Server Discussion - Non Truebox rule set.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by dreamweaver, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Robomax Elder

Non Truebox rule set. With Instances and AOCs . Starting At Trilogy.
    Ya? U Like ?
    Fraggly likes this.
  2. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Truebox is not why server from Phinigel and on succeeded.

Those servers succeeded because pickzones and AoCs.

The problem is we just got the ruleset and those other instanced/multiplied content at the same point in time so people like to point to Truebox as they reason it succeeded. Picks and AoCs helped prevent cheaters from monopolizing content and allowed anyone to raid which is what kept populations strong.

Even with Truebox but no AoCs, most of those servers would be dead by GoD because you had nothing to do from classic-PoP when one guild monopolized all the raid content.

In summary remove Truebox from older servers like Phinigel and Agnarr and see what happens
  3. PVPme Augur

Nah, the Truebox code + the company who makes the popular hacks for Live agreeing to not make it for Truebox is what curbed the cheaters.

Of course being able to spin up an instance was definitely a great factor for getting new people back into EverQuest but it WAS NOT the reason we didn't see horde and hordes of third party scripters running around like live/standard servers. This was also a big reason many people came back to Phinigel.
  4. Aneuren Tempered Steel

This is true. I have tried to have this conversation so many times before, but I just get shouted down. Phinigel launched after two servers had just went through the most toxic old world content without instanced raid content. It was awful. I was there, and I was a part of each of those raid scenes. You simply can't put into words how terrible that open world raid competition was. Literally the worst, most toxic behavior I have ever seen in any game, full stop.

It is impossible to state the tremendous increase to quality of life that instanced raid content added. Unfortunately, they added in Truebox at the same time. I played on Ragefire, I played on Lockjaw, and I played on Phinigel, for the launch and first expansion of each server. On Ragefire and Lockjaw, I never had the doomsday experiences that people are saying existed with mega boxers. Yes, mega boxers existed, but they really didn't impact my game play much at all. I boxed three characters, Quasii boxed three characters, and we were able to have fun whenever we logged in. We took the same leveling path that we have always taken and were able to walk right into most of the same camps that we have always camped. On Mangler, I've run into more mass boxers than I ever did on Ragefire and Lockjaw, mostly in Plane of Hate.

Now, what would really make this a non-issue? LDoN style instancing of all of the most popular camps. For whatever reason, LDoN instancing has never seemed to impact the servers as much as fully-populated picks or Agent of Change instancing has. Whenever LDoN has launched, you've always been able to watch the leader board so you definitely know there are tons of instances spinning up. But having gone through LDoN a few times now, I've never seen a drastic increase to server instability when that expansion launched.

You really want to make this a non-issue? Non-truebox Agent of Change servers with most-popular-camp-instancing, or even viable-leveling-path-instancing, would be the best of all worlds.
    Skuz and Fraggly like this.
  5. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Nah, the reason on Phinigel there were 25 guilds completing PoP and 20 guilds completing OoW, with raiding schedules across all time zones was because from the start AoCs were available to raid in at your own leisure and pickzones were more easily created to offer viable leveling paths.

Truebox surely reduced the number of boxers and greatly reduced the number of cheaters using programs that automate or greatly assist in play. But that was 4 years ago. By now the methods to bypass Truebox are well known and commonly used and another cheater program has popped up that does the same thing as Macaroni but works on Truebox servers.

Truebox has failed, if they want to think of a new way to limit boxing on earlier TLP servers they could do that but continuing to use a system that does nothing to inhibit cheaters and prevents legitimate players from boxing without using multiple computers is stupid.
    Skuz, Fraggly and Aneuren like this.
  6. PVPme Augur

You are right, I do agree AoC was definitely one of the best things for TLP's and a big factor in Phinigel's success, but I just don't think that it was the ONLY reason.

Truebox was an overwhelming success but if you wanna think it failed by all means that's your right.

The mass consensus from players, from what I gathered from my time on TLP's, was they strongly disliked mass boxers (aka 6+). If you think because a few cheaters figured out ways around it means we should just open back up the flood gates I don't think we'll ever agree.

I do think a non-truebox server is due with AoC though, but I just really hope a Truebox is launched along with it. I have nightmares about Ragefire and all the mages armies. You'd be a fool to think there won't be more box armies on a new non-truebox TLP then what we currently see on Mangler.
  7. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

The full time armies will always follow the server with the largest population that needs the most help.

Which server do you think will have more?
    Truebox - a majority of the population can't box
    Non-truebox - a majority can box

I'm not saying the non-truebox won't have box armies with 24 people, but the full time RMT folks are for sure going where the demand will be at the highest and competition is lowest.
  8. PVPme Augur

These "full armies" have never inhibited my ability to farm what I want on a Truebox like they have in the past on Non-truebox.

My issue about non-truebox is not so much the boxes either. It is the third party programs which script/automate the boxes. You can play just one screen and all your minimized EverQuest boxes play themselves. This style of play is widely accepted as "safe" so long as you don't abuse the more powerful things the program can do like warp/fade. Who knows though maybe I was just very unlucky when I played on Magefire.
  9. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

That's because magefire and dupejaw both didn't have AoCs. I played on both, boxing was out of control like no tomorrow I'd never play any server that didn't have AoCs.

Right now truebox or non-truebox = doesn't matter you can box on a single PC. Full automation, warping etc was just normal on mangler when I left months ago.

Pro's & Con's I guess.
  10. PVPme Augur

AoC aren't gonna make places like Chardok/Efreeti/Hole (just a few off the top I can think of) any less awful to camp. Picks might make it a tad better but I'm not convinced since the mass amount of boxers will make it much more painful, especially since they will need krono much more to fuel all those accounts.

Sure, the raid gear wont be terrible to acquire but everything outside of that will still be dominated and the people only boxing 2-3 will be bullied, I'd argue more so then you currently see on Mangler.

Again I'm all for it, just give us a Truebox & a PVP Truebox ;) to choose from to go with the non-truebox server. :))
  11. Fraggly Augur

Choices are good. PvP and standard with all the TLP features!! People seem to want Mangler to survive so no truebox this year, other than the new PvP server for the reds.
    PVPme likes this.
  12. pinco Lorekeeper

non truebox 2 months unlocks starting at classic eq with group requested instances so that box armies cant dominate the server,why starting at original eq? because if you start at the trilogy its to much to get flagged for and get your equipment and quests done for 3 expansion these way even non hardcore players can catch up some.
  13. pinco Lorekeeper

new non truebox tlp means a lot more subs for daybreak which runs a busniss to maximise profit no new server less income.
  14. Vexn Elder

Not as much as you think. A non-truebox would turn off a whole lot of TLP players waiting for a new server, like me.

Missed the Mangler ship but ready to jump on the next server. If it its non-truebox I will definitely not be playing and going to another game I guess :(
  15. Fraggly Augur

Many of us feel this way about standard TLPs as well. You haven't missed any ship on Mangler unless you believe all Truebox servers die at PoP or you just want to play classic-luclin and need a new server every year to do that. A standard server isn't meant to appeal to Trueboxers, there are multiple servers to do that already please go join the community on one of them and have some fun.

It would be as much as he thinks because i know i would start out with 3 accounts and over time i would certainly end up with more. Same way it went down on Ragefire.
  16. wildone Elder

hoping darkpaw opens up up a nontruebox and a truebox server at classic with 2 months unlocks,with classic lvl exp but modern aa exp so you got to struggle to lvl but the aa come easy.
    why one of each so you please both tlp crowds the ones that hate truebox and the ones that love it.
  17. AtabishiWoW Second best guild leader you'll ever have

I've 6 box'd on every TLP, and even I would be reluctant to play on an unlimited box server, but that would really depend on the rest of the ruleset. For one, to me it doesn't matter if a server is True-box because I play with 6 computers with a 6 monitor mount, so maybe my perspective is different. Even on an unlimited box server I would still play with this set up, because alt-tab boxing is the worst most annoying and non-efficient way of boxing, and using 3rd party programs to automate my boxes just seems extremely pointless and unfun to me.

The biggest thing to me though when I think about an unlimited box TLP is that I don't feel like it would last very long. It's not like back years ago when krono was flying everywhere and most people had massive hoards of it. I have a feeling the economy on an unlimited box TLP would be pretty bad which would make it pretty hard for people to get krono to pay for their boxes. Although I have to admit this could potentially end up having a positive effect as well. Maybe after a few months you wouldn't even see mass box armies on this server because they simply can't afford it.

Either way, I have a strong feeling that all the people who are only wanting this kind of ruleset so they can box 1-2 toons, are going to be in for a sad awakening when they see how that kind of ruleset causes more problems than it fixes. AoC's don't fix everything, you spend the majority of your time in the OW.
  18. Brazy Augur

Daybreak out here trying to come up with the worst possible TLPs possible by going back to what didn't work. Sounds about right

Name this server: The Clockwork Server

should be fitting with the amount of bots it'll have on it
  19. birisu Elder

The appeal to me would be that once the TLP hoppers get bored and move off the server I could still happily box without the truebox rules. Alternatively I would be happy with a server that announced it was truebox until a point and then they were turning it off. I have absolutely no interest in progressing long term if I have to suffer through truebox on the server forever. I would have actually been interested in miragul but truebox in more modern content is a huge turn off
  20. AtabishiWoW Second best guild leader you'll ever have

Yeah well you gotta make it to those later expansions with a viable population, else you might as well just get a group of friends and go play live and progress through the expansions at your own pace.