characters, because they really do want to see the content in era. So many of my guildmates have told me how something in real life forced them to break from EverQuest, and each of them have told me they are eager to see any of several different eras that they missed.

A lot of people are with me on Mangler that hate Truebox. It's a recurring complaint. But the prospect of once again doing all the content we've just been through, just to be rid of Truebox, is a daunting ask. They don't want to go through all that content again, they want to see what they missed the last time around. They want to see the new content, they want to do it in era, and the only way to do it was on the servers that once again released with Truebox - despite tons of feedback on these forums asking for a non-Truebox server for the 20th anniversary. For all of those players, "flipping the switch" would be a huge boon. The sooner the better, especially if it was done at a time that the mass boxers were switching to a brand new server to maximize their krono generation.

But sure, there is also the crowd that just wants to relive classic EverQuest as many times as they can. I can totally understand that impulse as well. Classic EverQuest has an appeal that many people just can't turn down.
    HoodenShuklak and Fraggly like this.
  9. Vexn Elder

Probably the same reason why people don't wanna see a PvP server. People have this idea that EverQuest should only be played their way, and if you enjoy it differently you're "wrong".

They'll never admit that though, they'll just claim its bad for the game, won't last, or waste of the Devs time.
    Fraggly likes this.
  10. Fraggly Augur

If Mangler flipped as some sort of experiment, and did it very soon, i admit i would probably join in because i personally am not a huge fan of the classic slog. The devs have already stated they would never change a rule like truebox midway through without prior announcement so the folks there don't get screwed into something they never wanted though.
    Aneuren likes this.
  11. Brunlin Augur

or go completely the opposite direction and launch a Truebox ruleset with auto-follow disabled. People could still box but this would diminish lots of people boxing
    PVPme likes this.
  12. Artacan New Member

This is supposed to be a MMORPG (massively multiplayer online role-playing game). When did it become a MSORPG (massively single player online role-playing game)? I play Everquest to play with other real people. I hate when I join a group and find out there are only two players in a full group. Zero interest in a non truebox server.
  13. Fraggly Augur

It sounds like Mangler, Coirnav, Selo, Agnarr, Miragul, or Phinigel would be a great fit for you Artacan. You should consider playing on one of those servers and staying on one of those servers if a standard ever exists again. There are plenty of choices to keep your interest. Take a look at any of these servers outside Mangler and tell me how massively multiplayer they actually are. Do you actually just want a new server each year so you can play the simplest eras of this game on repeat?

Some of the best moments I've had are smashing up with 6+ other boxers and having a ball without unannounced AFKs, people half paying attention to the game, 20% uptime on ADPS stuff. Farming goats, running 2.0's for chest loots, DoN progression...finding other people who play late night west coast time that box is the best.

I hate it when a person gets "their loot" and then proceeds to never go anywhere near helping other people again, 2.0's being a perfect example if DoN progression isn't a better one. On truebox you either are there for the initial rush or spend weeks trying to get people together to do what should take days. Never came across a boxer when i played ragefire that didn't want to help for things like this.
    code-zero likes this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

code-zero and Fraggly like this.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

Why? I did it for years in original PoP through VoA and I do it now on Phinny. It's not hard. Hell, it's not even expensive anymore.
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

That's an old, very worn out argument.
  17. Excruciator_Test New Member

18. Stagentti Augur

People started boxing when the population in the game dropped off.

On most, if not all, of the live servers there's no grouping until the high levels.
  19. likestobox Lorekeeper

How about this..
    - 2 Servers
    -1 truebox
    -1 non truebox
    -classic start
    - 3 month unlocks(1 in classic)

Top 3 guild on each server get transfered to a new server for first 30 days of that expansion. Winners get bragging right until next expansion. Prove once and for all that boxers are all around better player's.
  20. birisu Elder

All this would do is annoy people playing legitimately while people who use certain programs don't even use the in-game auto follow
    oldkracow and code-zero like this.