I'm Your New Community Manager!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

Is this Data Center change related the formation of Darkpaw Games? It was assumed Daybreak would operate the Data Centers for all games still. Is each studio now going contract its own Data Farms?
  2. dreamweaver Community Manager

It is not, this was a planned change under Daybreak, Darkpaw is not operating it's own data centers at this time.
  3. malicious rexx New Member

any possibility of server mergers in the future? can I offer a suggestion? instead of a new server like the current heroic server that was just started, maybe offer some free transfers for people to move about some before the annis begin? or after?
  4. dreamweaver Community Manager

I can't speak to any server mergers at this time, but who knows what the future holds. If those are planned in the future I will try to give all of you enough notice to prepare.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

AB moving as well?
  6. Moege Augur

/Imagines a panelvan with a crate of disks driving from one place to another.
    Herf likes this.
  7. Herf Augur

Ahhh sneakernet. Nostalgia :)
  8. Zanarnar Augur

Shoebox full of microsd cards is still the fastest way to move data around the world ;)

https://what-if.xkcd.com/31/
    SunDrake likes this.
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

What I hope it isn't.

[IMG]
    Knighted likes this.
  10. xxGriff Augur

So I'm trying to go thru and glean Info on the Feb 11th downtime. I like that our new community manager is active and providing info, answering as best able. THEN, after reading the name Dreamweaver for the 7-8th time... I conclude Dreamweaver is a Bard and using "A Tune stuck in your head" how Insidious! now you all must suffer with me!
  11. Tanacious Lorekeeper

I really hope that the data center move is to one with SSDs at bare minimum. (Although I could hope for NVMe M.2s, maybe even S4 PCIe direct interface?!?....)

The lag when just interacting with a vendor, TS container, quest update, leveling up, just about anything that causes a data information change/exchange between multiple databases makes EQ look like it's on it's last legs. (And hamster powered)
    Hopefully this data server will be much better, more powerful with up to date hardware, and worth the 48 hour downtime.

I know it says 24, but propagation rules of the interwebs, especially when changing A references of a big site or service such as EQ, may take a little longer than 24 hours in reality. This is suggested both from just migration complexities, and from the fact that I am sure DPG doesn't want everyone to get the "host not found" error.

Also, I do recommend making this public note that it may be longer than 24 hours to allow for proper synchronization, as you are choosing 1 of 3 very internet heavy days right before valentine's day, because people forgot to order something for their sweetheart. It may or may not affect the whole situation, but some people aren't aware of how monumental this process actually is. (I've been through many many of these types of migrations/redirects, if it wasn't obvious already.)

I will be sure to start pulling lots of Elven Wine out of my picnic basket to prepare in game, and hand them out freely if I see any general chat chatter about it.

I am actually really excited about this, and I hope it improves server side game performance as intended!!
  12. Roladdar New Member

MySpace attempted a data transfer a few years ago, without doing a backup, prior to doing it. And all the data got corrupted, during the transfer, thus losing 14 years of data. MySpace referred all users complaints to the computer operator who did it....So I hope EQ does a backup of data first? before doing the data transfer.
  13. xxGriff Augur

Ahhh now I hear Dreamweaver with Tom Servo singing it! o_O sorry, figured some levity on this rather big day :p

[IMG]
  14. JBoggs30 New Member

EQ has gone dark!!!! We're all going to die! (eventually)
  15. keeney New Member

Just out of curiosity since I couldn't find anything regarding the specifics of today's maintenance... Is this solely a migration of data from one data center to another on newer hardware or are you physically moving your current data/hardware from one data center to another?
  16. Knighted Journeyman

Is this a CA campus to TX campus move in the data center?
    Elyssanda likes this.
  17. dreamweaver Community Manager

It is not, this isn't a physical move as much as it is a data only migration.
  18. strongbus Augur

so is this more of you guys got some new system and moving the data from the older system to new ones?
  19. Soulbanshee Augur

They got green-lit to update from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005.
    keeney likes this.
  20. FaloverC Journeyman

Welcome! I've been seeing some positive changes in Everquest recently. I've had three petitions settled very equitably. Thank you to whoever made that happen.
    FrostHaven and OldCa61 like this.