EQ PVP Big Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hane, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aneuren Tempered Steel

I know. Do you know how many generations of TLP players have asked for the enforcement alone? Completely up front - I am wholly against Truebox, it's a perversion of what EverQuest has been all these years. But I still see the countless posters here begging for enforcement, even getting forum banned for naming and shaming the information that could help enforcement.

No coding needed for this, but it hasn't been done this entire time and people are actively punished when they (misguidedly against the forum rules) try their best to help enforcement. Meanwhile, Truebox has only punished small boxers this entire time, while mass boxers that nobody really is thrilled with continue to prosper. It's high time to accept Truebox for what it is - a failed experiment that only hurts servers as they age.

Moreover, the development team is probably still burned from when they increased their server presence to try to police the rotation agreements that were set up on Ragefire and Lockjaw. Active enforcement is a big ticket, controversial, ask.

Some of your requests that might "require" coding would probably not really be coding, just removing coding that's already been created (picks for example).

The teams concept would require potentially multiple iterations of coding.

These are all things that take Darkpaw development time (and enforcement time) away from existing TLP and Live servers. I've mentioned this before, those players will come brigading against any developer time spent on a PVP TLP.

For what it's worth, I think team pvp play is probably the most interesting kind that EverQuest ever had. But it's a bigger ask than you think it is. And any development time for a PVP server would probably be better spent fixing things like zone hopping and disconnects, or any legacy AE/pvp interactions, though I'm not really sure what could even be done for things like that.

Counter question - would the PVP community be willing to play on a server that offered specific PVP picks, with a voluntary but not hardcoded team play upheld by the PVP playerbase?
  2. Brazy Augur

lol this guy. the most popular sever and only TLP servers to make it late into EverQuest are truebox servers but it failed?!?! lolololol

make our EQ PVP TLP a truebox!! we don't want all them cheats on our precious pvp box. thx darkpaw
  3. Aneuren Tempered Steel

Anyone who ignores the absolute contribution that agents of change had in making those servers successful, while ignoring the hundreds of posts on these forums complaining about the people that easily circumvent the coding, is willfully withholding the entire story.

Agents of Change permitted hundreds (thousands?) of players from being driven off these servers where they previously would have been unable to experience generations of raid content and left in frustration. This is why servers like Phinigel and Mangler have a more stable raiding population to draw from as their population slowly (compared with uninstanced servers of old) decreases over time.
  4. Runes Augur

So what is your plan to kill a boxed army if you don't have power to out DPS them? If your argument is that a Pvp server will allow you to deal with the box armies, you still have to out dps them to kill them.

Or else you will just get killed by them over and over.

Right?
    Risiko and code-zero like this.
  5. Runes Augur

I am very on topic but you continue with PVE derrangent against anyone not posting exactly how you want your narrative to go.

I see many posts pushing the idea that PvP is the answer to box armies and I posted why PvP is not the only answer.

You can add to the salt piling up around you, won't stop me from posting my opinions.
  6. Brazy Augur

u gotta jump thru a lot more hurdles cheating on truebox then non-truebox

people complain about cheaters and ur logic is sense few people have selected to jump through hurdles and cheat lets just go back to everyone easily being able to cheat. got it.

i hope they open up a non-truebox named the Clockwork server for all the cheaters and "legit boxers like you" lol and a truebox pvp for people who wanna kill the cheaters and not have to wait around for a gm to come do somethin
  7. Brazy Augur

also aren't majority of the raids in later Everquest instanced as is? don't think AoC have such a big deal later in the TLPs life but I could be wrong as I dont play everquest past level 65
  8. Stagentti Augur

Yeah. They are.

AOCs have their biggest impact early on with attracting and keeping players.
    Aneuren likes this.
  9. Aneuren Tempered Steel

You can't even begin to deny the evidence right here in these forums. Hundreds of posts calling out the mass boxers that exist to this day on the "truebox" TLP servers. Snippits taken of bazaar windows with thousands of farmed materials that should have taken months of 24/7 gameplay to accumulate. Look through reddit, look through youtube, look pretty much anywhere that EverQuest players are allowed to post their proof without being censored. Even the Luclin ban wave for VM boxers did very little to deter the mass boxer armies. I'm still waiting for the ecstatic posts celebrating Truebox for finally eliminating the mass boxer armies.

I'm super tired of being told that Truebox, which was supposed to prevent these abuses, and for which the community of small-numbers boxers have been expected to sacrifice our enjoyment (which you may not care about but we do, and I'd think proponents of a PVP TLP rule set would at least understand), has been anything other than a dismal failure. Let me be perfectly clear - when even one mass boxer is able to function on these TLP servers, much less the plethora of armies running nearly nonstop, the purpose of the coding has failed and it operates only as an exercise in frustration for the legitimate boxers that have fun running two or three boxes.

Let's see what else Truebox was heralded for - preventing the third party hacks from operating on the TLP servers. Within months, the hacks were once again active. An entirely new program now exists specifically for people on TLP servers. Warping was rampant on Mangler in Firiona Vie in the fight for VP keying, and anybody who was there for it likely still remembers the name of that one particular hacker.

Truebox has not served its purpose since nearly its inception. I sincerely cannot tell if the people who herald it on these forums do so out of sincere belief or out of ulterior motives, but the motivation doesn't matter. The oh-so-popular Ragefire boogeyman "oh it would be worse without it," without a shred of evidence to prove it, is always bandied about as if it were an objective reality - and yet, mass boxers and warpers still function quite nicely to this day. Because it makes them money. Because they are willing to spin up new accounts to keep their reliable source of income. Because they do not need to invest much effort into their characters. Because to them, reputation does not matter, they do not care about Veteran rewards on their accounts, the only thing that matters to them is their bottom line and as long as that remains profitable, they will continue.

And so those people can continue to exist and end-run around Truebox with near-absolute impunity, the rest of us boxers have to jump through our own hoops, buy laptops and minipcs, clutter our desks with unnecessary equipment, just to play the game that we love in the manner we played it for over a decade.

Perhaps I'm too frustrated. But if Darkpaw does release a PVP TLP, don't be shocked when you run into mass boxers, and don't be shocked if it isn't as easy as you think it will be to fight an army of perfectly-synchronized pets and spells.
    Dulu likes this.
  10. Brazy Augur

ill never understand your logic i guess.

a few people cheat truebox lets abandon truebox, a change that drastically curbed the amount of 6+ fully automated boxes, and go back to the wild west.

i know for fact if you record and report people they do get dealt with, eventually.

people on these forums tend to underestimate the level of psycho Everquest players are. I know many people who legit 6+ box on truebox servers like psychos. people find that hard to believe but I assure you they are out there and quite a bit of em and many of them get falsely reported.

im all for a non-truebox server like i said i couldn't careless. i do think there are enough people who enjoy mass boxing to support a non-truebox server just as i think there are enough pvp bros to support a pvp server.

i think its safe to say the vast majority of EQ TLP players don't enjoy boxers though and prefer a server that attempts to limit that, which is why i dont think a non-truebox will be as popular as people tend to think it will be
    NinjutsuMMO likes this.
  11. Dulu Augur

@aneuren

We both see the same problem. Your solution is to basically legalize murder.

The current system is a slap on the wrist, no jail time.

I am proposing we actually punish the people you describe and deter this behavior.

Look at p99 as an example. You think people dont want to box there? They dont because they know they will be punished.

Pvp solves a lot of these problems, but also enforcing their own rules would be a great start.
    NinjutsuMMO and Aneuren like this.
  12. Stagentti Augur

As I was saying earlier the issue is proving someone is boxing on 1 computer vs multiple computers.

The former is obviously against the rules but you have to be able to prove it before DPG will ban a paying customer.

p99 is enforcing no boxing at all (at least from what I've been able to find) which isn't the same thing.
  13. Fleeting Augur

You arguing that I'm saying pvp is bad and contradictory to the new server . I simply said the current state of pvp. That doesn't imply a top or anything. It's like me referring to a broken raid, can it be fixed yes how long or will it who knows. You can't take one sentence out of a post and try and use it to sound contradictory to everything else if it's not ment that way and maybe that's me and my poor grammar. Pvp as it sits now I can kill you before you even see my hits register on your screen. New tlp pvp with the revamps to dots and aa etc will be a whole new monster which I stated in my last post. I've read through your posts and it seems you simply just don't want a new tlp to be pvp because why again? My assumption would be your a krono farmer and this could hurt your pocket. I'm probably wrong and you will quote something in my post say it's wrong and then cry but that's okay. We on zek are used to tears. You also ignored my analogy of if they had only 1 raid every expac with the same mechanics would you continue to raid just that one or would you quit and find a new game. Them restarting all your tlps over as blue servers aren't classic why don't you go play p99 if you want a blue server they thrive over there because of the set up. Quit trying to spearhead others would be my advice or did you get banned for rmt on that server so here we are ?
  14. Fabulous New Member

The TLP scene is long overdue for a PvP server.
    We can finally see who truly are the best EQ players. :D
    NinjutsuMMO and Dulu like this.
  15. Maneuvre Augur

16. Maze Elder

EQ pvp soivah please I giff 2 left testes
    Dulu likes this.
  17. Runes Augur

Still don't want it be was too good a Pic not to like
  18. Aneuren Tempered Steel

I understand what you mean, and threw you an upvote because I don't disagree with you in concept. I just ask you to remember that the reason I want to "legalize murder" in this hypothetical is because the EverQuest law wasn't sufficiently tailored to only catch murderers. So people that weren't, or were barely, a bother - we all get the short end of the stick in this. I box a Warrior, Cleric, and Bard. I run the Warrior on my main PC, the Cleric on a mini PC, and the Bard on a laptop. When I did this on Fippy, I loved it. What was once a nice, sleek dual monitor setup however, is now transformed into a clumsy setup just so actual offenders can take a few minutes and end run the entire law anyway.

So here I, the idiot, went through all of this effort to entirely change my setup and habits, to box three characters that certainly aren't winning any DPS races or blocking anyone out of content, for what? Because I love the game, obviously.

But why do I want to legalize murder as you say? Because the law hurts me even more than it hurts the mass boxer, and because the enforcement will almost certainly be circumvented every single time not by people like me, but by the people with a financial incentive to do so.
  19. Dulu Augur

Embedding youtube disabled?

It's a no-win situation. I think the ideal scenario would be.. you come and enjoy the game on one character, join a guild with like-minded people and have fun.

Barring that, sure, let's open up a non-truebox server, where everyone can bot and multibox. Call it Clockwork.

The most fun part of EQ for me is playing with people. Not bots.
    NinjutsuMMO likes this.
  20. Starc New Member

Came to see what the new TLP is this round and saw this post.

I for one think it would be a nice change of pace to get a PvP server and mix it up from the same watered down TLPs we got so far. Teams PvP something like World of Warcraft has with the alliance versus the horde would be awesome.

Sign me up!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.