Not A Bug official discord is a mess

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by globeadue, Feb 25, 2020.

1. globeadue Lorekeeper

what a sad pile of excrement the official discord server is currently

Some nitwit turned on phone validation to post - as someone with a voip line - i can't validate and now can't use the server. I was able to post since it launched, so this is something new in the last few days.

All your admins are blocking @ messages so I can't contact them about this

it does nothing that these forums don't already do, in fact, its a million times worse with all the barrens chat going on it

It's like no one bothered to look at all the everquest related discord channels and do some research to see what people are using discord for with everquest, just went and replicated these forums into some AOL messenger style chat rooms from the '90s.

Funny, I started off by going to the discord to make a suggestion,
    for the server specific chat channels, why not repeat the server globals into them.

Example: Xegony, queen of air was just killed by bob, please congratulate them. repeated into the discord channel.
    Vexana_Lanys likes this.
  2. Baldur Augur

You don't have a cell phone? I didn't know there still existed people without a cell phone, good for you.
  3. Qbert Gallifreyan

Eh, I don't have one either :)
  4. Mukkul Augur

At my job, they recently turned on 2-factor authentication, and it's caused endless difficulties for people who weren't issued company mobile phones. It's a real problem, and blaming someone for not having a mobile phone does nothing to solve it.
  5. Baldur Augur

Did you see any blame in my post? I even gave him praise, and that was honest praise, I was not being sarcastic.

I thought it was odd that discord even has the phone verification option. I was a little shocked when I first saw it. I guess it's to try and weed out spam/problem accounts?
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

A few years ago Social Security initiated a 2 - step verification process to sign into your Social Security account online. It required a code be sent to the user via cell phone text message.

They discontinued it within a year. They found it was not a feasible method of communication with the millions of Americans who have to sign into the site. They now send it thru email.

If they could not get it to work then why do these other companies persist in trying to make it work for them? Even if it works on the company side the process has been known to break when new versions of I-Phones are released.
  7. Sancus Augur

These are the options that Discord provides for moderation:

[IMG]

Unfortunately there's a limit to what dreamweaver can do to moderate the Discord, which in the past week or so has required substantially more moderation than I would consider normal. I'm sure there are other aspects of his job he needs to attend to beyond that, and it's not reasonable to expect him to be moderating 24/7 even if there weren't. I suspect the currently elevated volume of messages will pass in time, after which point such stringent restrictions likely will be unnecessary.

I really like the idea of an official Discord, and I do appreciate the snippets of (more unfiltered) developer interaction. Unfortunately, the nature of Discord affords less control and less of a filter than forums do, and some people have been taking advantage of that recently.
    Kuvani likes this.
  8. Fredescu Augur

Yeah, I believe it's so permabans stick.